“The Perfect Birthday” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Deuxave is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 2,820 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Massachusetts Avenue
Transit: Green Line Hynes Convention center #1 Bus Stop at Commonwealth Ave
Description: Co-Owners Brian Piccini and Executive Chef Christopher Coombs are proud of their award winning Restaurant & Bar, Deuxave in the Back Bay. The inspiration behind the restaurant’s American Nouveau Cuisine is seasonality, with a focus on working with the finest farms and purveyors, sourcing out the freshest, local ingredients and amplifying their magnificence. The cuisine is strongly rooted in the nouvelle techniques of contemporary French cuisine, married with the splendor of American ingredients in a refined, but casual setting. Deuxave’s (pronounced doo-ave) name plays homage to its location at the corners of Commonwealth Ave and Massachusetts Ave.
Brookline, Massachusetts
“The Perfect Birthday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Most dining experiences can be divided into two categories: memorable and everything else. Besides being the perfect Birthday, my dining experience at Deuxave will bring back many sweet memories.

My wife booked our reservation through Opentable and called ahead to ensure we got choice seating. Being my Birthday, we were both ready to splurge on calories (points to those on a weight program). We decided to have a poultry dinner staring with the Seared Hudson Valley Foie Gras followed by the spiced Long Island Duck Breast. I have ordered this combination at restaurants all over the world, and rarely does it live up to expectations. Christopher Coombs really outdid himself when we created these menu items.

The liver was tender, generous, and juicy accented with ginger cake, wine poached apples, and an apple and pear compote. In the center was a Spiced Pepita Brittle that added a counterbalance to the texture of the Foie Gras.

The duck breast was uniquely prepared with breast meat slices served over lentils with Arugula. On the side were prunes stuffed with Port Gastrique accompanied by turnips in a honey glaze and sauce Robert. The sauce was mixed in nice with the lentils which added body to the lean breast meat.

For dessert we split the white chocolate and spiced pumpkin souffle'. Souffle's are elegantly decadent, but when combined with white chocolate and pumpkin it become heaven.

What was best about Deuxave, was their extensive wine list. Being light drinkers, we found their large selection of 1/2 bottles a wonderful surprise. Usually we settle for a meager selection of wine by the glass, but on this night we had an excellent Bordeaux to enjoy.
Wait staff at Deuxave are attentive and friendly. Our waiter was very good at anticipating our tastes and steering us in a favorable direction. We ended up with choices that were perfect for our occasion.

We ended the evening with a plate of brownie, macaroon, and guava jelly petit fours, Happy Birthday written in chocolate, and a candle to make a wish.

If you are visiting Boston, and want want a special dining experience I suggest you plan ahead. reservations fill up well in advanced.

• Visited February 2013

San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Five star food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

1st time dining at Deuxave a bit hesitant since all the reviews were excellent and didn't want to be disappointed. I was wrong from the moment we entered the ambiance was beautiful, we had some cocktail drinks. The main entrees such as the duo of lamb chops, the tagliatelle, mushroom raviolis,were outstanding. We were so pleased by the service, the quality and amount of food plus the wine selection that we asked to meet the chef. At first I thought he was the the sous chef since he was so young(28yrs) and he told me he was the exec chef, Chris Coombs. Congratulated him and his staff for a memorable experience. It's becoming our favorite restaurant in Boston. Can't wait to go back!

Easton, Massachusetts
“Sure thing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We had 8:15 Saturday night reservations and arrived early for drinks. Street parking is next to impossible and settled for $17 valet parking. Had a drink and approached the hostess around 8:15 who told us two tables were clearing out. Waited another 15 minutes while nobody told us the status and I approached the hostess, who told us that people were done, but just wouldn't leave the seats. Oh well. Another 5 minutes went by and they got us a nice window table after our 20 minute wait.

All of this was well worth it. Two of us ordered duck, which was outstanding, my wife had the bass, which she enjoyed, and can't remember the other dish ordered. I also had the lobster & gnocchi appetizer, which was outstanding, if a bit short on the gnocchi. Others ordered desserts. I didn't. They seemed a bit on the pricey side. But those had, enjoyed. I can't imagine ever going wrong in selecting Deuxave.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Intimate atmosphere and THE Best Cappuccino”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

First time experience while celebrating a special occasion. We made reservations two weeks in advance and could only get early or late seating. That was ok. The dining room is intimate, cozy and quiet, perfect for couples. We were tucked in the back and couldn't enjoy the ambiance and decor, so ask for a table closer to the center or front to enjoy the atmosphere if you like that. Our server was helpful, friendly and personable. The cocktails were unique and good. We tried the onion soup and it was very aromatic and flavorful. Our meals were the duck, a specialty, and the bass. Both presentations were creative and enticing. The sides with each were perfect. Our meals were ample and fabulous. We had no room for dessert but the selections made it hard to pass on it which again were unique creations and mix of flavors. Next time! Definitely have the cappuccino. The best ever. We will try again when the weather is warmer and we can walk around. The location is also fabulous.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Sublime eats”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My friend and I came in here for drinks and apps. We were so bummed we had dinner resies elsewhere-this place is amazing. I had a citrus cocktail and my friend had a red wine. Both were delicious and described in incredible detail by the bartender. The bartenders were very personable and gave us some great advice on spots to visit while in town. I had a beet salad and it was unbelievably fresh. It was so beautifully prepared. The kitchen also sent up bread and butter which I am taking the time to mention because it was better than most food I had that weekend. The bread is apparently delivered hot and fresh from a local baker. The butter is from Europe. It was the most sinful combination. Our whole weekend was pre-planned so we couldn't have a full dining experience here but I cannot wait to go back. The service, ambiance and few items we had were unbelievably memorable.

• Visited January 2013