“Too expensive” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Boston

You added Holiday Inn Express Boston to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Boston
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   69R Boston Street, Boston, MA 02125 (Dorchester / Roxbury / Mattapan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #65 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Too expensive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

The hotel rooms seem very nice, but there are many things that really bothered me.

Here on Tripadvisor the hotel manager replies to reviews with "we are hospitality professionals", but in all their hospitality the first thing they asked for upon arrival was my credit card. They didn't even ask about my very long trip or my level of thirstiness, and I didn't get two bottles of water and a snack as mentioned in the May 26 review. I had already paid for the full stay and my cc was not within reach, so I asked whether they really needed it. The alternative was paying $20 cash as a deposit. Since I was very tired, I just gave them the cash, but I felt offended. By prepaying the full stay (around $800) a month in advance I showed my trust in them, and compared to $800, the $20 really doesn't make any difference for them. When I left, it took them 5 minutes to find the money and give it back to me.

The Wi-Fi was a big disappointment. The website promises "High-speed Internet Access", but this is only available at 3 am. During the evening the speed drops so much that even browsing and emailing become slow. Upload speeds drop to 0.5 kB/s or less, so that using Skype is impossible. Each day you had to enter some password to access internet which was sent over an unencrypted connection, so the password only bothered me and did not add any security.

Another nuisance were the curtains. All curtains. The curtains for the windows share the same rail, so it takes some time to make them overlap and not jump back. Really annoying when you get back after a long day. The curtains for the shower were even worse. I hate shower curtains since at some point they always stick against your body, but this hotel brought my experience to a new level by making the rail slope downwards towards the middle. I kept pulling the curtains to the sides twice a minute to save my belongings from the water.

The breakfast was rather poor with donuts, hamburgers and other "American" items. For the healthy traveler there was only yoghurt, milk, cereals, bread and fruit, but the bread was of rather poor quality.

The bed was comfortable and the air conditioning unit is also good. However, sleeping comfort was still bad because of the noise. The room door had half an inch of space under it to allow "communication" with other guests. The room was also lighted because of the bad curtains.

The room lacks drawers. There is just not enough space to store your clothes.

The TV is just 720p which is not as sharp as 1080p.

The hotel is at a 7 minute walk from the Andrew station (and I walk fast). The area around the station did not seem safe at night.

The hotel manager replies to reviews with "I will relay your comments to the staff", but nothing in those reviews has been addressed. Do not get fooled by his kind and "professional" responses. This is a budget hotel at a premium price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dennis C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boston, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear TA789,
I am deeply disappointed to hear you did not have an enjoyable experience at our hotel. It seems so unfortunate that you never came to let us know of your issues during your stay. It would have been such a pleasure to meet you and take care of the problems that took place. We do strive to be hospitality professionals and I am very sorry we could not meet your expectations. Perhaps when you return to Boston we will have an opportunity for you be to our guest again please contact me personally if you would like to make a reservation.

Best Regards,
Dennis Callahan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hanover, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We used the hotel's park stay and fly package for a trip to Vancouver around frigid Christmas holiday weather. Hotel shuttle to/from Logan was great, even with an early flight. Hotel staff was very friendly. My 7-year-old and 4-year-old also enjoyed the experience.

It was easy to get to via GPS, but can be a bit confusing getting out due to the hotel's location right next to an I-93 off-ramp. The hotel shuttle fee was nothing compared to my other airport parking options, and the kids were free. Even though I left my return shuttle tickets in my parked car instead of taking it with me, the driver was very courteous and dropped us off right at the car so the kids didn't have to make an extra stop at the hotel lobby and walk to the back of the hotel to the car.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dennis C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boston, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Wachin,

What a pleasure it is to read your great comments about your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Boston. I am excited to hear your children enjoyed the shuttle ride to and from Logan Airport. I am passing along your comments to our staff for all of them to read and I will make sure all the shuttle drivers get a big high five for their efforts.

Cape Cod, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This hotel is an excellent location if you are attending an event at the convention center(s). They have free shuttle service to the Harborside area which is a huge savings in parking and/or taxi fare. The staff at the desk are extremely helpful and nice. Rooms are typical HI and the air conditioning makes too much noise (what else is new?). Good value if you are looking for convenience and service at a reasonable price.

