“Decent stay with free hot breakfast and free parking” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Boston

You added Holiday Inn Express Boston to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Boston
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   69R Boston Street, Boston, MA 02125 (Dorchester / Roxbury / Mattapan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #65 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Lagrangeville, NY
“Decent stay with free hot breakfast and free parking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was my second stay at this hotel. Last time was December 2010.

Still a very good value hotel with free hot breakfast and free parking for a reasonable price in Boston. Just like last time, parking lot was quite full but we did find a space. The cinnamon rolls were not as good as I remembered; it looked to me like it was packaged instead of last time was homemade; however, I love that they now have a pancake machine.

Stephen (or was it Steve, sorry, CRS strikes again) at check in was very pleasant. I liked that he introduced himself and asked how our trip to the hotel was.

I remembered from last time that there was a big gap at the bottom of the door so hallway noise, if people were loud, would carry into the room. We were close to the elevators and did not hear elevator noise, but we had a boisterous group on our floor this time who would talk and run in the hallway. One woman was talking on her cellphone (at about 10:30 PM) in front of our room and we could hear her side of the conversation very well even though we had the tv on, so we turned up the tv volume a little higher. They quieted down by 11 PM; perhaps they went out because according to my husband they came back at around 4 making a lot of noise in the hallway waking him up. Not the hotel's fault and if that group had continued to make lots of noise I would have called the front desk. I think they were part of a wedding party, and I could understand the exuberance. They likely didn't even know they could be heard so well in the rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dennis C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boston, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Yung4fr

Thank you so much for your recent stay and posting your comments online. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and for that matter, I deeply apologize that this particular visit you had to endor some issues especially with the noise levels experienced. I will relay your comments to the staff so that they can continuously improve on their efforts. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.

Dennis Callahan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Although the hotel is on the older side, the staff was wonderful and SO helpful. Alice, the concierge is just a wealth of information. Denzell could not have been more helpful with our checkin and Tonia and Caudice kept the dining area stocked and immaculate. Very convenient to the subway and other attractions. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel, nice staff, good area, and clean. Left our Mercedes for over a week in the parking lot while we cruised and had no scratches or dings. Would recommend. Used the shuttle to get to and from cruise port.

The only two disappointments I had (if you can even call it that) was 1. The place I found the cheapest rate was at www.stay123.com. When I called the hotel their rate was $40 more and they wouldn't match. Booked the room for the lesser rate at stay123.com, so that wasn't really a problem.
2. We waited almost an hour to be picked up after the cruise by their shuttle. Not a big deal because we didn't have a flight to catch. Just frustrating.

So yes, I would recommend to a friend :)

• Stayed July 2013
Dennis C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boston, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Kellydef,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on line about your stay with us. As a Holiday Inn Express hotel, we are proud of our culture and our spirit to serve. Our goal is for our guests to feel welcome and well cared for while staying with us.

All the Best

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We decided to drive the day before (From S.Jersey) and stay at the holiday
inn. The hotel was nice, we booked because it included breakfast and we
were able to leave our car for the duration of the cruise. We did have an issue checking in due to a clerk entering our information wrong, however they did fix the issue and got us a room. What I really loved about this place was the stores (Target,Marshals,TJMaxx, Applebees, etc.) were right behind the hotel. It made it easy to buy last minute things and relax. I suggest you take
the bus around 11:30am to the cruise port, we got in the cruise boat fast, no wait in lines and our room was ready on the boat but the time we ate lunch.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the lower level, easy in and out with luggage.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dennis C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boston, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear sjersey35,

Thank you for taking time to post your comments on Trip Advisor about your stay with us here at the Holiday Inn Express Boston. I was sorry to hear you had an issue at check in but very happy to hear that the guest service agent was able to accommodate your needs quickly.

The South Bay Plaza behind the hotel is such a great place as you wrote in you comments. What a bonus it is for the hotel to have such a wonderful place for our guest to go shopping. I hope you enjoyed your cruise and we hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards,

Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here.

What we loved: Free parking at the hotel, free shuttle to the Andrew station T-Stop, FANTASTIC & friendly staff, knowledgeable staff about how to navigate the T, comfortable beds, fair pricing. The elevator broke while we there and it was fixed within a matter of hours. The property is well taken care of. We were at the end of the hall on the 5th floor in a king sized room. The a/c kept us cool during a hot spell.

