“ok, but have had better Ritz Carlton stays in other cities” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Hotel Credit & More
Ranked #26 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Ny, NY
“ok, but have had better Ritz Carlton stays in other cities”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

I was disappointed the level of service during my stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Boston Commons. The room, a Club Level Executive Suite, was what I had expected from The Ritz-Carlton or any other luxury hotel. The only drawback to the actual room was its location next to the elevator and the lack of any view from the room.

My wife and my disappointment was in reference to the level of service and the Club Level accommodations. My wife and I first stayed at a Ritz-Carlton during our stay in San Francisco, and also had Club Level accommodations there. The two experiences could not have been more different. The staff at The Ritz-Carlton in San Francisco were very courteous and attentive. Within the first hour of checking into the room, we were contacted to see if we needed any help with dinner reservations, tours or anything else in the area. The promptly got us into a restaurant, which we had wanted to try but were unable to secure reservations on our own. The guest manager also visited our room to provide us with a welcome present. We were pleasantly surprised at the selection and quality of the food offered throughout the day at the Club Level Lounge. This was one of the best hotel experiences we have had, and was a key reason why we choose to select the Ritz-Carlton when we traveled to Boston.

Our stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Boston Common, had a rocky start. We arrived at about 5:45, although we had originally indicated that our estimated check-in time as 2:00. Even though we arrived almost four hours after the time we indicated, our room was still not available. Although we indicated that we had dinner reservations, the person checking us in was not very responsive and prompt in fixing the situation. After almost 15 minutes, he finally gave us a temporary room to change for our dinner reservations. Because of this delay, we almost did not make our reservations. Even though the person checking us in indicated he would call when the room was ready, he never did. The absence of an apology and poor attention to detail was very offsetting. Fortunately our room was available when we returned.

In the morning, we were also disappointed at the food available in the Club Level Lounge. There was a very limited selection and the quality was not what we had expected based on our experience in San Francisco. Because we were so disappointed in the selection and quality, we did not return to the lounge.
Later that night we ordered room service. The food was horrible and part of our order was wrong.

My wife and I were also disappointed in the concierge service. Although we inquired about a restaurant for Sunday night, we did not get any information. We also were unable to locate the concierge when we were in the Club Level Lounge.

Because of the lack of attention and the general inattentiveness of the staff, we were very disappointed in the level of service we received at The Ritz-Carlton. Based on this experience, The Ritz-Carlton Boston Commons will not be necessarily be my first choice when selecting a hotel in the future.

• Liked — cleanliness of room
  • Disliked — level of service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Indonesian first
Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

I stayed in a Park view suite in May, the hotel was a standard Ritz Carlton. The room was very neutral in decor, the service was representative of a typical Ritz. Pros to the hotel include a great location, I went jogging in the Commons every morning plus they have a superb weight room. There's plenty to do in nearby Boylston and Newbury street. The Copley Plaza is only a short stroll away. The only Con, well the hotel offers nothing distinctive other than the gym, therefore I apologize to all for this uninspiring review.

• Liked — Location & Workout room
  • Disliked — The mind-numbing decor
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2008

We just completed our stay at the Ritz Carlton Boston Common, and I must say, that I actually feel a sense of loss leaving such an amazing place. I've been in Boston since January for work, and have stayed at other luxury hotels, but the Ritz Carlton was the best experience I have had.

My wife and I have stayed at the Ritz, Mandarin Oriental and Shangri-La in Kuala Lumpur; the Park Hyatt in Tokyo; and the Penn in Hong Kong, but the Ritz Carton Boston Common trumps them all.

We stayed for 3 evenings in the club level room, and from check-in to departure, everything was perfect. The personnel at the club lounge were attentative, friendly, and caring. We had our 9 month old daughter with us, and everyone was very friendly and tried to give my wife as much help as possible.

One of the ladies working in the club lounge, Barbara-Jean, was always very helpful and took extra care of my wife and baby. She even gave us a little toy for our daughter to play with, and always answered my wife's questions quickly. I wish I can remember everyone elses name, but I'm horrible with names!

Also, we requested a late check-out since I was working, and it was iffy until the night before. The guest room supervisor, Lance (I think that's his name), was in the hallway and while chatting I mentioned I requested a late check-out because of my wife and baby. He said, "Consider it done" and we were able to leave around 5pm w/o any problems!

Finally, the room service was excellent at the Ritz. I'm not a fan of room service, but the food was amazing!

I was a huge fan of the Mandarin Oriental, and still am, but I have fallen in love with the Ritz Carlton now. Keep up the excellent work and don't change a thing!!!

