“Fascinating Clarendon Square” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 46 Boston B&B and Inns
Bergen, Norway
“Fascinating Clarendon Square”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Thanks to Stephen, Maya, Bobby and Winny for making our stay at Clarendon Square memorable. The unique atmosphere the beautifully decorated rooms and the nice and quiet location make us want to return. Did we mention the roof terrasse? And the hot tub? Have a glass of wine and enjoy the Boston skyline by night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Cicero, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband and I's first trip here was in December of 2011 right after our wedding for our honeymoon. We stayed in the luxury suite then. It by far exceeded our expectations! The room was beautiful, the staff beyond welcoming and helpful! We have since been back 2-3 times. Each and every trip has been wonderful. Although we have never stayed anywhere else in Boston, I think my husband and I would agree that we wouldn't want to stay anywhere else! Getting to know the staff, and their welcoming attitudes has made the B&B so much more enjoyable!

Five stars for sure!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
clarendonsquare, Owner at Clarendon Square Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Allison1231 - Thank you for Choosing Clarendon Square for an occasion as special as your honeymoon! We are thrilled to see you come back to us and to know that we still create fond memories for you and your husband. It is so lovely to catch up with previous guests and continue to bring smiles to their faces! Our luxury suite is certainly an amazing room and we wish everyone could enjoy it! I am sure I can say "see you next year".
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was a great find. It exceeded my expectations, and made a visit to Boston even better. The place is gorgeous first of all. It feels like the home of some rich guy, which it is/was. Our room was really lush and comfortable. The breakfast is continental, but to European standards, not American....meaning not just a muffin and cereal. All the bake goods are delicious. The staff was very nice, helpful, and interesting. I'd love to go back some day.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed in the Clarendon for five or six times between April and May 2013 for business (one time also with my wife), always for numerous nights (ca. 3-7 nights each) as I prefer smaller and more personal settings over big chain hotels, if possible. Room rates between ca. 200 and 400 USD per night. I would have rated in normally a 4-star ranking, but the last experiencemade me not come any more, as I find such behaviour unacceptable (but maybe others do). Here are my take-aways:

Positive: Nice breakfast, great Capuccino, nicely decorated rooms, great location in the South End.

Room for improvement:

a. Breakfast only starts round 8 am, typically not suitable for business stays.
b. Noise in the rooms (I stayed in a deluxe queen on all floors): There only is central air/heating, i.e. it never gets your individual preference. The closer you get to the top, the more you also here the air condition power units and the hot tub power unit. Over the multiple stays I found this increasingly annoying and disturbing.
d. Rather impersonal management. Stephen and his husband are hardly on site (also not on the weekends for breakfast or similar), when they are it is rather superficial talk than real interest in the guests. For example, Stephen's husband never got back to me in the context of my real estate search although he works in the industry and promised to get back.
c. Attitude of the owner(s): Traveling so much and being very busy, I wasn't sure if I had booked a room at the Clarendon (and I did not have any email or similar). One night before I needed a room, I called Stephen, one of the owners, told him my name (he has heard me and spoken to me already numerous times) and asked if he had a room available. He denied and said he was fully booked. So I booked a room for four nights in the W. The next evening Stephen called me and asked were I were. It turned out that I apparently had booked a room which was the reason he was fully booked - and now he requested me to come, in any case pay for the whole stay of four nights. Given how it came to this situation I found his behaviour and tone more than inadequate. Even more so, having been a repeat guest. In the end, I stayed three nights at Clarendon (and 1 at the W) as it was much easier to make arrangements with the W than with Stephen in an acceptable time frame. Stephen's view on this was that it was generous of him to let me skip one night - a view I do not share. It has left a more than strange impression with me.

As long as above three points, especially number 2 and 3, are not improved, I will neither stay in the Clarendon nor recommend it to anyone any more.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
clarendonsquare, Owner at Clarendon Square Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your many stays with us. Your choosing us as your go to hotel with six stays in less than one year, is certainly the best complement we can receive and surely a vote of confidence. We are glad that you enjoyed your experience to come back to us time and time again.

Sadly our business relationship met a bump in the road that it appears we could not overcome. Your call asking if a room was available was after business hours and we checked our online calendar, the same as you would have done had you not reached us, and saw that no rooms were available. In the context of an after hours call, we could not ascertain if you needed a room for yourself, or perhaps for another. Honestly, we do feel bad that you forgot you had made a reservation 10 days prior and had misplaced your reservation confirmation. As a fail safe, we automatically send a welcome e-mail reminder of your reservation three days before arrival. It was my pleasure to waive the first nights charges after you had mistakenly booked and checked into another hotel. We were flexible allowing you to use your reservation at CS and not loose any money at the same time. We are sorry that our efforts were not met with appreciation.

We are more than happy to adjust facilities to meet the needs of our guests.
For many years we began breakfast at 7:30 am, but found no matter what time, there will occasionally be the need for "just a wee bit earlier" requests. Most of our guests enjoy a later breakfast and since Starbucks is one block away and opens a 5:30 am, we feel confident that anyone who has an early schedule will find exactly what they need on their way to meetings.

Thank you for your feedback on the air conditioning, this spring we did replace and relocate an AC compressor on the roof with a quiet and energy efficient one. This has been a welcome addition and improvement to the guest experience.