The downsides: The breakfast is pretty basic and doesn't contain many healthy options. The a/c was a little loud, but it did it's job, so I was happy enough. The neighborhood isn't terrible, but it's a bit scary to walk around in the dark back and forth to the t-stop. We would've enjoyed a more prompt shuttle. It's supposed to run on the :30 and top of the hour. It often ran 10-15 minutes late. I believe the shuttle should pick up automatically as well, but you have to call for a ride back, which is a nuisance.

The downsides are so minimal in comparison. We paid an extremely reasonable rate in a big city and we found this hotel to be MORE than we had hoped for.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dennis C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boston, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent stay and posting your comments online. I was very happy to read about you stay with us. I was most pleased to see you found our staff helpful during your visit. I do apologize that the breakfast was not up to you standards. The A/C issue in the room has been resolved and thank you for bringing it to our attention. We look forward to seeing you again!!

Del Haven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We drove up to Boston and took a cruise from there. We stayed at this hotel the night before our trip, just to be safe. Wehad excellent service at the front desk. He checked us in w/o a glitch, filled us in a little about the area, where we could "walk" to dinner and so on.

He even told us about the cookies at night (and not to be late!) and the great breakfast program.

There is a shuttle service from the hotel to the Airport, subway, & cruise terminal.

Again, great clean hotel, great location, and great service!

Room Tip: Some rooms have a great view of the Boston Skyline!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dennis C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boston, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear JoefromSJ,

As a Holiday Inn Express hotel, we are proud of our culture and our spirit to serve. Our goal is for our guests to feel welcome and well cared for while staying with us. I want to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on line. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and hope to see you again soon.

Warm Regards,

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

The hotel rooms seem very nice, but there are many things that really bothered me.

Here on Tripadvisor the hotel manager replies to reviews with "we are hospitality professionals", but in all their hospitality the first thing they asked for upon arrival was my credit card. They didn't even ask about my very long trip or my level of thirstiness, and I didn't get two bottles of water and a snack as mentioned in the May 26 review. I had already paid for the full stay and my cc was not within reach, so I asked whether they really needed it. The alternative was paying $20 cash as a deposit. Since I was very tired, I just gave them the cash, but I felt offended. By prepaying the full stay (around $800) a month in advance I showed my trust in them, and compared to $800, the $20 really doesn't make any difference for them. When I left, it took them 5 minutes to find the money and give it back to me.

The Wi-Fi was a big disappointment. The website promises "High-speed Internet Access", but this is only available at 3 am. During the evening the speed drops so much that even browsing and emailing become slow. Upload speeds drop to 0.5 kB/s or less, so that using Skype is impossible. Each day you had to enter some password to access internet which was sent over an unencrypted connection, so the password only bothered me and did not add any security.

Another nuisance were the curtains. All curtains. The curtains for the windows share the same rail, so it takes some time to make them overlap and not jump back. Really annoying when you get back after a long day. The curtains for the shower were even worse. I hate shower curtains since at some point they always stick against your body, but this hotel brought my experience to a new level by making the rail slope downwards towards the middle. I kept pulling the curtains to the sides twice a minute to save my belongings from the water.

The breakfast was rather poor with donuts, hamburgers and other "American" items. For the healthy traveler there was only yoghurt, milk, cereals, bread and fruit, but the bread was of rather poor quality.

The bed was comfortable and the air conditioning unit is also good. However, sleeping comfort was still bad because of the noise. The room door had half an inch of space under it to allow "communication" with other guests. The room was also lighted because of the bad curtains.

The room lacks drawers. There is just not enough space to store your clothes.

The TV is just 720p which is not as sharp as 1080p.

The hotel is at a 7 minute walk from the Andrew station (and I walk fast). The area around the station did not seem safe at night.

The hotel manager replies to reviews with "I will relay your comments to the staff", but nothing in those reviews has been addressed. Do not get fooled by his kind and "professional" responses. This is a budget hotel at a premium price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear TA789,
I am deeply disappointed to hear you did not have an enjoyable experience at our hotel. It seems so unfortunate that you never came to let us know of your issues during your stay. It would have been such a pleasure to meet you and take care of the problems that took place. We do strive to be hospitality professionals and I am very sorry we could not meet your expectations. Perhaps when you return to Boston we will have an opportunity for you be to our guest again please contact me personally if you would like to make a reservation.

Best Regards,
Dennis Callahan

Been to Holiday Inn Express Boston? Share your experiences!