• Liked — Attenative service!
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2008

I stayed at this hotel just one night so I dont have too much feedback - except that this hotel has a great gym! Its a Reebok sports club next to the hotel - huge with all sorts of equipment, space, and light.

Hotel itself was clean, v nice as you would expect from a Ritz. Modern, spacious rooms. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

This was our second stay in 6 months at the Ritz/Boston Common, and I don't know when I've been treated better! Hotel staff anticipate your needs, call you by name, and are incredibly gracious in an old fashioned, warm way. We stayed 5 nights both times, the most recent time was for my daughter's wedding. We wedding party and many guests stayed and the experience was amazing. The wedding planner was excellent. Food was first rate. The new ballroom is a great place for a meal for 100+
I would stay there again in a hearbeat. We will have beautiful memories of the wedding and of the wonderful venue. Soft goods (upholestry, drapes, bedding) have been recently upgraded and the service is "white glove."

• Liked — The service was excellent!
  • Disliked — There's nothing I didn't like.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2008

I had an exceptionally good experience at the Boston Ritz in April 2008. The reviews that criticize the views are valid, but that was the only thing I found at all wanting. The staff, starting with Jasna at the front desk, were uniformly excellent. The Club is spacious, had good food, and had a tremendous concierge staff. My room was big and very well done.

I travel a lot. This Ritz was outstanding.

• Liked — Great staff
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

We stayed three nights at the Ritz-Carlton Boston Common over Easter Weekend in Mar 2008 while visiting family.

Check-in:
We arrived at the hotel late (around 9pm). We had reserved an executive suite room. Upon arrival, Sonya at the front desk upgraded us to a luxury suite. We were thrilled, but when we got up to the room, it was next to the elevator shaft, which was quite loud. So we called down to tell her we needed to downgrade back to the executive suite. Well, by that time, they must've given away our room (either that, or they never had it to begin with). We had to wait over an hour before another executive suite was ready. The new room had a Common view, but we were told the room was reserved for the next two nights, so we could only have it for one night.

Room:
The executive suite was so spacious. It had a hallway closet, half bath, spacious living room with a desk, french doors to the bedroom, a bedroom closet, large bath with double sinks, soaking tub, glass shower and toilet room. The bath products were Bulgari and there were complimentary products for the soaking tub.

Service:
The service at this Ritz-Carlton was just as stellar as you'd expect at any Ritz-Carlton. The door staff were friendly and would greet you each time you left and returned. We ordered room service each morning and it was always on time. On the last day, they did mess up one food item, but it was still delicious. Some of the nice touches included bottled water and towels for runners returning to the hotel after a jog in the Common each morning, complimentary hot chocolate each afternoon (so great after being in the blistering cold!) and a $1 million art collection throughout the hotel. You can ask the concierge for a brochure for the self-guided tour of the art.

Location:
This was the best part about this hotel. It is literally steps from Boston Common. It made it easy to walk the Freedom Trail and is close to many of the monuments Boston is famous for. We caught a matinee of Avenue Q at the Colonial and it was just a 10 minute walk. It's within walking distance of Quincy Market and just a little beyond that is the North End. It also has a train station nearby to get to other parts of the city. The only thing that I thought was weird was this hotel is connected to a movie theatre and is actually BEHIND it, so it does not directly face the Common. The hotel is on the 9th-12th floors of the building and only like two rooms on each floor face the Common - most rooms have a "city view" or a partial view of the Common. But there are lots of restaurants within walking distance, plus the shopping at Quincy Market. There's even a CVS just down the block.

Food:
We ordered room service each day for breakfast and the food was always great! They messed up our order one day, but we didn't mind because it was so tasty! They recommend reservations if you're having breakfast on Sunday morning, since Jer-Ne (the restaurant) is not that big. We had drinks in Jer-Ne one evening and the martinis on the menu were great. I highly recommend having something off the dessert menu.

Check-out:
It was quick and easy. The video checkout wasn't working, but they give you a statement on your door the last day and all you do is hand it to someone in the lobby if you have no disputes. Two days after we checked out, my credit card got some mysterious additional charges. After talking to them three times, I finally got them to understand that I had switched rooms after one night and that I didn't actually have two rooms the whole stay. They refunded my $800 once they figured it out, but without apology, which was unfortunate.

I still loved the hotel and would definitely stay here again on a return trip to Boston.

• Liked — The location and proximity to the Common and the Freedom Trail
  • Disliked — The inconvenience of having to change rooms twice
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Boston Common? Share your experiences!