“They've expanded!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
306 Northern Ave., Boston, MA (South Boston)
617-456-2322
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #34 of 175 Activities in Boston
Type: Breweries, Food & Drink
Activities: Beertasting
More attraction details
Owner description: Please come and visit the brewery! Rich and Dan started Harpoon to make great beer and welcome beer lovers. That founding spirit lives on every day as we pour pints in the Beer Hall, take visitors on brewery tours, and share our passion for beer with fellow beer lovers.
Boston, Massachusetts
103 attraction reviews
“They've expanded!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

My husband left our Boston apartment early to go get tickets because on their website it says they often sell out. When he returned he told me the line had been quite long, but he secured us a 2pm tour for 4 as we had friends in town. He also told me they had renovated the brewery and now had a beer hall - I was beyond excited!

When we arrived, we went upstairs to the new beer hall, and it was indeed, quite large! They have beautiful large wooden tables to sit at, a gigantic bar in the middle where you can get pints or samplers, and they have beers on tap you can't get in stores. They also now serve pretzels!

We went on the tour, and it was just as good as I remember going on last year with my husband's parents. It was nice though, now the tasting room is the old starting point of the original tour, which is great because now you're not crowded into a tiny room with a load of other people waiting to go on their tour.

For $5 you can't beat going on the Harpoon tour and trying out some great beer.

Upstate New York
3 attraction reviews
“So Disappointed!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Our recent visit to Harpoon was met with great disappointment. Upon arrival we walked into mass chaos. There was no one to direct us where to go or what to do in order to experience a tasting or even to purchase a flight of beer. We finally walked up to the bar and asked where we should go -- we were told to just sit down and someone would take care of us. Wrong -- we sat and no one ever came over. When they finally started to sample, it was so chaotic that you couldn't even see the person talking and could barely hear anything she said. We were instructed to get in the long line to get a glass of what they were tasting which we did. She then started talking about another beer, but we still could barely understand her due to the noise levels. She said something about getting in line again to try this 2nd beer but when we finally got up to the counter, it was the same beer we had already tried. There were no tours on the day we were there and no history given about the Brewery. It was our biggest disappointment of our entire 4 days in Boston. Come on, Harpoon. You've got this new beer hall -- now get your hospitality down.

Haydenville, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
“Everything I wanted it to be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I loved this place!!

My only disappointment is that we first tried going on Saturday afternoon, and the line for the tour was ridiculously long, and the tickets ended up selling out after we had already been waiting for over an hour. So get in line early. We ended up coming back on Monday morning at opening, and it was the exact opposite, very quiet and few people there, which I enjoyed. The only downside to that is that they only do tours on weekends (though they said they were looking to have tours 7 days a week coming soon), so we only went to the gift shop and beer hall.

Loved the shop! Each beer has its own glass, we bought 3. Bought a hoodie a growler and a few other small things. There was a large variety of items to buy, and I wanted it all.

The beer hall was huge and very nice. Friendly bar staff. Sampled many beers before picking one. If I had more time I would have stayed for several! I would love to go back someday!

There is a $5 for the tour, but to go to the shop and sit in the beer hall is free, until you buy your beer :)

NY/NJ
41 attraction reviews
“Great way to kill some time and sample some great beers.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Needing to kill a few hours before the Dropkick Murphys show this day, we drove to the brewery and waited in line at about 10:40AM this Saturday to book a tour. Note, arrive early on the day you want to go and get your tickets for later ink the day and come back. The lines here are a little out of hand. Anyway, after the doors opened we headed up to book our tour for that afternoon. Another line, but at least they sell you beer if you want. We returned later. In the day to see a huge line just waiting to get into the beer hall. Being able to avoid that was a saver or else we would have skipped. You are given a tasting glass with some IPA upon arrival. Our tour guides then took us into the brewery and to the brew house where the art of brewing was explained.......or roughly explained. Then into another tasting room. Hint - go right to the bar, order whatever you want, don't wait for the discussion of the styles. And keep ordering. They will essentially allow you as many samples as you can drink in the time your in the tasting room. Between us, we tried about 8 different beers. The tour ends with you back in the beer hall where you can buy growlers to go or six packs.

Atlanta, Georgia
“Can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my first brewery tour, and I got spoiled. For $5 you get a tour, a neat little 4oz tasting glass, and free range of the taps for about 15 minutes at the end of your tour. Of course, you have to compete with the rest of your tour group to get to the bar, but we still got about four samples each in that time. I have been a tour guide, so I understand the job and how to tell a good guide from a bad one. Harpoon knows how to staff their brewery. Period. Our two guides were funny, enthusiastic, and friendly, but were also well organized. It's a little bit of a trek if you are focusing on the North End, but well worth it, especially for the little lobster place well within stumbling distance of the brewery. I am now a big fan of Harpoon and am excited to see where the company goes.

Visited December 2012