Our stay at Copley House was disappointing. The staff were really nice and eager to please. The hotel is a great idea and certainly has potential to be a great place. However, our visit was pretty lame in quality for the $500 + price.
1. We had requested a cot for an extra person for 2 out of 4 nights when making the reservation. It took 2 phone calls to finally get an inflatable mattress to our room; it had a severe leak and would not stay inflated. We asked for a replacement and were told there were none without apology. We had to make do.
2. We were placed in a 4th floor apt. Be sure if you stay here to arrive between 9A and 9P. They have no services after 9P except for emergencies. Our plane did not arrive until after 11P and we had to carry our luggage up 3 long stairwells to reach the room. We are over 50 and let me assure you that one must be in shape and prepared for serious exercise to pull bags to these upper level rooms. The website makes no mention of the lack of elevators nor do they ask potential customers if they require a room on a lower floor.
3. Our reservation was for 4 adults - the room is more suited to 2 and is really set up that way. For example, there are only 2 chairs at the dining table and the 2nd bed is a convertible couch. The bed fills the only bedroom making it impossible to negotiate around it and my wife and I had crippled backs because of the hardness of the mattress.
4. There are really no usual hotel amenities whatsoever...this hotel is more like a european hostel where the guest brings all of their needs and expects none from the proprietor. Kitchenette has minimal cutlery, pans and utensils. There is no oven except for a tiny toaster oven so any baked meals are out.
5. Heating is controlled by the proprietor for all rooms - our room was stifling the entire 4 day stay and required open windows, especially at night. We did ask the front office to try and reduce the heat but we experienced no changes in the room temperature.
6. On the positive side, the buildings are beautiful old brownstones in a lovely refurbished neighborhood. On Columbus Avenue around the corner is a neighborhood market - the owner is a gentleman named Al and he was the most delightful and accommodating person. He knew we were visiting Boston and was extremely helpful to us. Down the street a block is Charlie's Sandwich Shoppe...this is an old-fashioned city diner with the best food and lots of it. It is family-owned and the lead chef was one of the owners. We did not get his name but he was a really nice guy and a great chef; very knowledgable about the area and gave us quite a history lesson on his business and the neighborhood.
You will read wonderful testimonies on the Copley House website and I'm sure some of the rooms are large, spacious and accommodating. However, we were not lucky enough to experience this better service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Copley House is your home away from home in Boston, MA. We offer affordable lodging in fully furnished apartments at daily and weekly rates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, EasyToBook and Odigeo so you can book your Copley House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Copley House Hotel Boston
- Copley Hotel Boston