“Location, affordable, met expectation” 4 of 5 stars

463 Beacon Street Guest House
463 Beacon Street, Boston, MA 02115 (Back Bay)   |
Ranked #32 of 45 Boston B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Location, affordable, met expectation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed in a small room on the 3rd floor with shared bath in the hall way. It was exactly what I needed for one night, and extremely affordable compared to anywhere else, with the exception of living in the hostel. Pretty humid in the room while sleeping since it doesn't have A/C. Will book again should the occasion arises.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Jasper, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

we are on our last night of a 5-night stay in the large room 1, located right off the lobby with a large bay window out to beacon street. the cost can't be beat in comparison to boston accommdation rates. upon arrival we found our room clean, the decor historic and charming, the king bed very comfortable and the staff helpful and pleasant. the back bay location is ideal, the lovely neighbourhood safe, the proximity to the T ideal. there are a number of unsatisfactory reviews about this guest house; we arrived hoping they were not the norm or from fussier guests than us - we found nothing like the negative reviews in our stay. we would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
Germantown, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

If you understand the difference between a Hotel and a Guest House you will not be surprised. We stayed in Room 1. Awesome room. Very small bathroom tucked into the corner. I am not sure how a "bigger" person would be able to use the toilet the way it was squeezed in between the sink and shower.

Don't expect lots of free shampoos, soaps and such. Bring your own. Morning coffee wasn't ready until after 8:30AM. No daily maid service either. The rooms on the higher floors are tiny and hot in the Summer. They have window air conditioners but they are loud. So your choice is noise or heat.

On the plus side, the rooms are cheap for Boston and you are very close to lots of stuff. A short walk takes you to small corner grocery store where you can buy shampoo. Coffee shops are nearby too. Lots of restaurants and stores a couple of streets down.

During our stay all of the rooms were taken so it is a fairly popular place.

As a guest house I would give this a 4 or 5. As a hotel a 1 or 2. Overall a 3.

Room Tip: Room 1 (on the ground floor) is the best room in the place.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

I needed a place to stay last minute for a weekend of baseball, shopping, and fun. Boston is notorious for high priced rooms, however 463 Beacon St Guest House was extremely affordable at $119 a night including taxes. Located a few blocks from Newberry st & a 15 minute walk to Fenway made this the ideal location. Note this isn't the Merriot, but more like a college apartment. If you want an affordable getaway in a true brownstone with stain glass windows and charm, then this is the place.

• Stayed August 2012
Livonia, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed at this guest house knowing it wouldn't be one of the finest lodgings on our trip but we were trying to stay in the city for an affordable price. If that is your only goal and you are the type who can handle staying in hostel-like conditions (except you at least have a private room and bath) then I do recommend this place for the location alone. It is within walking distances of the freedom trail in one direction and fenway park in the other. You can easily walk to the subway station and get anywhere from there only a few blocks away. There was a fridge and microwave in our room so we could save money by stocking snacks and food which was nice and the view was nice from the front window. We had room 31 which you had to go up 4 flights of stairs to reach. The room we had was spacious, but as many of the other reviews stated, it did not seem the cleanest. The bathroom was usable, though, I didn't use anything before wiping it down with Clorox wipes. I am fine with anything as long as it is clean and the one thing I could not tolerate was the bed. It was a king size (but really 2 twins pushed together so you would fall in the crack in the middle) but the blankets looked absolutely disgusting! Both the comforter, and underblanket had a variety of old stains on them so my husband and I went to target and bought a brand new sheet set and blanket. Once we put the new stuff on the bed the room was tolerable. I do not recommend this place with flying colors, if you can afford a nicer place go for it, but if you really want to be in the city for a cheaper price you would probably be okay picking this place.

Portland, OR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The location of this hotel is excellent. The price really great for central Boston. The help at the desk was good, and the other guests, although young, were quiet and looked like nice students. Our room at first glance was great, but the bathroom and bedding were awful. The sheets and blanket were old and not real clean, and the pillows ancient. The shower curtain, bathroom floor and around the toilet were pretty disgusting.

Lodi, New Jersey, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This place is absolutely terrible! The bathroom and shower are exremely small. The first room we were given was so small and dirty (I found hairs on the toilet seat) I asked if they had any other rooms with a bigger bathroom. We were taken to another room with a bathroom slightly larger but still with a small shower and still very dirty as I found hairs again on the toilet! I had to go and buy lysol cleaning wipes to clean the bathroom before I used it thats how bad it was and I shouldn't have to be cleaning like that on vacation! The hallways smelled and so did the room. Very old and filthy. We booked it for 2 nights the 1st night we slept there I couldn't sleep because I was feeling so itchy in the filthy sheets. I woke up in the morning and my husband and I were itchy all over and seemed to have some type of rash. We did not stay the 2nd night and forfeitted the money. I would not stay there again if you paid me this place is so dirty they have nerve to charge their rates.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to 463 Beacon Street Guest House? Share your experiences!