“Great Stay in Boston” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn At St Botolph

You added The Inn At St Botolph to your Saves list
The Inn At St Botolph
3.5 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   99 Saint Botolph Street, Boston, MA 02116 (Back Bay)   |
Ranked #20 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Savannah, Georgia
“Great Stay in Boston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My vacation in Boston went great thanks to The Inn @ St. Botolph. Easy check-in process, housekeepers did a fine job of cleaning my suite before the stay and excellent job with room service. Staff/managers was very friendly and understanding. Continental breakfast served and fine dining restaurants recommended by the hotel. Next time I'm in Boston I know exactly where I am staying.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
N.Irealnd
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

If you are looking for a hotel with full staff - this is not the palce for you but if you want location (it is less than 3 minute walk from the T station at the Prudentail building), then please consider this place. The electronic pass is easy to manage. My family (2 adults and an 8 year old) found that the 1 bedroom suite had plenty of space. The kitchenette was large enough to cook simple meals - so we did not have to eat out every night. The area is very quiet. The breakfast is fine but it is very nice to be able to get nice coffee at anytime.
As some reviewers have mentioned the walls are quite thin, but we did not hear too much from the other rooms.
If back in Boston, we would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chapel Hill, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I + 2 toddlers (1 and 3 years old) stayed here, and loved it. The location is great, and since it a block away from more major hotels, it feels like you are at a little private brownstone community near residents (i.e., not as touristy). The staff are very friendly and accommodating - they email a code for entrance into the building and your room, so no check in hassles at all. The room was clean, well equipped and overall excellent! ps - we were on the second floor and it was not noisy at all. not sure why that was mentioned in other reviews.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
innatstbtolph, General Manager at The Inn At St Botolph, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you shared your feedback! We look forward to being of assistance with any future stays when you travel to Boston!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Overall a very good experience, marred somewhat by a sub-par room location next to the front door and the major power outage during the first weekend of June. On the plus side, we were happy to find such a nice place at a reasonable rate during college graduation/reunion weekend. The location is excellent, convenient to the T and buses, restaurants and shops. With the keyless entry and fairly small size, the Inn has a nice private feel to it. Our room was quite large and very nicely appointed and well laid out. The toiletries, which normally I don't care about, were really good quality: I got several compliments on my hair at my reunion dinner, and I have to give some credit to the Rusk shampoo. I also liked the high quality coffee at the morning breakfast. Sadly, we were here when a major power outage struck at about 3am on Sunday. One of us slept through it, but the other was wakened by an alarm going off somewhere. Ryan B. makes good points about the associated safety issues. I agree that the outage wasn't their fault, but apparently this is the second time in six months (and the last time lasted several days), and they weren't prepared to handle it. The woman on duty was pleasant but unapologetic and rather cavalier; not the attitude you're hoping for. I missed getting breakfast and a shower that morning, but fortunately it wasn't a big deal for us. Despite this mis-step, we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Not 101: it's right by the front door, and there is no lobby, so you can hear people coming in a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

First, allow me to thank you for choosing the Inn @ St. Botolph and posting your feed back. We are very sorry that the power outages had an impact on your stay. We are in the process of reviewing our power outage procedures to better handle this type of situation in the future.

We are very glad to hear that you plan on staying with us again when you return to Boston! Please contact the hotel when you are ready to return and we will make sure you have a VIP stay!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

When I first visited the Inn, I immediately was drawn to the location. It is so convenient, once you get off the green line on the train at the 'prudential' center, it is merely a two minute walk from the mall itself. As soon as you get on the street of the Inn, there's a serenity about the place. Location for me as an avid traveller is a very important aspect of the whole experience. The cleanliness is obviously up to date and so are the facilities. The room I stayed at was beautifully decorated in classic yet modern designs, not only was it aesthetically pleasing but the staff was also very polite and I required extra pillows and they were already in the closet! Pre-prepared; I definitely appreciate that. Will visit again for sure, and a must stay for everybody who wants to experience a luxury boutique hotel!

