“Loved it” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Seacoast NH
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

Stayed at the Langham from Saturday to Sunday. We attended a concert in town and didn't want to drive home afterwards. Hotwire had a great rate of under $150 so we booked it. Of course you don't find out the actual hotel until you confirm and pay but matching up the location (financial district) and amenities we had it pretty well narrowed down.

Check in was very efficient, bell service was prompt and gave us the lay of the land. The room was excellent, very nicely decorated, boutique hotel style with plush towels and linens, robes, slippers, 600 thread count sheets, the whole 9 yards. Turn down service left chocolates and filled the cooler with ice for our water bottles and sodas.

We parked across the street in Post Office Square for 9 bucks a night, very sweet deal for Boston. We hit the bar for some martini's around 4 pm, the drinks were excellent and the bartender quite attentive. He even made dinner reservations for us at the Chart House near the aquarium. Above and beyond service for sure. He also knew the full history of the hotel and the stories behind the old paintings hanging in the bar. Very interesting.

Later that night after the concert we hit the lounge again and the piano player was fabulous. The waitress kept the drinks coming and the snack bowl full, the wasabi coated soy beans or peas were spicy and very good.

We enjoyed every aspect of the stay although I would say if I was going to pay full rate I'd probably spring for the extra money to be at the Four Seasons. The location is good, although on weekends the financial district is pretty dead. On Sunday we ate breakfast near Downtown Crossing at a place called Kennedy's, that was not so good. Slow and poor service resulting in cold food. The Langham Sunday brunch looked awesome but we had filled up on dinner and for $50 a head, were just not ready to eat that much.

In summary, I'd stay here again if I could get a decent rate. It's hard to stomach the full rate when we only live about 1 hour away and can take the bus or train quite easily.

• Liked — Linens, towels, robes
  • Disliked — No small cafes close by that are open on Sunday morning.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

Good 4 star hotel that lived up to expectations and I'd probably go back because of the staff and locale. I did observe a few oddities that I found out of sorts for a luxury hotel. Petty complaints? Decide for yourself.

Met family in the lobby a couple of times during the week. Nice part is that there are plenty of places to sit; strange part, the furniture should have been restuffed and upholstered long ago. Threadbare fabric and cushions down to the springs?!?! Gimme a break! Seems odd that mgmt doesn't take notice, care.

Booked a superior king room ($350+ a night!). Not terribly large and not terribly small. Typical for a city hotel. Bizarre thing, room was discombobulated when I walked in and remained that way for all three nights of my stay. Lampshades crooked, never straightened, dust ruffle around bed didn't fit; looked real sloppy. Suggestion: Get the dusty electric cords out of sight! "A" it looks muddled "B" its dangerous!! My 2 ½ y/o nephew pulled the lamp cord that was hanging down and piled along the side of the dresser and the lamp tumbled down & knocked him on the skull. Good thing it was the fabric shade that clunked him, not the metal base!! Common sense; if the cord was out of sight and mind, like in most hotels, it wouldn't have happened!

Alright the maid cleaned the room as expected for a clean Holiday Inn but lacked the tidiness of a luxury hotel where people fork out $350 a pop! 3 nites, $1,300 bucks later, for me not so petty!

• Liked — Helpful nice staff
  • Disliked — Basic lack of attention to detail
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Saratoga, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2007

I spent two nights in June 2007 at the Langham in downtown Boston while on business--my first stay in this hotel. The location was great, in downtown Boston, within walking distance of the Investor Conference I was attending and only about 20 minutes from the airport.

Things started off just right, with the doorman offering to take my luggage, holding the door for me, and escorting me to the check-in desk. The lobby was attractive, and the attendant who checked me in was professional, friendly, very quick, and shared with me important details about the hotel before showing me to the elevators.

He explained that there is 24 hour room service, which I was pleased to hear, since I was arriving late and needed to order dinner, a small gym that is open from 6am-9pm, and an indoor pool and spa, a nice amenity.

Upon checking into the room, I was a bit surprised to see how small it was. It was smaller than a typical room in a 4 or 5 star US hotel; it reminded of the size room one might get in a business hotel in London. There was a very nice king size bed, with great down pillows and comfortable bedding, a desk with wired internet access that costs $9.95 per day (not wireless), a bedside table, a three drawer dresser, a TV cabinet (with an old 24 inch TV--not a newer, larger, plasma TV found in many 4 or 5 star hotels in the US today), one chair with a small round table next to it. The bathroom was adequate size, with a small tub/shower. The room was big enough for one, but there was no room for a room-service table, so they brought the food on a tray, and I had to eat on the small round table--not the best set up.

I ordered room service for dinner, and it was promised within 25 minutes, and they almost made it. It took about 35 minutes. The menu was limited for this type of hotel, but the food was fine.

