“The Best Stay in Boston EVER” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Battery Wharf Hotel & Spa

You added The Battery Wharf Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
The Battery Wharf Hotel & Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Battery Wharf, Boston, MA 02109 (Formerly Fairmont Battery Wharf)   |
Ranked #23 of 77 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
“The Best Stay in Boston EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

I have just returned from running the Boston Marathon. Most of my friends stayed downtown near Copley which I have done in the past until I discovered this hotel last year simply by just walking by. The staff at the Fairmont Battery Wharf in every department are so amazing - no task or request is too great and is done with such willingness. The rooms are large and spotless and so modern, The linens on the bed are to die for. Makes sleeping a real luxury. Closet space - you could bring your wardrobe from home and fit it all in. I had just a regular room. When you check in they make sure all your requirements are met. They had on Sunday and Monday a Grab and Go breakfast for runners starting at 5:30am - it was top notch and as a runner you could not have asked for more nutritional food - if you were in a hurry they had bags and cutlery so you could eat on the run so to speak. The dining room unfortunately I was only able to eat a sit down breakfast days prior to the race but from what I hear I really missed out on the dinner menu. Next year for sure- I have already made my reservation for next April. If you are attending a Celtics or Bruins game you can walk - 10 minutes away. If you need the underground there are two stops I prefer the wharf walk cause you pass a Starbucks and you get to walk along the water the whole time. Very close to all those great Italian restaurants in the North End - and very close to Quincy Market - I must mention that while during my stay I became extremely sick with Sinusitus and needed a Doctor. I phoned the reception at 1AM on Sunday and was given the best treatment by the staff- by 7:30AM I was all fixed up with a Dr and given a prescription at CVS on Bolyston Street which I picked up that morning. Without the help and knowledge of the staff at the Fairmont Battery Wharf as who to turn to I may have had to withdraw from the Marathon - I am so very grateful for their assistance and it is very comforting to know that they have their guests best interests truly at heart. Thank You so much. There is no better place to stay in Boston in my opinion. I also had a great race.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Portland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

I found the location awful. For anyone doing business in Boston, you need to be in downtown or the Copley area. This hotel is well out of the way. 1/2 condominiums and 1/2 hotel, it's very quiet with but one unremarkable restaurant and nothing around it other than Little Italy and the historic trail. By the way, Little Italy is basically 4 blocks of Hanover Street with lots of little restaurants and that's it. Nothing more and nothing less. If you want to see it or experience it, get a dinner reservation and go there for dinner some evening.
The price point of the Fairmont is the highest in the area per room. The rooms are also all very different and the toiletries from one room to another come in different sizes. I had booked a Signature Gold room but they tried to pass off another room with a queen size bed on me. NOT GOOD. If you're paying inordinately high rates, then you should have the room you book. When I brought it up with the desk they moved me immediately to a room that had smaller toiletries. Then the desk gal tried to tell me they were all the same. NOT. I took a bottle of shampoo from the first room so I know exactly what the toiletries look like. For people in the Presidents Club, this scores you a check-in, but I felt like I really should have spent a little more per night and been in a good location like the Copley property. Otherwise, I would stay at a different brand.
The cabs in Boston are expensive, more than NYC and you'll be taking a cab EVERYWHERE. Faneuil Marketplace and the New England Aquarium are the closest tourist attractions (across the street from one another) and they are easily a 20 minute walk. So families with kids on vacation, BEWARE. If you make the mistake of getting a rental car, it's a mere $42/day parking unless you want to park in a self pay lot down the street a few blocks where the rates will be less.
The gym is excellent and few people use it. The staff is great and the overall amenities of the Fairmont group as always are good, but for me this hotel is a pass in the future. The location just sucks. I gave it a try but I won't return to this location.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
FairmontBWBManager, Housekeeping Manager at The Battery Wharf Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 27, 2010
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. In addition to consistently building upon any constructive criticism we are also very pleased to receive feedback that reflects a stay as positive as yours.
I couldn't help but notice the comment regarding the price of our high speed internet access and I felt it my duty to provide a bit of information regarding our frequent stay program, the Fairmont President's Club. While the Fairmont President's Club provides a variety of benefits one of the most popular would have to be complimentary high speed internet access and local phone calls at Fairmont Hotels and Resorts worldwide.
For more information including a full listing of available benefits or to join please visit the Fairmont President's Club portion of our website or stop by the front desk during any future stays with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010 via mobile

Very new,very clean,great service,very comfortable. Even though we got a great deal on priceline,they gave us a free room upgrade. This hotel is also in a great location, in Boston's north end. Parking is valet only and costs $42. There is almost no overnight parking in the north end for non residents, so be prepared to leave the car with the valet. My only complaint would be the $16.95 charge for Internet access.

• Stayed April 2010
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

We were so pleasantly surprised by our stay here! It was our first time to Boston as a family, so we weren't sure where to stay. The location was perfect - we could walk to the arena for the Celtics game, walk to all the great restaurants and pastry shops in the North End, walk the Freedom Trail. The service was one of the best we've had, it's right up there. Debbie at the Front Desk and Chris (doing just about every job imaginable) were standouts. They couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating to our every need. This is great location if you're coming to Boston. We upgraded to the suite on the first floor, it was just amazing.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

We arrived very early off a shuttle from LGA so knew we'd have a wait for a room! The cab pulled up to the property's 'main' building..I assumed..since I later found out that there are a number of 'buildings' that make up this Hotel! Checked in small roller luggage and took off..returning a bit past noontime to find out that our room was in the 'other' building from where we left our overnighter...we were led to the other building and told it would be about another hour which was not a problem since we didn't have lunch..with Emily at the helm, felt assured at this point! Gracious and empathetic at our early morning arrival, she led us into a beautiful living/lounge area in the dedicated 'Gold' building..old world charm w/all the modern conveniences..as was our room!
There is a Happy Hour of sorts that includes more fare than a full course meal..which we totally utilized (they had a fish soup w/saffron that particular night that was out of this world)..needless to say, one can feast here and look no futher! Honor system with only alcohol being charged at reasonable rates! There is an additional 'dessert' hour later on around 9p which I made a point to avoid;-))
Kudos to the staff here..between Emily and Dennis, can't imagine any request hard-pressed to be met! When I booked on--line, had no idea of all the varios 'buildings', so was grateful to be staying in the Gold;-) Hands down top-notch service that certainly left some weary travellers happy campers at the end of the day..personal thanks to both for their exceptional service! They make it worth a return visit;-) Had a wonderful stay and totally enjoyed!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

Seeing as we were not a Hotelier's ideal customers, (8 guys in a Bachelor party) I was skeptical of how we were going to be treated, especially being a frequent visitor to the Fairmont Chain. Instead of getting the cold shoulder, as I have in other Fairmont hotels in the past; the staff at the Battery Wharf were nothing short of spectacular!
For starters, the personal tour of the room and amenities along with the knowledge of the local food and Bar scene was great. This is standard... What they did that was exceptional is
- set us up a personal place in the lobby to have drinks after the bar so that we didnt disrupt any of our neighbors.
- Call a Pub when one of the boys left his wallet at the bar
- Ordered and picked up pizza at a local joint at 2 am
- bought us a round of drinks

I should mention, this is not a "party hotel" like my review would sound, but they understood our groups special needs for this weekend, and they did an amazing job catoring to them. Thank you!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

The pros:
- The staff is delightful
- The hotel is in a new building, a part of which are condos
- The bed is comfy
- The room is spacy
- The hotel is walking distance to Quency Market and the Italian Restaurant area

The cons:
There are no cons to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Battery Wharf Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!