“Wicked lobsters and lobster rolls” 5 of 5 stars
Review of James Hook & Company

James Hook & Company
15 Northern Avenue, Boston, MA (South Boston)
+1 617-423-5501
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 2,815 restaurants in Boston
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Takeout, Delivery
Neighborhood: South Boston
Description: Located on the waterfront in downtown Boston, James Hook & Co is the go-to place for delicious, high-quality lobster and seafood. We are a third generation family business, and have been selling lobster since 1925. James Hook & Co has earned a reputation for the finest lobster in town, even earning the Best Lobster award from Boston Magazine.
Ontario
“Wicked lobsters and lobster rolls”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I decided to google "cheap lobster" during our stay, and these guys popped up. Luckily it was also a 5 minute walk from our hotel. The guys that work there are very friendly and taught us a few things about lobster. The first day my husband and I both had a boiled 1.5 lb lobster each and we fell in love; I think we came back at least 2 more times for their lobster rolls, crab cake and baked clams. We saw a few people from out of state who just bought coolers full of lobster as well. If you want to try something from them, either go for the lobster roll with just a touch of mayo, or the boiled lobster. Wicked experience. They are also cheaper than Yankee Lobster!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

91% Recommend
Meridian, Mississippi
“Lobster”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Good lobster rolls. Never had one before but this was the best. The roll was full of lobster and so large I had half for lunch and the other half later in the day. Outdoor tables made it a great place to eat and people watch.

Manhasset
“Addicted to their Lobster Roll”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We often hike to Boston all the way from Long Island, NY for the Boston Children's Museum, and stay at Boston Harbor Hotel. James Hook and Company is located right in the middle and we thought we would give it a try with a Lobster Roll. The place is not a fancy restaurant with live shell fish swimming right in the middle of the place in open tanks and with several garden tables and chairs. But who cares! They have the best lobster roll. For us, their ample parking space right on Atlantic Avenue(?) also helped tremendously.

During the last trip, I had the opportunity to taste both the North End Fish Market's and the James Hook's lobster roll. Sorry NEFM but hands down, James Hook's version was far better and I stand firm on my words.

What I was also impressed was the excellent service I got from a gentleman named Gary. We got there 15 mins earlier (the web site said it opens at 9am but it actually opened close to 10am), and Gary advised that he was going to make our wait worthwhile with generous portion of our sandwiches. He packed our sandwiches impeccably in an ice bag so that I could bring all the way back to my husband in NY. I really appreciated his gesture and made my trip even more pleasant.

I can't wait till going back to Boston just so I can taste their lobster rolls!

Singapore, Singapore
“Fabulous Lobster Roll”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We didn't manage to try Alive and Kicking (another great place for lobster roll), but James Hook's lobster roll was great - serving of lobster meat was generous and was extremely fresh and succulent. Their stuffed clams were good as well. Skip the stall at Quincy Market that sells lobster rolls.

Visited May 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Uneducated Lobster Roll Review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband and I had never had a lobster roll before, and we absolutely loved these. We ended up buying the large ones per advice from other reviews. A definite must. It was stuffed full of lobster meat.
We bought rolls to take with us for dinner, and were still a bit full once dinner time came around. We did however still eat them because they were just that good.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to James Hook & Company? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage James Hook & Company, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.