The bed was very comfortable, and I had a restful night. My only major complaint was that my wake-up call came 10 minutes early. Since I had traveled from the west coast and was a bit jet-lagged, I was a bit peeved that they called early, as I would have liked to have had another 10 minutes of sleep (and having 10 extra minutes in the morning before I had to leave for a business meeting was not enough time to eat breakfast or work out; what do you do with only 10 extra minutes!). I complained about the early wake-up call, and the operator said they often call early, because they have so many wake-up calls requested for the same time. The next night, when I requested a wake-up call, I emphasized that I did not want the call to come early! This worked.

I used the fitness center during my stay, and there was a wide variety of cardio equipment (3 treadmills, 3 bikes, 2 precors, and 2 stairmasters) and a few pieces of weight equipment., not enough to really get a weight workout--pretty typical of a small hotel gym. The treadmills seemed a little old, but everything else was in good shape. There were a number of TV's in the fitness room within view of most of the cardio equipment, but there were no headsets, so with the volume for many of the TVs on all at once, it was a bit noisy in there. There was some complementary fruit available, which was a nice touch after a workout.

All in all, this was a pretty nice 4-star hotel in a great location with good service. Beware though that the rooms are small.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — wake up call came too early
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2007

We were supposed to have a superior room. We looked out over the roof air conditioners on the fifth floor - say you prefer not to have room 564. Otherwise, we had a great time; only five blocks from Quincy Market and a nice walk, close to Filene's Basement, Macy's. Ate at Saraceno in the North End and The Four Seasons Restaurant - both fabulous.

• Liked — The Towels
  • Disliked — The size of the bed
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2007

I don't have anything specifically negative to say about the Langham, only that it failed to knock my socks off. I stayed here for 2 nights en route from California to London, so I was in transit somewhat and the hotel did provide me with what I needed - a quiet room, comfy bed. Good points: the staff were friendly, the swimming pool and whirlpool were very nice and Julien's the cocktail bar was beautiful. Also I asked for a DVD player and one was provided promptly, which impressed me. Not so good points: there's nothing really close by in terms of places to grab a snack or a soft drink - there's a 7 eleven the other side of the park but that's it really. The room service was extortionate - all of the wines were expensive but so was the food - way overpriced I thought, and I begrudge this. Its a nice hotel and a grand building but like I said, it didn't knock my socks off.

• Liked — comfortable bed
  • Disliked — overpriced room service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hamburg, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2007

After reviewing this hotel and it's 4.5 star rating, I was expecting a bit more.
Granted we did not take advantage of any of the brunches, chocolate bar or any other amienites but our room was "okay".
There is a parking lot adjacent to the Langham (One Post Office Square) but the pricing is not clearly listed. Langham offers 24-hour, in-and-out valet parking for $25, which in retrospect I think we should have gone with as our parking for a day and a half was $45.
Check-in wasn't a problem, though they had two people at the desk, four stations and a line of about 6 or 7.
The concierge didn't seem to have alot of information about the area. We asked about the Freedom Trail ("Information is at Boston Common") and Parking (which was a huge debacle in which I got three different answers from the same man). The conciegre always seemed to be on the phone.
The room wasn't anything spectacular, though the floor had a stale smoke smell to it... which was odd as the floor was non-smoking. There was an ionizer down the hall from our room.
The room looked cramped/poorly set up.
The TV wasn't very viewable from the bed. You could see it, but it wasn't totally comforatable.
Our room overlooked one of the main hallways, the fitness room and the pool.
The towels were firm but not as cushy as I had expected for a hotel of this caliber. Perhaps it's because we were in a "regular" room instead of a suite.
The bathroom was nothing too remarkable.

Because this hotel is in the Financial District, it is not busy on the weekends or after hours.
Dunkin' Doughnuts is around the corner for Saturday Morning breakfast. There weren't any convieniece-type stores open to grab snacks (after say, 7pm) and the hotel did not offer any kind of vending. The closest place for late-night-non-pub snacks was at Boston Common.

The hotel was about a 10-15 minute walk to Boston Common where you could catch the green or red lines.

I guess I expected more from a hotel with a 4.5 star rating, though I have a feeling that the amenities are what makes the rating what it is.

• Liked — Nothing stands out at this hotel, so I guess the walk to the subway
  • Disliked — The hype
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2007

Charming and well appointed, this hotel is probably Boston's best place to stay, located in the heart of the city (but Boston is so small....) with a QUITE positive price/value score. My room was large and recently restored, luxury and elegance are the attributes of it. The minibar had an entire world of things to eat and drink inside of it. Prices were acceptable too. The spa and pool center is a plaesant place to spend 20 minutes before dinner time, and the Hotel has always wonderful activities during the day (es. day of chocolates of the world, day of tea, day of pizza and so on). Concierges are really kind and indicated restaurants and other places to go even at really impossible evening/night hours. Gorgeous place for family with kids too. I absolutely raccomend it.

• Liked — Charme, Concierge service, Large Rooms
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Langham, Boston? Share your experiences!