“Comfortable but needs an update” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #17 of 77 hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Comfortable but needs an update”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights, in a Fairmont Gold One Bedroom Suite. The room was very spacious but dated and a little scruffy in places. It needs modernisation. Bathroom was excellent however. It had a separate lounge, dining and work area, 1 and a half bathrooms, bedroom.
The bed needs a new mattress, as it sloped down on one side, so it wasn't very comfortable, it was little things like, marks on the carpet, chips all over the coffee table etc. It wasn't quite what we expected of a Gold suite to be honest. We had issues with luke-warm water for the first day/evening, and couldn't use the bath, and at over $500 per night, this was annoying. It did get sorted for our second day.
The Executive Lounge was really nice, with complimentary soft drinks and tea & coffee throughout the day and light snacks in the evening.
Staff were pleasant throughout. Nice location ( 5 min walk to Quincy Market area), nice hotel but rooms are a little dated and in need of a facelift.

Room Tip: Choose a Gold Room to get the Executive Lounge Benefits and free Wi-fi.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer Z, Area Manager, Internet Marketing at Fairmont Battery Wharf, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hello, and thank you for sharing your feedback with us in this forum. While I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall, I'm disappointed to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your suite. I've shared your post with our Director of Rooms in order to facilitate appropriate internal follow-up regarding your comments. Thank you, again, for your feedback.

752 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Dalton, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I love staying at Fairmont properties. Typically, both the buildings and the staff members are first rate. The Fairmont Battery Wharf in Boston must be the exception that proves the rule. What a truly disappointing stay? First, even at a discounted online rate, I was still paying more than $600 per night as all the hotels in the region are gouging due to the season. First issue: bad room descriptions. The room I booked was a harbor view with separate shower and tub. No tub in the room. VERY small room. And the room was set up so that no chairs could be placed to enjoy the harbor view since the room was at a 90 degree angle to the harbor. OK. Fine. Just typically hotel hyperbole. Reception: HORRIBLE. We arrived at 4:00 p.m. The hotel's check in time is after 3:00 p.m., so I wasn't looking for early entry to the room. The first person we approached at the desk just walked away. No smile. No brief comment about her reason for leaving. Just left us standing there. Ryan, the man who tried to help, was unable to find the reservation at first, then couldn't confirm the room was ready, so he asked us to wait in the tiny little lobby. (Evidently others were going through this, too, as it became crowded quickly.) He said that the wait would be about 10 minutes, and then he too disappeared with no explanation. After 15 minutes--and with a spa appointment at the hotel in another 15 minutes, we asked Josh, the only person at the desk, what the problem was. Suddenly, our room had been ready all along. To his credit, he offered us a spa discount and then walked us to building #4, where our room was. NOTE: This is a big deal. The hotel is in multiple buildings. I assume this is due to height restrictions on the wharf. If not, it's a TERRIBLE idea. Our building had no public space on the entry floor and entry was through a cramped, curved aisle. We only saw two guests. It was like staying in a ghost town. No one at reception gave us any information about the property. There's no concierge in the main lobby. We only learned at the last day that you have to stay in the "Gold" building to have the concierge. From there...downhill: The next morning, housekeeping awoke us by entering while we were still asleep because evidently the "do not disturb" light didn't show up outside. (She was polite and apologetic. Honest mistake.) Never received the extra pillows we called the front desk to ask for. Valet took over 30 minutes to fetch the car every time. (Parking is $45/night, but that's pretty much the standard in the area.) Rainy day at a five-star property, use the complimentary umbrellas in teh room, right? Nope. Had to walk across the property in the downpour because the front desk advised that the umbrellas were available for pick up there. Does this property even understand guest needs or making service count? PLUSES: Housekeeping was solid. Linens and bed were luxurious. The concept of a closet that opens from both the hall and the bathroom is smart. (If two people have separate schedules, this would really allow one party to sleep in without interruption while the other goes to a business meeting or takes care of an errand.) Furnishings were in generally good shape. On-site spa is good (allegedgly voted best in Boston, but who knows how those votes work) and the staff there is friendly. The rooms have Nespresso machines. MINUSES: Front desk taff that is either incompetent or uncaring, which suggests poor leadership at the management level. Bad layout on the property with a generic look and feel to the rooms and common spaces. Folio didn't break down charges. Impossble to tell what was room, what was parking, etc. Very low value. NEUTRAL: Location is ok depending on what you're there for. I generally prefer the Back Bay area, but it was tough to find a hotel in Boston this weekend. CONCLUSION: If my only option for future visits to Boston were to stay at this hotel, I'd never visit the city again. It's not a five-star property, regardless of the designation. The whole place as the feel of a Holiday Inn Express on steriods, but one is certainly playing for more than that.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the building with the lobby or pay more for a room in the "Gold" buildin...
Green Features: The only environmentally friendly practice I saw was to ask guests to reuse towels and linens, which we all know is a cost-savings effort on the part of hotels. I didn't even see the usual recycling bin for paper/plastics that most Fairmonts have in the rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig R, General Manager at Fairmont Battery Wharf, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Hello, and thank you for your post. I’m very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your recent stay, and I’d like to take this opportunity to personally address your feedback. I’ve shared your comments regarding room descriptions with our Internet Marketing Manager, who will conduct a thorough review of our website’s descriptions to prevent future miscommunication. I have also shared your post with our Front Office Manager, as the service you describe is simply unacceptable – We can, and will, do better. Finally, I’d like to point out that while we do not have a designated “Concierge” desk in the main lobby, all of our Guest Service Agents are trained to assist guests in such a manner. I do apologize if this was not communicated appropriately during your stay. Thank you, again, for your feedback. I hope you will consider giving us another chance on your next trip to Boston.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

