“A Special Place” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Deuxave is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 2,846 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, French, Italian, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Massachusetts Avenue
Transit: Green Line Hynes Convention center #1 Bus Stop at Commonwealth Ave
Description: Co-Owners Brian Piccini and Executive Chef Christopher Coombs are proud of their award winning Restaurant & Bar, Deuxave in the Back Bay. The inspiration behind the restaurant’s American Nouveau Cuisine is seasonality, with a focus on working with the finest farms and purveyors, sourcing out the freshest, local ingredients and amplifying their magnificence. The cuisine is strongly rooted in the nouvelle techniques of contemporary French cuisine, married with the splendor of American ingredients in a refined, but casual setting. Deuxave’s (pronounced doo-ave) name plays homage to its location at the corners of Commonwealth Ave and Massachusetts Ave.
Texas
“A Special Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My wife found Deuxave on Trip Advisor before our recent trip to Boston. What a find! The food was remarkable and the service perfect - attentive, helpful and knowledgeable without being snooty. The menu was creative and varied. I had the Heirloom Beets to begin and the Colorado Lamb for the entree. Both were beautifully presented and were extremely flavorful.

The wine list is excellent with a number of excellent choices.

This certainly a special place a a great choice for a special occasion.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Turkish first
Whitley Bay
“Faultless Revisited”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Sometimes you can have a dining experience that is “of the moment”. Perhaps the experience is as much to do with how you are feeling, the person you are with, than it is about the place itself or the food that you eat. Expectant return therefore can be a singular disappointment.

Last year my wife and I visited both Boston and Deuxave for the first time. My review of Deuxave was unsurprisingly entitled “Faultless” but actually captured in a word our feelings about both. In deciding to return this year (and only a short few weeks ago) we were anxious to re-live that experience and discover whether or not last year’s visit had been one of those ”of the moment” events.

Anxious not to miss out, I attempted at the turn of January of this year – more than 5 months before our visit – to make reservations via Open Table. That far out from the date, of course, there was no chance. Having been so impressed first time around I was determined nevertheless not to be disappointed by not securing specific reservations. I therefore e-mailed Deuxave directly.

I received a most welcome response from the General Manager, Mr. Jason Irving himself, personally securing our reservations. Yes, that’s right reservations – plural. We booked for both of the Saturday evenings of our vacation. I was delighted and took this as an early indication that we would again enjoy wonderfully romantic evenings, good food, wine in an equally wonderful setting with tremendous service.

We arrived in Boston, Friday 24th May which was but a short time following that cruel and tragic event inflicted upon the citizens of that beautiful City. We found the City as vital, energetic and as open and welcoming as ever.

To get down to details now however....

We arrived deliberately early on both of our evenings in order to enjoy one of Deuxave’s delicious cocktails before dining (can I recommend the Playa Piccante). We received a genuinely warm welcome. When shown to our table, without doubt it had to be one of, if not the best table in the restaurant. I’m telling you all of this because it is important to set the scene and acknowledge that the environment, the ambience of the place is vitally important in the enjoyment of the meal.

Upon being seated and choosing our wine (on both occasions we went for one of the many impressive Italian Reds – the wine selection is excellent), we were also served an amuse-bouche.
We selected our choices:

Visit 2
Same starters
Entrees, Pan Seared East Coast Halibut and Spiced Long Island Duck Breast
Dessert, we both chose the Assortment of Glace and Sorbet

On both occasions each course was a triumph and as we settled into a comfortable and relaxed state, conversing whilst enjoying the wonderful food, our table provided an intimacy that allowed us also to absorb the unintrusive background noises of this lively and hugely popular restaurant. We had the enormous pleasure of meeting Mr. Irving and being able personally not just to offer our thanks but also our congratulations. The service was excellent, knowledgeable, attentive, and personal but at no point did it intrude.

Being entirely objective, over the 10 days of our vacation we enjoyed some wonderful food in some excellent restaurants. This however, undoubtedly, was the best. It is not surprising and not without justification that Deuxave consistently appears in any list of top Boston restaurants. If you roll together total quality, consistency and ambience, this has to be number 1. Both of our evenings delivered superb dining experiences that have since become the stuff of wonderful holiday memories.

To conclude, in choosing the title of my original review , “Faultless” was perhaps a reaction to a superb first time experience. Having revisited Deuxave not once, but twice on our last visit, I congratulate myself that in having chosen it I have firmly and squarely, as we say here; hit the nail on the head. So, if you’re in Boston... please...don’t miss out, give yourself an absolute treat.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Port Charlotte, Florida
“A Meal and a Memory”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

After a long journey, my 27-year-old daughter finally graduated from UMass Boston last month. The graduation itself was a 7.5-hour ordeal in 92-degree outdoor heat, but the real celebration was yet to come. I'd checked TripAdvisor ahead of time and booked dinner at the #1 restaurant in Boston. I barely knew how to pronounce its name (they don't "ellide" the name as the French would do), but that didn't matter.

I let the hostess and our server know this was Delia's graduation, and they were absolutely wonderful to us. We started with a side dish of fiddleheads and marble potatoes--which Delia knew, up until now, only from her cashier's job at a fruit and vegetable store. She already knew their value but now could enjoy their flavor when prepared perfectly in a cast-iron serving dish. Next, we tried foie gras, which I've only had once before, in a tablespoon-size bite that I thought was barely sufficient. This was an entire FOIE, which Delia was game enough to try and then left for me to finish, bless her heart.

Our main courses were the crispy chicken with spinach and artichokes, which melted under the fork like butter. I had fish, with asparagus and a wonderful crisp something-or-other on top. It was the best fish imaginable, and it, too, melted like butter.

We had to have dessert, of course: banana ice cream, banana balls, chocolate, and caramel crisp. Best of all, the server saw to it that "Congratulations!" was written in chocolate on the rim. Delia now has a photo of this as her cell phone wallpaper.

I'd say the shocking check was well worth it, and we are in Deuxave's debt for a truly memorable celebration!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dothan, Alabama
“Great service, wonderful food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Our server was wonderful to 10 women from the south. We had to order from a limited menu since we were 10, but the steak, halibut and duck breast were all wonderful. Desserts, great. Thanks for a great birthday meal in honor of 2 of our friends!

Visited June 2013
Massachusetts
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

One of the best meals I have ever had. The food was absolutely fantastic not to mention the service. Our server was very knowledgeable about the food as well as the wine pairing, which in our opinion is very important. I had the salmon appetizer and my husband had the Scituate Lobster and they were probably the freshest fish we have had in a restaurant. Our entrees, of the Striped Bass and Colorado lamb were both to die for. We had such and enjoyable relaxing night that will never be forgotten.
My only criticism is not enforcing the casual elegant dress code stated on their website. For such a nice restaurant it's a bother to see kids in shorts, tee shirt and flip flops and adults in jeans and a sweatshirt. If you feel like dressing the way you would to go to the neighborhood pub than go there.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Deuxave? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Deuxave, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.