“you cannot beat the Ritz-Cartlon service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Hotel Credit & More
Ranked #26 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Port Hope, Ont.
“you cannot beat the Ritz-Cartlon service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at the Ritz for 3 nights in August 2012. We enjoyed the amenities and service of their club floor during our stay. The room was standard at best (for a Ritz) due to the decor and view, but the bedding was luxurious and the bathroom was high end. Unfortunately, due to state fire laws, they can no longer accomodate roll away beds in the rooms, so that was a bit of an inconvienience for a tall family of 4 including 2 teenagers of opposite sexes. We made due with extra pillows and a duvet on the floor.
The location cannot be beat in downtown Boston. We parked the car and never needed it the entire time we were there. Other than one taxi ride back from the USS Constitution and a subway ride to Harvard, we walked everywhere.
The exceptional customer service training the entire staff has taken always makes staying at the Ritz a pleasure. My husband loves to chat with the front door staff who always have great recomendations for anything he asks. (this time it was local watering holes!). We always enjoy the club floor staff who absolutely go out of thier way to find out why you are in town so they can help you enjoy your time. They are quick to offer bevarages of your choice at a moments notice and seem to love engaging in conversation to make you feel at home and cared for.
As a family, it is nice to know that the kids can drop in to the club lounge anytime for a drink or snack (or an attack on the gigantic candy bowls found throughout the lounge)... no stress of feeding a hungry child (and teenagers seem to be forever hungry!) just as you want to sit and relax for a bit!
The gym is amazing - believe the hype - and check out the view over Boston Common from its expasive outdoor balcony!
If you can, stay here - it's worth it for the pampering and luxury. The club floor is a must.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Indonesian first
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

The guy checking us in was trying to multi-task, and he failed miserably. Hampton Inn does a better job than that. I requested a New York Times to be delivered in the morning (3-night stay). They failed each and every time. At Hampton Inn, you are paying a reasonable price, so this type of thing can be overlooked. At the Ritz, you are paying through the nose for their reputation. In my opinion, they do not deserve their lofty reputation.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

You would think for the price they charge for a room at the Ritz this place would be great, well I was was not overly impressed. The location on the other hand was perfect for someone who wants to just get out and explore Boston. This hotel is located in the Middle of town so it makes it very easy to walk and see all the local sites. The freedom trail was great and walking to Little Italy is also alot of fun. If you can you must hire a local guide to show you the sites.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Have stayed at many ritz's in my travels so for the sake of travelers time, this hotel is one of the best in Boston. Stay here if you can. Gave it a 3 for service because of one reason. Stayed here for 4 nights. And one night, my 15 and 19 year old children went out to the movie theater(conviniently located), upon returning(at about 7:00PM), the bellhop asked them for their room keys. Now, I understand the idea of security, but honestly? I doubt two children are going to do anything in the hotel, or even have the drive to just randomly walk into a ritz. All in all, a fantastic hotel. Just a bit confusing.

• Stayed March 2012
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

The staff at this Ritz is fabulous - attentive, affable, and truly committed to guest service. The sleeping room was not significantly larger than other rooms in other properties, although the bathroom had a sunken tub together with water closet and shower stall. The toiletries are not impressive (considering that it's the Ritz) and its proximity to what looks like part of Boston's skid row (Boylston St) leaves a little to be desired.

Room Tip: Corner suites have double exposures!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Freehold, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed here for work so I can't really speak to price (although we got a very good group rate from what I am told). I arrived on a Sunday night and ordered room service. I got some NE clam chowder and a salad with salmon. The price - $45!! Wow. That shouldn't have surprised me but I had a bit of a shock when the bill came. I have to say, it was delicious though. The chowder is amazing and they give the best oyster crackers.

I was in a conference room for 2 days but anytime I needed assistance at the front desk, hailing a cab or even when I asked for a bag of ice for a sprained ankle, everyone was amazingly nice, helpful and efficient. I would be remiss if I didn't mention the individually wrapped jelly bellys that we had in the conference room. If that isn't first class, I don't know what is :)

The room was beautiful and quite spacious. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My sister and I met here for a quick summer weekend meeting spot. We stayed on the club level. We love this hotel for so many reasons, and this trip matched and exceeded our past experiences.

First, we love the club level. The food and drinks are really great. We are both healthy, picky eaters and there is plenty for us to nibble on. For us, the offerings really do suffice for a perfect breakfast and lunch (dinner, you probably need to plan on something more... but appetizers pre-dinner are delish!). The club lounge area is large and mostly quiet. The club concierge was very helpful and the servers attentive, but not overbearing.

The other bonus of the club level is complimentary access to the fitness club attached to the hotel. If you are a fitness person at all, this club will exceed your "hotel gym" expectations by leaps and bounds! It is a gorgeous facility that rivals the best gyms I have ever belonged to (and it is a private gym that people belong to! They have baseball courts even!)! This time, I took a spin class (all included in stay) and then enjoyed the other machines. (In the past, I have gotten a locker an enjoyed the steam room, etc. It is really a 5 star gym!)

As for the rest of the stay, I booked on-line and mentioned that it was a special getaway for my sister and me. The day before I called and re-iterated some of our requests (actually did it via email because I couldn't get through via phone, but did get a manager's email from the phone call). When I arrived, I was lucky enough to check in with the manager I had emailed with. They couldn't honor my request for two double beds, but she did even better and upgraded us to a suite! (We each had our own bed: one bed, one pull-out sofa.)

The room wasn't ready when I checked in early, but, they sent me up to the club level for lunch and took my cell #. They called approx. an hour before actual check-in time to offer a comparable room on a different floor from the club lounge, or we could wait for our room on the club level. We took the room (one flight from the club lounge). The suite was great... there were two bathrooms; a nice size "living room" and french doors which separated that from the master bedroom. The master had a great closet and the full bathroom with a tub and separate shower. It was classic Ritz Carlton... immaculate; luxurious; spacious. We had a partial view of the park, which was nice.

We also checked in with the concierge about dinner ideas. He had several good suggestions based on what we told him we wanted. We ended up at a spot right around the corner from the hotel and had the best, most unique dinner! (Sushi and hot pots... Korean and Japanese... so good!! and so close!!!) We finished the night with too many delicious desserts and glasses of prosseco at the club lounge. It was perfect!

I tried the Taj in Boston recently... and, sorry to say, it did not compare to the Ritz, at all. I have stayed at the Four Seasons Boston and the Mandarin in Boston... and really, the Ritz is my favorite. It is the club level, the gym, the attention to detail and the beautiful care we always get that keeps me coming back.

Room Tip: Email any room requests the day or two before your arrival (in addition to noting those requests whe...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Boston Common? Share your experiences!