We are all blessed with the opportunity to travel as we do. Surely a major component to our success at Clarendon Square is our understanding the needs of the traveler first hand. All of our staff are well traveled and this is a requirement of working at CS. We garner many design and customer service inspirations from our travel to other luxury properties, both near and far.

Our focus at Clarendon Square is on guest satisfaction in a " hip & historic" environment.
We do wish our perfect run with you had continued for a few more laps.
Our best to you as you in this stressful time as you move your family to Boston.
Stephen Gross - proprietor
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This place is by far the best B&B I have ever stayed in. I have stayed in B&B's all over the U.S. and all though I have stayed in really nice ones none of them can compare to this one. The great experience started with the wonderful Misty who helped me on the phone and then answered my 1000 questions about Boston when I got there, the amazing rooftop views with jacuzzi, to the beutiful enterior of this amazing brownstone. I hate to really tell you about this great place as it might be full the next time I decide to visit Boston but it is in a word "Awesome" whether you are alone or with a family, male or female, gay or straight, or even if you are a cyclops.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are excellent. If you want total privacy ask for the basement, it has a private lit...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
clarendonsquare, Owner at Clarendon Square Inn, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Allen, Wow! Thank you for the complement and for sharing your experience at our property. Personally I am honored that you put Clarendon Square at the top of your well traveled B&B list. We strive to present the professionalism of any 5 star hotel with the intimacy that you can only find in a smaller property. Misty is a gem, and I am glad she helped you find all best places in Boston. This little bit of local knowledge can make all the difference. It is absolutely our pleasure to help! Alas, we have not yet hosted a Cyclops, but feel free to let the word out, we do welcome all to our property. Safe travels, Stephen Gross - Proprietor
Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Just completed a three day stay that was generally excellent, except for the weather! We arrived early in the morning, so our room was not ready until 3pm. The Inn has a powder room in the reception area, so we were able to freshen up and hit the streets! We left and did not return until 3:30pm and were given the key to Room #4 on the top floor. We took our bags up to the room, and the maid was just finishing up the bathroom. The room itself seemed very spacious compared to a standard hotel room, and the bathroom featured a shower with plenty of space for two people—and even two shower heads. High end toiletries are featured, too. The room was very nice and quiet, although the hatch door to the rooftop hot tub is right outside the room door. No one used the tub during our stay because the weather was so crummy, so you might want to ask Stephen or Bobby about this if you are a light sleeper. These guys are "hands on" innkeepers—when you go down to breakfast—which begins at 8am—they are the ones cooking things up. And the breakfast the guys fix is really excellent—a nice selection of juices, cold cereals and fruit and breads, along with more typical fare for the euro guests. (Bobby makes great oatmeal, too.) Buying a breakfast for two like this at a Boston hotel would cost you $40, at least. We found chatting with the other visitors to the Inn a treat, and is a key element of the B&B experience.

BTW, the bed in #4 is the most comfortable bed we’ve slept in—in hotels or inns—anywhere.

We had booked our room for 4 nights, but because the weather was so dreadful we told Stephen we were going to leave Saturday rather than Sunday morning. He told me he would try to re-rent the room, and if he couldn’t we’d be charged for the last night. We figured if we were leaving because of the weather there was not going to be an influx of short-notice visitors to the area. That, too, is part of the B&B experience—when the guys have just 7 rooms and have already turned away potential guests for the nights you’ve reserved, they can’t produce instant replacements on short notice. (It is something to consider when choosing between a hotel and a B&B.)

That being said, staying in and learning about a different neighborhood in a city we’ve visited numerous times was worth it for us. And a special touch like setting out cookies and tea for guests at the end of an evening is what makes the B&B experience interesting. Getting to know our hosts worked in our favor in many ways--Bobby encouraged us to try B&G Oysters, where we got the best dinner of our stay, so we’re delighted we discovered a restaurant we are already anxious to visit again. We left early on Saturday and called the taxi service the guys suggested, and the driver arrived in less than 10 minutes. Go Bruins, Go Sox!

Room Tip: If you have any issues at all, Stephen wants to know about them so he can improve his Inn and your e...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
clarendonsquare, Owner at Clarendon Square Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Runnrdad, We are thrilled that your first small inn experience was enjoyable for you and your wife. We have many guests who are giving the B&B world a try hoping to find something just a little more personal. We are especially pleased that you found our beds comfortable and our rooms spacious. I am sorry we could not do something more about the weather for you. As we say in New England, we can be certain that the weather will change quickly and alas, the sun did come out on Sunday. We do hope you will come back to us again and try more from our ever expanding selection of restaurants in the South End.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Having visited Boston several times prior to our Memorial Day weekend visit, I was looking for something different than a large, impersonal hotel experience. For my wife's 30th birthday, I wanted something more quiet and intimate--Clarendon Square was the answer.

Located perfectly in the South End (the last time I visited Boston almost 7 years ago, the South End was where you DIDNT want to be) the old Victorian style mansion worked great. With 7 rooms, we had a perfect stay. To top it off, they have a roof top hot tub with views of downtown and sparkling wine in the honor bar, a tremendous combination. We walked comfortably to all Tremont street restaurants, Fenway Park, Copley Square/Back Bay, and of course Newbury.

We wouldn't have changed a thing about our stay and look forward to visiting Boston and the Clarendon Square again soon!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Clarendon Square Inn? Share your experiences!