not sure what i expected, President's Club would seem to rate higher than the ground floor near the front desk but guess not, restaurant manager Dan Stewart the same star he was in DC and generally the bars seem better than the hotel, which seemed plain with no concierge. The hotel did offer and give free passes to the adjoining spa but as a coed sauna, didn't hold much attraction for me. I'd stay there again but be careful with desk clerks, seem to not know what they are doing, they seemed to swipe wrong card and then complain it didn't go through.

Room Tip: not sure i'd go for President's Club, whole hotel low rise so not much chance of a view but...
Green Features: didn't seem to have much in the way of amenities, standard Fairmont, pretty plain.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Jennifer Z, Area Manager, Internet Marketing at Fairmont Battery Wharf, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Hello and thank you for your post. While I’m pleased to see such a great score, I’m sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your experience. In particular, I’d like to apologize for any difficulty or miscommunication you experienced at the Front Desk. I’ve shared your post with our Front Office Manager, as I think your comments could represent a valuable training opportunity for our colleagues. In addition, thank you for the kind words about Dan – I look forward to sharing your praise with him, as well! Thank you, again, for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Salem, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

What a GREAT place to stay. We were here for 3 nights/4 days. This was a meeting my husband had to attend, however all families were invited and we attended the dinners in the evening. In our building we had access to the concierge floor, this was a huge bonus as the kids enjoyed having their breakfast and snacks and being able to come and go. The property was beautiful and clean and the staff was amazing! Great place to enjoy morning runs along the water. The location was fantastic as we were able to walk everywhere.

Our stay was July 2011. I was not able to select so I wanted to make sure it was stated.

Room Tip: High floor with access to the concierge lounge.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Trussville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

We did not have reservations and didn't realize how difficult it would be to get them. We felt very fortunate to find Fairmont and at a reasonable price. Just a short walk to the Old North Church. There is a $45 parking charge per day but parking is so scarce on this part of town I can understand why. Rooms are nice and staff ate helpful and friendly.

• Stayed September 2013
Grimsby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed here for our honeymoon. What makes this place even more special is the fact that it hides along the waterfront in a peaceful location. We stayed in Building 5 which is for the Gold members. All the employees were very accommodating and always friendly. The hotel is a short walk to all of the North end sites and a small cab fare to downtown shopping. Gold members enjoy a free breakfast which was more than enough and from 5-7PM cheese an such with wine available to purchase.
Would highly recommend the Fairmont Battery Wharf to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights for a conference. Very clean, nice view of the Harbor and literally steps from the North End. We had several meals there, breakfast was excellent. My only complaint was that we were on the second floor of the third building right above the valet station and we could hear them and the people arriving and leaving a little too well. We did not use room service or valet service because we didn't have a car, so I can't comment on those things. Check in was smooth, no problems. You do have to swipe your key in the elevator to make it move, which while I understand the security feature, was a little inconvenient at times-think shopping bags!

Room Tip: Higher floors on the 3rd building might be a little quieter than what we experienced.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Fairmont Battery Wharf? Share your experiences!