• Stayed June 2013
Dennis C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boston, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Boston. I will pass along your comment about the ac unit to or engineering staff.

chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stayed here as it is close to UMass for graduation; Front desk very helpful; Shuttle to/from
Logan Airport is $5 per person each way-cheaper than taxi but,of course, many hotels offer
free shuttle; Room small but adequate with small fridge and microwave; Free breakfast (so-so); Claims to be short walk to "T" station (subway) and 5-minute ride into downtown & historical sights-but really a good mile walk; However, hotel offers free shuttle to T station; (recommended) if available;

Computer access in business center room downstairs (free);

Located right next door to Courtyard-which charges more for a room.

Overall, decent hotel for a relatively decent price (for Boston......where hotels can be pricy)

Room Tip: upper floor for quiet room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Boston! As the hotel’s General Manager, I wanted to take a moment to personally thank you for staying with us here in the City of Boston. We know that you have many choices in travel and we appreciate you taking the time to post your comments and providing us the opportunity to serve you. I will pass along your comments to our staff.

Bloomington, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My daughter & her boyrfriend made leisure reservations at this property based on the location & listed amenities from their website...specficially those associated with available transportation and location to Fenway Park. The website specifically states that “If you're vacationing in the area, remember that the hotel's site near Fenway Park provides convenient access to Red Sox games.” It also states that “Amenities like a 24-hour shuttle ($5/ride) also come in handy, especially since the hotel's address is near attractions like Fenway Park.”

Based upon these descriptions we were under the impression that this property was in fact located near Fenway Park and had a shuttle that would take either to Fenway or within close proximity. However, upon arrival and visiting with one of the HIE staff members during check-in they were informed that neither of these were the case. Not only is the property located several miles (an hour+ walk) from Fenway but the shuttle service does not drop off anywhere close to Fenway Park. Instead, they learned that the shuttle service drops guests one block from the hotel to the closest subway terminal for a 10-15 minute ride to the stadium.

When they showed the HIE staffer the property website and cited the above descriptions, the team member admitted them to be misleading but reiterated that the shuttle could not take them anywhere near Fenway. Needless to say, they were very disappointed in the way the property represented, or in this case misrepresented, itself. In addition to sharing this feedback with the hotel manager, they have also submitted a similar review on the HIE website.

On the bright side...the rest of their stay was pleasant, affordable, and comfortable. However, since they selected this property based on the online description and their plans to attend a Red Sox game...it was disappointing enough that they will make alternate lodging arrangments next time they are in town for a game.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your recent stay and posting your comments online. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and for that matter, I deeply apologize that this particular visit was a disappointment especially with the way the shuttle service was experienced. I have adjusted the web site and passed the information along to the staff so that this will not happen to other guest. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. I hope you will give us an opportunity to make it right in the future please contact me personally if you plan to stay in Boston I will be happy to assist you.

Jerusalem, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Nice hotel in Boston, but not in heart of the city. The great advantage of this hotel, in addition its affordability, is the free parking within the premises. Therefore, the hotel is very suitable for travelers arriving to Boston with car while traveling in the region. There is a subway station to downtown not far away. The room was very clean and well maintained. The stay was comfortable and pleasant. Free Wi Fi, Excellent TV set and receiving (all the channels were very sharp). The hotel offers basic breakfast, not exciting, but satisfying. The staff was very accommodating and helpful. When we checked in we received a bag with snacks and two bottles of water, which was really nice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dennis C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boston, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent stay and posting your comments online. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and for that matter, We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay!! We are upgrading our breakfast buffet over the next few weeks so when you return please look for the changes.

Somerset, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This hotel has been updated to suit most of the Holiday Inn Express criteria within its capability. It is most definitely an older hotel that has been remodeled. The bathroom is tiny! The floor tiles are dated and the sink area is practically nonexistent. In order to close the door you must slide in front of the toilet to do so, it is that small and for that reason alone I would rate this hotel lower. The actual bedroom size itself is adequate. We had 2 queen beds and had plenty of room. The beds were comfortable as are all Holiday Inn Express beds. This hotel is located about a 7 min walk to the Train and we did take the train into Boston without any problem. Everyone seemed willing to assist people who did not know their way around (us!) The lobby area is not very impressive but adequate. The advantage of this hotel is price ($200.) vs downtown hotel prices, complimentary breakfast and free plentiful parking. The personnel were excellent and did everything that they could to accommodate us. That was very much appreciated. All in all it was a comfortable stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dennis C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boston, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent stay and posting your comments online. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and for that matter, I deeply apologize that this stay you had a few issues. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. I will make sure your comments are viewed by our staff.

Dennis Callahan

Been to Holiday Inn Express Boston? Share your experiences!