“Exquisite dining” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Menton

Menton
354 Congress St, Ste 101, Boston, MA 02210-1295 (South Boston)
617-737-0099
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Menton is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 2,816 Restaurants in Boston
Cross street: A Street
Munich, Germany
“Exquisite dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

On a Superbowl Sunday evening, I noted that two third of the American population are not watching anyway, so why should I? Instead, I used the opportunity to sample yet another Bostonian restaurant. And the Menton probably counts among its finest, if not the best.

You enter a refined dining room. The first you receive is a winelist which lets you choose, among others, between five pages of sparkling wine. I had a Gin Lavender Lemon aperitif - tastes better than it sounds.

You are being greeted from the kitchen with a string of amuse bouches, some of them presented atop a glass jar of stones or dried corn.

Instead of the fixed price menu or the chef's tasting, which both look good, I tried three appetizers: the hamachi was exquisitely prepared and well accompanied by pumpkin seed, curry and sorrel. The horseradish velouté, served at the table, came with quail egg, brioche and beech mushroom, a perfect blend. The terrine of foie gras came close to the best I ever had, at Harald Wohlfahrt's Schwarzwaldstube. Oroblanco, an otherwise completely superfluous fruit, made sense, as did the ginger.

If you did not think chicory is suitable as a desert, try the chicory cremeux, which came with hazelnut, apple and star anise.

The staff being extremely attentive, the kitchen super quick (ok, it was not fully seated that night), it was an exquisite dining experience. Value for money - I paid almost as much the other night in another restaurant, but this was a stratosphere above in quality and presentation. Strongly recommended.

• Visited February 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
“Birthday celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

When we walked into the dining room at Menton we were struck by the mix of comfort and elegance. If you are looking for a superb fine dining experience this is the place to go. The food and service is truly distinguished. Courses are delicious little bites, but there are many of them. You will not leave hungry. Wine selected for us was great. Our only disappointment was we had hoped to start our evening at Drink with a pre dinner cocktail. The line to get into Drink was up the stairs and almost to the door. We walked two blocks to Strega and enjoyed our pre dinner cocktail with them.

• Visited January 2013
Boston
“Best of Boston!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is the place to go for that special occasion. The staff are all welcoming and attentive. Service is always superb. The food was 5 star in my opinion. My fiance consider Menton the best restaraunt in Boston and one of the best we have been in - BBe that North America, Latin America or Europe.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Shirley, Massachusetts
“Chefs tasting menu with wine pairings at Menton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The staff extremely attentive. We arrived early so they had us take a seat in the lounge and brought us a beverage and offered a comp snack as we awaited. Attentive, friendly service throughout. Early course items are bite sizes but with the number of plates related to portion will fill you. Found most of the pairings extremely complementary but the timing and quantity came a bit fast for this diner (towards the 3-6th pour) . My dining companion did not order the wine pairings but instead ordered specific offerings as they were poured. This was a celebration meal for my guest. The staff brough a complementary treat at the end to wish her well. I was unable to even eat the last 2 courses as I hit my own personal wall. The detail to food preparation, wine pairings, service and ambiance are why Menton is top rated. Next visit here we will try the Prix fix menu vs the Chef tasting.

• Visited December 2012
Natick, MA
“Great Place for a Special Occasion!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

If you're looking for a restaurant to celebrate a special occasion, Menton is it. The food is excellent and the sevice is superb. The dining room is contemporary, but has a softness to it. All of the servers were friendly and professional and not a bit pompous. I definitely recommend it.

• Visited December 2012