“Ideal location, highly affordable.” 4 of 5 stars

You added 463 Beacon Street Guest House to your Saves list
463 Beacon Street Guest House
463 Beacon Street, Boston, MA 02115 (Back Bay)   |
Ranked #32 of 45 Boston B&B and Inns
“Ideal location, highly affordable.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

I needed a place to stay last minute for a weekend of baseball, shopping, and fun. Boston is notorious for high priced rooms, however 463 Beacon St Guest House was extremely affordable at $119 a night including taxes. Located a few blocks from Newberry st & a 15 minute walk to Fenway made this the ideal location. Note this isn't the Merriot, but more like a college apartment. If you want an affordable getaway in a true brownstone with stain glass windows and charm, then this is the place.

• Stayed August 2012

169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Livonia, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed at this guest house knowing it wouldn't be one of the finest lodgings on our trip but we were trying to stay in the city for an affordable price. If that is your only goal and you are the type who can handle staying in hostel-like conditions (except you at least have a private room and bath) then I do recommend this place for the location alone. It is within walking distances of the freedom trail in one direction and fenway park in the other. You can easily walk to the subway station and get anywhere from there only a few blocks away. There was a fridge and microwave in our room so we could save money by stocking snacks and food which was nice and the view was nice from the front window. We had room 31 which you had to go up 4 flights of stairs to reach. The room we had was spacious, but as many of the other reviews stated, it did not seem the cleanest. The bathroom was usable, though, I didn't use anything before wiping it down with Clorox wipes. I am fine with anything as long as it is clean and the one thing I could not tolerate was the bed. It was a king size (but really 2 twins pushed together so you would fall in the crack in the middle) but the blankets looked absolutely disgusting! Both the comforter, and underblanket had a variety of old stains on them so my husband and I went to target and bought a brand new sheet set and blanket. Once we put the new stuff on the bed the room was tolerable. I do not recommend this place with flying colors, if you can afford a nicer place go for it, but if you really want to be in the city for a cheaper price you would probably be okay picking this place.

Portland, OR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The location of this hotel is excellent. The price really great for central Boston. The help at the desk was good, and the other guests, although young, were quiet and looked like nice students. Our room at first glance was great, but the bathroom and bedding were awful. The sheets and blanket were old and not real clean, and the pillows ancient. The shower curtain, bathroom floor and around the toilet were pretty disgusting.

Lodi, New Jersey, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This place is absolutely terrible! The bathroom and shower are exremely small. The first room we were given was so small and dirty (I found hairs on the toilet seat) I asked if they had any other rooms with a bigger bathroom. We were taken to another room with a bathroom slightly larger but still with a small shower and still very dirty as I found hairs again on the toilet! I had to go and buy lysol cleaning wipes to clean the bathroom before I used it thats how bad it was and I shouldn't have to be cleaning like that on vacation! The hallways smelled and so did the room. Very old and filthy. We booked it for 2 nights the 1st night we slept there I couldn't sleep because I was feeling so itchy in the filthy sheets. I woke up in the morning and my husband and I were itchy all over and seemed to have some type of rash. We did not stay the 2nd night and forfeitted the money. I would not stay there again if you paid me this place is so dirty they have nerve to charge their rates.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I knew this place wasn't going to be posh, but other reviewers had stressed the value for the location. One or two reviews indicated it was dirty, but it's always hard to gauge how picky a reviewer is, but I thought it could be that bad. It was and more. Based on the wet used soaps in the shower, the dry used soaps in the medicine cabinet, the hair on the shower walls, the shaving stubble in the clogged bathroom sink, the hair under the pillows on the bed and different hair on the sheets on the other side of the bed, I could only assume that my room wasn't actually cleaned between visitors. There were clean towels, but there was no way the rest of the bathroom was cleaned and the sheets definitely weren't fresh. Additionally, the climate control of the room I was in was located in the office which is closed overnight resulting in one sweltering night and one cold night. Thankfully I brought some flip flops so I didn't ever have to go barefoot (even in the shower) except for when actually in bed. And when in bed, I could hear every word of the neighboring room's conversation which was clearly taking place at a normal conversational level. There is a reason for their non-refundable reservation policy. All in all, probably the worst place I've ever stayed (and I've stayed some sketchy places in Europe). Do yourself a favor and spend a tiny bit more to stay somewhere else. While it is cheap, you could spend $20 more a night and not end up creeped out.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
upstate new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Normally I like to stay in traditional hotels with "luxeries" like clean bathrooms, comfortable beds and spacious showers. I decided for our boston vacation we would do something a little different. We really wanted to have an authentic expereince. So a on brownstone on Beacon street walking distance from Newbury St, and the Boston commons seemed like the perfect idea. The location was perfect we were able to walk every where the two days we were in boston and had an amazing time. Other then the location the guest house was not so perfect. The bed was very uncomfortable, the bathroom and shower we tiny and it wasnt as clean as it could be. With a good spring cleaning and a few updates this could be truly amazing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This guest house has a great location and the price is good, but it's not very clean. My family went up for a weekend trip to Boston and we had 5 rooms at the guest house. Each of the 5 rooms were not very clean. The decor is out-dated, about which I didn't care. I really only wanted a comfortable bed and a clean room. Unfortunately, neither of these were the case. Our bed was extremely uncomfortable and sloped down in the middle. The pillows were almost nothing; they were so old. The dust and hair on the baseboards has been building up for years. There was a beautiful old wardrobe/closet in our bathroom (room #21); however, it has not been taken care of. Because it was located directly behind the sink and mirror, it was filled with hair and hairspray, etc. There were lots of bugs, dead and alive, throughout our room, especially around the window A/C unit. All of these issues can easily be resolved with proper cleaning between guests and a new bed and pillows.

All the bathrooms at the guest house are very small and the showers are tight. If you're tall or larger, you may have trouble navigating the bathrooms.

Because this place is such a good value for the location, I will probably stay there again, but I'll bring along my own cleaning supplies and clean the room as soon as we arrive.

Room Tip: Don't select room 21; the bed is extremely uncomfortable.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to 463 Beacon Street Guest House? Share your experiences!