“So Special” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Houston, Texas
“So Special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

I left feeling "so special". While the hotel is chic and beautiful its the people that make this place so charming. I was there with 2 friends celebrating my birthday on a 4 night weekend. From the front desk greeting upon arrival to checking out, everyone smiled, laughed and took the time to pass on a great feeling. We took advantage of the loaner bikes they provide and biked all around Boston one day, SO MUCH FUN AND SAFE! The hotel restaurant Woodward is AWESOME! the food is so good but again the service and staff is the best. They were not just a day maker, but a trip maker. Thanks so much Ames, you were all great!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
NinaSweet, Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2011
Thank you so much! I'm so happy that we were able to make you feel so special. I love that you had such a great stay and enjoyed the weather, the bikes, the food, and of course, us! I would love for you to come back again soon, and please feel free to email me at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com so that I can help with your booking!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Miami Lakes, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

We loved our stay at the Ames so much we made it the host hotel for our wedding in November 2011. The service was impecable from check in to check out, everyone was very accomodating. The room was gorgeous with such an amazing view. Room service was great, but its better to just eat downstairs at the Woodward, the food is delicious. If the weather is chily, we recommend you get a shot of Harlem.

We will back in August to finalize the wedding plans, and I must say the management has been graciously accomodating all our needs and wants. Our guests are thrilled with the rates and look forward to the wedding later this year.

Room Tip: The loft is worth it, best view!
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
NinaSweet, Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Wow! Thank you so much! Congratulations on your impending nuptials, and I'm SO thrilled that we get to be a part of your weekend! We can't wait to welcome you back either, and if you need any assistance at all getting things booked, please feel free to email me at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com. November is just around the corner!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

I flew in on the red eye across country. Immediately I was greeted by outstanding front desk service, even though it was 6:00 am, the front desk got me into an amazing room right away. Considering the entire state had begun descending upon Boston for the Bruins Parade, this was no small feat. From the time I arrived until the time I left, everyone who I encountered while working there provided a smile, an interest in what I was doing, provided insider tips into some of Boston's hidden gems, and always checked to make sure everything from transportation to the tours we took were was going well. The hotel is spotless, chic, and up to date, while managing a cozy and intimate feeling. The fact that you are literally in the middle of the city and can walk from Back Bay to Beacon Hill was also a selling point

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
NinaSweet, Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2011
Wow! Thank you so much for your review! I am absolutely thrilled that we were able to meet your expectations, and that you had a wonderful stay with us. Thank you so much for your comments from everything to your welcome experience to the staff! It's really great to hear. I truly hope you'll come back again, and please email me at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com so that I can help with your reservations!
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

We chose this hotel mainly because of it's position - close to the Freedom Trail; the waterfront and markets; the T and Avis (to collect our rental car). The welcome was good and the room was quiet and looked good. The walk in shower was very stylish but hard to use and water went all over the bathroom floor.
I agree with another reviewer that the air con shouldn't be set so low.
We were amazed to find that the bottle of water in the room cost $8+ tax, a ridiculous price for something that surely ought to be provided free, especially with temperatures in the 90's. There were no robes or slippers and although the shampoo was OK there was no shower cap (fairly essential in a drencher shower if you don't want to wash your hair at every shower) or additional lotions to make you feel pampered.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. I'm glad that you were able to experience Boston and found our location to be central. We do offer robes, slippers, shower caps, and additional lotions upon request. Next time you come back we can be sure to have this information in your guest profile so that we have everything set per your preferences! Please email me at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com if there is anything else you'd like me to add to your profile!
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

The Ames, while on the surface looks beautiful and the staff are courteous, is lacking some major attention to detail. The rooms look stunning upon entering and are simply appointed but once you settle in you notice things that just shouldn't happen in a hotel of this caliber (or cost!).

Examples:
- The paint on the edge of the built-in desk was chipped all along the surface from white to brown.
- "Queen" beds are NOT queens but rather Full beds -- and there is a significant difference.
- The shower curtain had marks and stains on it.
- Hair left in the shower/bath
- Yellow stains on the duvet
- A shower drain that clogged and inches of water accumulated at our feet
- Shower curtain was not hung high enough so inches of fabric are dragging in the bottom of the tub/shower
- Hot water seemed to wane over time
- We were given a DVD player that had a remote with dead batteries
- Not that it's a detail, but arriving to a hotel room that is set to 58 degrees is simply unreasonable. Try 68-72 to be more environmentally and customer friendly.

One thing I can definitely commend them on is their bath products -- I don't think I've ever been satisfied with a shampoo and conditioner provided by a hotel before staying at Ames. And, of course, good location -- so many things within walking distance including the T (subway) though be forewarned that there are not many restaurants open after 6pm in the area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your stay and your review. I'm so sorry to hear of the experience you had in your room! As you can see from many of the other reviews that compliment our housekeeping, this is certainly not typical of what we expect. I am very surprised to hear of the things you have mentioned. While I am glad that you enjoyed our bath products, I wish that you had the same memories of your room. Please feel free to email me at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com if you would like to discuss this further. I would love to know the room number you stayed in so that we can ensure the issues are rectified.
Newbury, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

We stayed at the Ames for 5 nights in May 2011, we booked via the hotels website and got a good deal by booking in Advance.
I contacted Nina before we arrived to request a quiet room, this request was met on arrival and from our room on the 7th floor which was clean and modern we could not hear the road or 'T' noise noted in some other reviews.
All the staff were friendly and knowledgeable, Charles the Concierge was excellent and very helpful for directions, red sox tickets and restaurant recommendations.
If you eat breakfast at Woodwards, try the sourdough blueberry pancakes - amazing.
The location is great for exploring by foot, within a few minutes you are in the heart of the historic section of the city.
When we return to Boston we will definitely return to the Ames.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that I was able to have a small hand in it. The blueberry pancakes are my favorite too!! It's so hard to pick just one thing though. I hope you'll come back next year, and please feel free to email me again at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com!
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

I stayed at Morgans the weekend of the Bruins vistory parade ! That was just coincidence, but it made for a memorable weekend. Ames is everything I have come to know and love about the Morgans brand: friendly and genuine staff, clean & stylish rooms, great locations in awesome cities, and usually a delicious and/or hip restaurant or bar on the property. Ames has all of these, and I feel like I am just repeating myself every time I write a review for one of these spots: I loved the staff (the front desk was VERY accomodating of my early arrival, and the servers in the restaurant - Woodward - were all fabulous ... the room was gorgeous, comfortable, and clean, as always. There really wasn't anything that I DIDN'T like about this hotel ... oh, and the location is the BEST in Boston.

Room Tip: room #302 faces the Old State House !!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you so much! I'm SO glad that you enjoyed your first trip to Ames. I hope you'll be back again! It sounds like you had a fantastic trip both in the hotel and in Boston. Please email me at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com if I can ever be of any assistance!

Been to Ames Boston Hotel? Share your experiences!