“Chocolate from the Bald Guy - great for gift giving” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Max Brenner - Boston is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #519 of 2,835 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between Fairfield and Exeter
Transit: Take the MBTA towards Government Center. Our restaurant is located closest to the Copley Station.
Description: Max Brenner, Chocolate by the Bald Man, the first restaurant entirely devoted to chocolate, provides a "chocolate mood:" a person being surrounded by huge bricks, candles, pralines, colorful toy tins and crates filled with cocoa beans. Each person"s chocolate experience is exclusive to the individual as it brings out different emotions in each and every person. This can be experienced at our retail shop and dining room. In addition to our unique chocolate, we also offer delicious savory foods. Whether it is our famous Brenner Burger or Mac & Cheese, there will be something for everyone in the group!
Savannah, Georgia
“Chocolate from the Bald Guy - great for gift giving”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Wide chocolate selection, not best value in Boston, but so catchy with " chocolate from the bald guy" in the signage. I think they would make an excellent addition to a gift basket. For example the Brenner hot chocolate mug had a pretty small orange patterned detail and a shape to warm your hands while drinking it. Cute and giveable. Easy to find on Boyston.

Visited November 2012

Spokane Valley, Washington
“almost like Willy Wonka”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We loved this place so much we had to come two nights in a row! Interesting chocolate concoctions, some only so-so, but others over the top! Who knew that chili and cocoa powder on waffle fries was so delicious!

Visited October 2012
djmarty2002
“Disappointing Experience after many great ones”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

It gives me great pains to actually have to write this review considering how long my wife and I have loved dining at Max Brenner but a rather unusual and unexpected experience a couple of weeks ago leaves me no choice.

My friends and I had 7:00 p.m. reservations. We were seated promptly but it was the behavior, service and basic lack of attentiveness of the server that we were greatly disappointed with.

Whether she was overworked, had too many tables, new on the job or whatever the case might be is something I am not sure of. All I know is that it took her 2 hours and 24 minutes to turn over a table of four people who had 4 items for dinner, 3 items for dessert and 5-6 drinks for the whole table. Our water glasses were never filled unless we asked for it. It took her 15 minutes to come to our table to take initial drink orders, 15-20 minutes after we finished dinner to ask us for dessert and at no time did she ever ask us if we wanted another drink or not. At the end of the night when my wife wanted the rest of her Turkey club to go, she said that she was going to bring it out when we were leaving. Well she was nowhere to be seen after the check was paid so we had to leave without taking the food with us.

Her mannerisms and tone of voice was at times insulting. My wife ordered an espresso martini, something she has every time we visit Max Brenner. What was brought out to her tasted like a chocolate milkshake with no hint of espresso or coffee in it. When we requested the waitress to check with the bartender, she took it back and brought out the same thing and in sort of a highly belittling tone said “is that what it tasted like before?” We gave up…we weren’t going to get anywhere with her.

On a positive note, the food was in general very good – my steak and mushroom quesadillas, the mac and cheese, the Turkey Club, the onion rings and the fondue were excellent as always.

An email to Courtney Moore, listed as the General Manager on their website, has gone unanswered for two weeks.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“To Die For”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I am not a sweets person. However, we stumbled on this place late in the evening. they give sample chocolates in the store. we had an ice cream sundae that was full of flavor and texture without being overly rich. awesome.

Visited October 2012
Herndon, Virginia
“Breakfast in Boston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Steps from our hotel, we checked out Max Brenner for breakfast. I was worried that it was empty (it was close to 10am), but it turned out they had just opened for the day. I had the best breakfast burrito and a delicious cappuccino. As with other Boston establishments, it was on the pricey side but worth every penny. It was hard to walk out of there without an armload of chocolate, but we managed. Will definitely go back there the first chance I get!

Visited September 2012