“Nice small hotel with great roof terrace” 4 of 5 stars

Beacon Hill Hotel and Bistro
25 Charles Street, Boston, MA 02114 (Beacon Hill)   |
Ranked #49 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Nice small hotel with great roof terrace”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Great hotel - very nice kerb appeal - in a great location. The staff on reception were both knowledgeable and helpful. My room was a good size and the facilities also good. I was next to the roof terrace and worried it would be noisy but i needn't have been - it was very quiet and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay!

Room Tip: Rooms on the street side are a little noisy - try to get a rear facing room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We loved this hotel. It is our favourite part of Boston - the beautiful and historic Beacon Hill district. Having flown in from London we were tired but had a delightful dinner (albeit pricey) and loved our room. The rooms are not big (as some have mentioned) but ours was a good size and lovely with very comfortable beds. The staff could not have been more helpful - they advised us on sightseeing, restaurants etc. and did all they could to help us. Excellent breakfasts too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I wish I'd read some of these reviews before I stayed at this hotel.I found it very disappointing. It's in a good position, the breakfasts and the staff were nice but the rooms were tiny. My husband and I were on a special holiday for my 60th birthday, touring New England so we thought we would start by staying at an expensive hotel in a good area. What a mistake! The room was tiny, I'm sure it was meant as a single, and it was next to a roof terrace where people could smoke and drink, fortunately it was too wet for that. But we had to wear raincoats each time we went down to breakfast as we had to walk across it. At over $600 inc tax, for 2 nights we expected something better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We picked the hotel because of the price ( reasonable for Boston) and the location
the room was small but well appointed with a comfy bed
we arrived at 2pm but our room wasn't ready until after 3pm. The girl on the desk was helpful and carried our luggage to the room . the guy on the desk the 2nd day was friendly and helpful
the breakfast included (except for the 18% tip) was excellent
the hotel is 2 minutes from the Common and from the Public Gardens. we walked every where we wanted to visit and really enjoyed the cheesy "Duck tour"
would recommend the hotel if you are visiting Boston. it was a joy to stay there and if we are in the city again I would go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The hotel is located in Charles Street, about 100 meters from Boston Common and Boston Public gardens, beautifull parks which are only separated from the hotel's block by a Starbucks. There are only 13 rooms. We had a tasteful modern room (#204) of limited size (as so often in a city environment) but smartly furnished. Size ex bathroom was 4x 4.5 meters. Bathroom with bath and properly function waterworks. Free and speedy WiFi. Clean and well maintained. Attentive and friendly night staff. Surprisingly quiet during the nights. Elevator.
The restaurant gave us mixed feelings. It is very busy and dinner reservations are advised. The menu offers different and interesting dishes and ours were well prepared. An annoying negative is that about 50% of the staff has no clue about hospitality. Some being rude, not interested, even impolite and others non attentive or making mistakes which should be avoided. The other half is excellent and we had the impression that especially the afternoon and dinner brigade needs to be upgraded or replaced in order to please the customer as a place of this signature should do. We also noticed different, more active behaviors of staff when the owner was present. The beautiful city neighbourhood has plenty of nice restaurants and it is no problem to find alternatives in the same street, on walking distance, where service is better and food is at least at the same level. It is recommended to make reservations as well for lunch and dinner.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed at the Beacon Hill Hotel and Bistro over Labor Day weekend. After doing a little research on the train ride to Boston, we called the front desk from the station and made a reservation. We didn't know what to expect so we only booked one night. The manager checked us in and explained the amenities (roof top patio, common area, breakfast etc.) and then showed us to our room. Our room was excellent, not too large, not too small, just right. Well decorated. The room and bathroom did not feel "hotelish". COZY is a good word to describe the space. Before we left for the evening, we booked a second night!

The next morning we had breakfast in the Bistro. Again we didn't know what to expect. The manager had told us that the breakfast was fabulous and we just figured he was trying to upsell it, but it was pretty close to fabulous. Not your normal hotel breakfast. You order from the regular menu. Every we tried was very good. The second morning, I asked our waiter to decsribe their salmon and cheese omelet, he said it was amazing. Again, I thought he was trying to upsell it, but it was excellent. I would eat at the Bistro regardless if I was staying at the hotel.

The hotel fronts a fairly busy street which can be good and bad, depending on your personality. Up and down and around Charles street are a wide variety of shops and restaurants. Grab some wine and cheese and enjoy the roof top patio.

The only issue we (I) had was the early Sunday morning trash pick-up and the sound of glass bottle bottles being dumped. Although it woke me up, it was nothing that a couple more hours of sleep and a hearty breakfast couldn't cure. Also, the TV (in our room) was hung on the wall to the side of the bed, which mad it difficult, but not impossible, to watch in bed. This was not a big deal. We didn't watch a lot of TV and I've experienced this setup in other hotels.

The building, the staff, the room, the bistro all contributed to creating a feeling like you were staying a friend's (very large) house at the shore. We could have stayed at a more expensive hotel on the water with a square room and a continental breakfast, but we stayed at BHHB and loved it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

We were given a free upgrade and I couldn't have been happier with our room. I'm so sorry it's only for one night. I didn't even want to go out for dinner 'cause I didn't want to leave my room. Spacious, comfy bed, newly painted and redecorated, quiet. I'll definitely come back!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Beacon Hill Hotel and Bistro? Share your experiences!