“Our favorite place to stay in Boston” 5 of 5 stars

463 Beacon Street Guest House
463 Beacon Street, Boston, MA 02115 (Back Bay)   |
Ranked #35 of 44 Boston B&B and Inns
Pacific Grove, California
“Our favorite place to stay in Boston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

My wife and I have stayed at 463 Beacon many times over the past 15 years. It's a great place with friendly service, good value, clean rooms and an excellent location in Boston's Back Bay. We come to Boston once or twice a year, and 463 Beacon is always our first choice!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

When we called we were convinced by the gentleman on the phone that the 5th floor room was so nice because it had a deck to overlook the bay. The bay was hardly visible and the walk up the stairs was not worth it. The other rooms were much nicer and though we had our own bathroom, the accomodations were small. We requested clean towels and didn't get them. I guess you get what you pay for. It didn't ruin our trip, but it wasn't a feature either.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Compared to other B&B in the back bay , this is low budget. The shampoos and pad by the phone, stolen from a ramada for they were stamped ramada, tell it all. If they think Ramada is par to c ompare, it does compare to a $59 hotel. You step in the lobby and there is a low budget coffee maker (guess what you are getting) that I haven't seen since my Navy days. A college kid with an attidtude at the reception is the coupe de ta. Now let us not forget our room. The decor is from the 60's. The bedding and couch match. It is amazing after 40 years that they are still there. It scares me. The TV is from the 80's and the wireless didn't work.. Location is nice but I wouldn't pay more then a $100 with tax on a Sat night when the Sox are in town.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
bsg463, General Manager at 463 Beacon Street Guest House, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
We are sorry that this guest had issues with his recent stay. Yes, we are "low budget', we are considerably lower priced than any other facility in Boston' s Back Bay. We offer lodging in a turn of the century brownstone mansion which is far more residential in character.
All our units have the convenience of a kitchenette. The "shampoo" was liquid soap detergent on the counter next to the sink, where one would expect it to be. The note pads were not "stolen" but purchased from a liquidated Ramada hotel, and used somewhat "tongue in cheek".
Yes, the bedding and the couch do coordinate, but that is by design; I believe this guest was in room 1, and I welcome readers to check out our website, [--], where they will find an actual picture of the room.
We do provide complimentary coffee in our lobby and us use a very recent, high quality, commercial "Bunn" coffee maker to brew it, and then transfer it to stainless steel air pots to keep the coffee hot.
Our front desk staff does include college students whose records are spotless. I would certainly have welcomed, ( and still would), the opportunity to discuss any interaction that was deemed inappropriate.
We have had a successful business for 23 years, but understand that no matter what we do we can't please everyone.
newport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

Got to make everyone aware of a real gem in boston's back bay- the "463 Beacon ". My husband and I have stayed there on numerous occasions, in different rooms and the accomadations are always comfortable , clean and nicely appointed. Manager Dave and his friendly and helpful staff are always attentive but never intrusive, in fact, during our most recent stay, Dave went over and above to ensure our comfort. Shopping , attractions and restaraunts are all within a few blocks and the "T" is close by , too. We always stay at the 463 Beacon for it's great location but especially for the great staff.

Room Tip: elegant 1st floor and great 5th floor deck views
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
brooklyn, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

First off, your mileage with 463 Beacon rests mostly on the sort of traveler you are. I think you'll either like it or hate it. I'm firmly with the former. Its essentially a bed and breakfast, without the breakfast or the host/hostess. If you like B&Bs, nothing here will be surprising.

Its a tall Victorian brownstone located in gorgeous Back Bay. There are no signs to declare it any different from the rows of houses on the same, serene, tree-lined street. Its a lovely feeling to walk out, as though departing from your home, imagining you lived here.

After getting buzzed in, the first floor has a small communal area with a bench, coffee and tea station, and information about Boston to take. We checked in at the tiny, adjacent office, which keeps limited hours. Friendly, easy-going staff, and we were able to leave our luggage there at start and end of the trip.

I booked, with just a a twinge of trepidation, a room at the uppermost level, a fifth floor walk-up. I banked on the walk to justify all the eating planned, and it really wasn't bad at all. A bit of old detailing was kept in the building, so we had much to admire going up the winding stairwell, including the long chandelier hanging down the center from a stained glass fixture.

Every room here is different. We peered into a few on some mornings, where guests apparently just checked-out, and found most to have their own attractions. Our room, #51, was one of a few with two beds. Basic features: private bathroom, kitchenette (sink, microwave, fridge), dining table, armchairs, desk, spiral stairs leading to the loft area with one full bed and one twin, and a tv mounted high on the wall, viewable from both levels. There's free wi-fi that didn't work for me, but I felt no need for it so I didn't bother asking the office staff to trouble-shoot. Nothing plush here, but the beds were comfortable enough. Metal key entry, the old-fashioned way.

PLUS (room #51)
- high-ceiling loft set-up
- atmosphere
- spacious
- cool, old metal spiral stairs

MINUS (room #51)
- truly tiny bathroom, I kept hitting myself as I showered and I'm small!
- everything a bit worn overall
- limited windows

Great location in beautiful Back Bay and convenient, within a 10-minute walk to commercial Newbury and Boylston Sts, the Hynes Convention Center, and the T metro stop on Mass Ave, which allows fairly quick access to other areas in Downtown Boston. But even on foot, Boston Common is just a pleasant 20 minute walk away.

I emphasize that the minuses here don't bother me. I considered it part of the experience, and quite enjoyed it, but others may feel a refurbishing is required to pay to stay. Sure, I don't disagree, but a thorough refurbishing will also mean they can (and should) charge a fortune. As it is now, 463 Beacon St is a great deal in a great location, a good alternative to a boutique experience at more than twice the price.

Room Tip: Snapshots of some rooms at website, all unique
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

The location of 463 Beacon is perfect. The room was nice, but a bit dirty. Really could use a good cleaning. The room rates are nice, but keep in mind that you do get what you pay for. Charming building, just needs a good cleaning. Staff was helpful and we appreciated the free internet connection. They also do offer parking for a fee.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

I stayed here for the month of March and it was a great place to hang my hat. I had a comfortable, quiet room and a nice bed to sleep in at the end of a long day. Staff were very helpful and always smiling. This is in a great location-you can walk everywhere! I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: No elevator-stay in a room on the lower floors
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Been to 463 Beacon Street Guest House? Share your experiences!