“expensive but it is okay” 3 of 5 stars

You added Friend Street Hostel to your Saves list
Friend Street Hostel
234 Friend Street, Boston, MA 02114   |
Ranked #36 of 45 Boston B&B and Inns
“expensive but it is okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

this hostel is quite expensive - however it is in a good area and the staff are helpful and there is lots of information in the hostel. i did not like the bed and cant even begin to describe what the "mattress" was. also every morning around 11am the cleaning lady would snoop around yelling at people to straighten up their bags. also strict rules like no alcohol...

FriendStreetHostel, Desk Staff at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! We would just like to clarify that rooms get cleaned starting at 11am so that they are ready for when guests check in after 2pm and that we need luggage out of the aisles so there is enough space for both guests and staff to walk.

Thanks!
Friend Street Hostel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I've stayed here on two separate trips to Boston this year and had good experiences both times. The staff are fantastic and knowledgeable when helping with directions. They're genuinely interested in their guests and are quick to strike up conversations about where you're from and how you like the city. Being only a few blocks from the T, the location is very convenient. I really appreciated the communal kitchen and fridge for those of us who didn't want to eat out every meal, and it's within walking distance of a Whole Foods, so it was easy to grab some groceries.

I spent a few mornings hanging out in the cafe, using the wifi, taking advantage of the free coffee, and enjoying the soup de jour. I met a few other guests with whom I've kept in contact, so it's easy to socialize there if you wish to meet some other travelers. I forsee myself coming back to the cafe occasionally even when not staying at the hostel.

The beds are not the most comfortable, but everything was clean and functional. The price feels a bit high for a hostel, but considering the location, free wifi, and free breakfast, I'd say the value is the best you'll find in Boston if you're travelling on a budget. Good stay if you're laid-back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I checked in to this hostel and was discusted. I walked in to an empty front desk, waited 10 minutes to be greeted,then when I was finally greeted I was told another price then I was quoted over the phone. I was told the room would be 33.00 a night on the phone and was asked to pay 47.00 when i arrived. Luckily I had my booking number so they honored the quoted price.(how gracious) After a being checked in I was lead up stairs to be shown my room, we passed a dead roach on the stairway.I was shown where the bathrooms were,I was told about the free breakfast in the cafe and also invited to a free dinner the owner was having in the cafe! So when the employee left I had a look at the room. The beds have no mattresses, the have thin pads. I feel like they would be better described as yoga mats then beds. And they are placed on hard metal rails, it's painful. Then there are the lockers, they look like they came from an old high school. Most of them were broken and all of them were dented.I took a walk over to the bathroom and found 2 stalls for the entire hostel. the bathrooms did not even have sinks to wash your hands. The shower stalls had no locking doors and if you were bathing all you have between you and the rest of the hostel is a simple plastic sheet. Looking in the shower I saw roach number 2. I decided I would not stay at this hostel, the filth and lack of proper beds was not something I wanted to deal with. I went to the front desk and found a sign telling me the staff was down in the cafe for a party. So I made my way to the cafe (now,this was the dinner the staffer invited me to) The moment I walk in I was yelled out (this is a staff only event!) I said I need to check out! Go upstairs yelled a voice from the back of the room. I went upstairs and a few minutes later the employee that checked me in asked me why I wanted to leave, I said I did not want to get into it but I would like a refund and I would be on my way. He told me I would have to go down stairs and talk to the owner. After my last trip downstairs I did not want to go back.When the owner finally came up to talk to me he asked why I wanted to leave..I told him about the bugs and the small mattress pads and he said well lets have a look. grabbed a flashlight and went upstairs! When he came back he told me that he found no bugs and that I had made some serious accusations! I said "I would just like my money back and I will be on my way" he told me that there was a 24 hour cancellation policy and that I would have to pay for 2 nights! I was only in the hostel for 10 minutes before I had seen enough filth to cringe! I wound up only paying for the night(which is still bogus!) but in the end I won, I found a much nicer hostel (hi-boston on stuart street) That is brand new has tons of amenities and a great staff for less money! I would avoid this hostel, and from the way the owner runs it I doubt it will be open much longer anyway.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
FriendStreetHostel, Owner at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Hi Jimmy, it is unfortunate to hear that you felt you had such a negative experience at Friend Street Hostel & Cafe. However, reading over your review I feel it is inaccurate in many areas. We do not have roaches or any other pests and we most certainly have sinks in the bathrooms. Each bathroom is equipped with three sinks and three shower stalls, each stall having two clean shower curtains for added privacy. In regards to your comments about our cancellation policy, you will find this clearly stated on our website and on the sign in sheet you sign when checking in. Most any lodging has a cancellation policy that it must follow to be fair to all. During the Fall Feast that both staff and guests were made to feel totally welcome to, and that was occurring when you arrived, we offered you several opportunities as a guest to eat for free and enjoy our company as fellow travelers. It is unfortunate that as a traveler yourself you missed all of these value added benefits in your 20 or so minutes with us. But, it is my hopes that should you be in the area again you would give us the chance to show you an even better side to the hostel. Our staff work tirelessly to ensure that every guests has a great stay. In the future, feel free to let us know in person how we can better accommodate you rather than slamming us on the internet. All would end much better I assure you. Safe travels!
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Nice people in a very friendly space so cousi like home. I adore all the host and the details in everything. Good work guys and continious like that. One the most amazing things was their receve us with chocolates chips cookies make for them and every night they prepare a soup for you if you want.
This place I recomend if yu want something for good price, in an excelent location with very nice people.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
FriendStreetHostel, Guest Relations Manager at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you so much! Hope you can come back soon =)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Wouldn't recommend staying here. Prices are far too high. I've stayed in a few hostels around the world and this is pretty close to the worst. Everything is outdated, beds rattle about at any slight movement. Try stay somewhere else if you can

• Stayed August 2013
FriendStreetHostel, Guest Relations Manager at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Hi abro08, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are responding to comments like yours as we continue to update and improve our facilities, including getting new mattresses. I'm sorry that you felt the prices were too high, but our accommodations are among the lowest priced available within Boston. We hope you'll stay with us again on your next visit to Boston!
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Facilities here were clean, staff were friendly and helpful. But I wouldn't return just because of the price, US$50 for a dorm bed?! Really? The aircon in the rooms is really, really loud too. But the location is excellent, right in the middle of restaurants and bars, and not far from the waterfront. Subway station is really close too.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FriendStreetHostel, Manager at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Hi Cee Cee,

Thanks for leaving your comments for us! I'm glad our staff made you feel welcome, and I understand how you must feel about our prices. I completely agree that we might be priced a bit higher than hostels in other parts of the country or world, however this is due solely to the fact that Boston is, in general, a very expensive city. We are proud to offer the most affordable accommodation option in Boston, and hope you're able to come visit us again soon!

Best,
Bria
Kiel, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Well, it's an average American hostel, nothing special. Nice staff, decent and apparently clean rooms. No surprises there I think. I liked the breakfast, which was served in the cafe underneath the hostel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
FriendStreetHostel, Manager at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Hi Leo,

Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments for us. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your stay with us, and hope you were able to enjoy Boston as well!

Best of luck with your travels!

-Bria

Been to Friend Street Hostel? Share your experiences!