“Best Cannoli!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dessert
Dining options: Dessert
“Best Cannoli!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

During my short stay in Boston, I tried cannoli from three different places: Maria's, Bova's and Mike's Pastries, and I have to say, Maria's is the best! The one at Mike's, the filling is too airy for me, though they do have a lot of flavours to choose from if variety is what you want. The one from Bova's was disappointing, it was pre-filled and it stored in the chilled display case (fridge), I had it right there and the crust was already soggy. At Maria's, they fill it when you order, it only comes in a couple of flavours. I had the original cannoli, the crust was crunchy and the filling was rich, sweet with a slight citrus/floral flavor (can't really pin point what flavor it is, but it's tasty!). Even better paired with a shot of their espresso !

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Italian Bakery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We've been coming there for years. Whenever I go to the Haymarket on Saturday to shop, I make sure to stop at Maria's for pastry, bread and pizza. My husband loves the Tiramisu. I always get a fresh filled ricotta cannoli - delicious. So good. The pizza is excellent and we always get a piece no matter what time of day it is. They heat it up and it is really good. The bread is good too.The family that owns it has been there for years and are very nice. One of my favorite places.

• Visited December 2012
Southern California
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Skip the touristy Hanover street and the long lines at Mike's and Modern. Come here instead. These women came here from Italy. They know how to do it RIGHT! I had this place on my list of foodie places to go when I saw Lidia Bastianich go here and interview Maria. I too wanted a picture with Maria but she was not there, but her sister was and I got a picture with her! In my photo, that is my sons eating away but behind them is a popular Boston food tour! I bought just about everything in the store at some point. You can go across the street and eat your treats in the little park with water features or stop here if you are walking the freedom trail like we were. We came here quite a few times as we seemed to be eating every hour. Maria's is located in between the heart of the north end by the church and the Boston Market area. I would suggest trying things you don't normally try or have been exposed to. I went in and tried the chocolate-handmade with almonds and another day went in and tried the famous pastry with dried fruits inside (forgot the long name of it- stratta - something?) The last one sold after me and a woman practically cried when she found out there weren't anymore. The cannolli's? Oh my god! I want one right now! I was practically giggling when we walked by the hour long lines at Mike's and Modern...if they only knew!

• Visited August 2012
Dallas
“Best cannolis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

As a young child I learned how to make cannolis with my Italian mother. Therefore, I am picky. Maria's bakery has the best cannolis I've had outside of my mother's kitchen. They fill them fresh so the shells stay good and crispy. So much better than Mike's

• Visited December 2012
new england
“this place is heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

maria's is wonderful. they have some of the best pastries we have ever had anywhere, and I am a cannoli lover. Everything we have tried from the bakery is perfect. try the eclairs!

• Visited April 2012