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for staying at the Inn @ St. Botolph and sharing your feedback!

Please let us know if we can be of service with any future reservation needs.

White Bear Lake, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I travel often to Boston and were looking for a place more than just a hotel room and we found it. Great location, bed very comfortable, space felt like home with a kitchenette, and couch. Staff was very helpful. Would stay here again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Becky D,

Thank you for choosing the Inn @ St. Botolph and sharing your feed back! We are glad that the hotel's amenities fit your needs!

Please let us know if there is ever anything that we can do to assist you with your future reservations!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I will start by saying that the Inn is in a wonderful spot in the back bay area of Boston. You can walk to almost anywhere you would want to go in the city with the exception of the North End which is a little over 2 miles away; if you are feeling adventurous you can certainly take the 45 minute trip by foot. The majority of my experience at the Inn was great; I was sent front door and room access codes so I didn't need to check in; I showed up with my wife punched in the door code and we were in our room within 2 minutes of arriving. The room itself is nice; we had a 1 bedroom which provided a sitting area and "separate" bedroom area which was closed off by two pocket doors that didn't actually shut all the way due to not being level. The kitchen had an apartment sized refrigerator; 2 burner cook top toaster and microwave. Fully appointed with everything you would need to cook if that was your wish. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was adequate. There was a lack of water pressure in the shower but other than that everything was very nice. We stayed in room 303 which is adjacent to the elevator shaft; it was a bit noisy but not so much that it would prevent you from sleeping.

During the second night of our stay the City of Boston experienced a large power outage that included the Inn. There is nothing that they could do to make power come back on and I am not faulting them for the power loss; the three floors that we had to walk down paled in comparison to the people in the neighboring Sheraton and Marriott Hotels.

The only reason that I knew the power went out at 3:15 AM was because the carbon monoxide detector started to beep; and continued to beep once every minute. The reason for the beeping was because the battery had not been replaced in what I am guessing was several years; getting past the annoyance of the beeping the safety issue is my greatest concern. This was not the end of the safety issues I noticed. When I tried to dial the after hours number the phone failed to work. I am guessing the Inn uses a VOIP phone system so that without an internet connection you do not have a phone either and the number given for after hours was only an extension not and actual 10 digit number making my cell phone useless.

When 8 AM finally came around and my wife went downstairs to speak to the person at the desk she came back up and removed the carbon monoxide detector didn't apologize or or even seem to be the least bit concerned that it had been going off for 4.5 hours. When we left a few minutes later in search of coffee a number of other safety issues became apparent;the first of which was the lack of emergency lighting. Two CFL bulbs provided a faint amount of light in the hallway however you could not see from one end to another; the beep of another carbon monoxide detector could also be heard entering the hallway. The exit signs which are supposed to be illuminated were dark. We made our way down the hallway and entered the stairwell to find that there was no fixed emergency lighting in the stairwell either. When you opened the door there were 2 battery operated lanterns that were resting at each landing and the ground floor simply had a flash light laying horizontal shinning against the wall. We were fortunate that the bottom door of the stairwell was left open providing some extra light; had this been 3:00 AM we would have had to feel our way down the entire stairwell.

I am not positive how exactly you can get an occupancy permit with so many glaring fire code issues but it is seem of little concern to the owners of the Inn or the City of Boston.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ryan B,

Thank you very much for choosing the Inn @ St. Botolph.

We can't apologize enough for the inconveniences that you experienced during the power outage in Boston. Our emergency lighting is of course to code, but unfortunately the length of the power outage exceeded the length of the battery life in the emergency lights. We completely agree that the lighting in the stairwell was less than adequate and we have been active in purchasing several coleman lanterns to put in the stairwells should we have to endure another power outage of this length of time.

We are in the process to reviewing our emergency procedures, and we are confident that we are much better prepared for any future power outages.

We are very happy that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and the room amenities. We hope that if you are ever returning to Boston you will consider staying with us again.

Tom DeSisto

Been to The Inn At St Botolph? Share your experiences!