“Best Hotel I've Ever Stayed At” 5 of 5 stars

Up to 20% off!
Ranked #24 of 77 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lansing, Illinois
“Best Hotel I've Ever Stayed At”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I've stayed in old city downtown hotels before. Many are ornate inside and offer good service, but the rooms are often small and outdated. Not The Langham. Our room was huge and full of comforts and conveniences. We had 2 queen beds, a large LCD TV (37" I think), lots of storage for clothing including a lighted full closet with 2 soft bath robes waiting to keep you warm (it was July, we didn't use them), a generous sitting area and work desk. There was even an Ipod docking station that served as our alarm. The windows are large and covered with expensive drapery and sheers. The beds also have the finest sheets, pillows, and blanket. The bed was firm, which I like. We had central air with a thermostat control. There is a nightlight near the bathroom - nice touch. We slept well and didn't hear noise from adjoining rooms.

The bathroom was large with lots of room for your things on the granite top sink. It is stocked with little soaps and other conveniences. A 2nd phone sits between the sink and toilet to handle calls at inconvenient times. There is plenty of room to step out of the shower. The bach towels are HUGE and thick - no cost cutting here!

The gym and the 3rd floor pool are clean and well-maintained. No charge to use the business center to print boarding passes, but there is a charge for perusing the internet, and breakfast is charged to you also. We didn't do the breakfast so I can't comment.

The service was also first rate. We arrived early but they relieved us of our baggage so we could enjoy the city and they called us when our room was ready. The turn down service is great - our room was refreshed, slippers were waiting by the bed, mints on the bed, and a note was left with the next day's weather forecast. They quickly hailed a cab for us when we checked out very early on a Saturday morning, knowing we had to catch a flight and that cabs were not lined up outside yet. They did everything to make us happy. Most of the employees we ran into were exceedingly professional, but at the expense of having a personality, which is my only negative comment. I realize this is more of a business than leisure hotel, but I prefer staff members I can have fun with over stuffy people calling me 'sir' all day.

After taxes we spent $250/night, so it's not cheap, but I've paid more for a whole lot less at other city hotels. This hotel is in the financial district and is easy walking distance to lots of great restaurants and all the main attractions in Boston. You can't beat it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Rainydock,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Langham, Boston. I am delighted to read that you found our accommodations spacious and our in room amenities convenient and comfortable. I am glad that the service you experience from our colleagues was “first rate” and that our location in the Financial District was ideal and within walking distance to local attractions. Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham, Boston in the near future.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The 2 kids and I tagged along with hubby for a seminar. This is our second stay at the Langham and once again we had a nice time. Check in took a bit, there was quite a line, but they did have 3 of 4 check in desks open. We used valet since that and in room wi-fi was covered by his seminar, otherwise, we would have parked in the garage next door. It was nice to find 2 complimentary waters in our car upon leaving. Our room wasn't ready but they took my cell # to call when it was ready. So we trekked all our bags up to the pool area so the kids could swim, as it was rainy out. The spa area gives a nice tranquil feel and the pool area is nice. A decent sized pool, which seemed heated, is very bright with full almost floor to ceiling windows. I was concerned because we had left my sons float home but they have a storage bin with extra swimmies, safety vests and noodles, which was great. There's some light background music which my daughter said sounded like sad music, lol, but I told her it was more like zen/relaxing music. Also had a nice hot tub as well, but it was very hot. Our room was much more on the smaller side this time compared to the last stay. Last stay we got a room with a long hallway and 16+ foot ceilings that overlooked the gardens. This room was much more stuffy for 4 with double beds that overlooked office buildings. Nice size HD tv and my kids loved the robes and slippers. Easy walking distance, less than 10 minutes to Faneuil Hall with lots of cute little outdoor shopping kiosks and places to eat. We ate at Cheers. We had a relatively peaceful sleep, really comfy beds. However, we were awoken at 4 in the AM by sirens, but the hotel can't control that. It was nice to check out of our room and be able to swim the afternoon and use the spa to shower/change. I found all the employees we had contact with to be very pleasant and professional.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the high ceiling overlooking the gardens. Wish I did this time around.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sumrtyme1973,

Thank you for taking the time to review your second stay with us at The Langham, Boston. I am pleased to read that you and your children had a memorable stay with us. I am glad to hear that you found our accommodations and services enjoyable and that your children loved our pool. Thank you as well for complimenting the pleasant and professional service you received from our colleagues. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham on your next visit to Boston.

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

hard to find fault with this very clean, spacious and friendly hotel. The only reason we did not give 5 stars is because of the additional costs of wifi and breakfast.

However, the Sunday brunch (buffet) is exceptional in both it's quality and variety. Well worth the cost.

The swimming pool and gym are nice and clean, and a nice bonus!

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and overall our stay was very good. We would stay at the Langham again. Top notch.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the lifts and those with a view of the park are nicer
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mheijnen,

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay at The Langham during your visit to Boston. I am delighted that your stay with us met your expectations and that you loved our Sunday Brunch. Thank you as well for complimenting the friendly and helpful service you received from our colleagues. On behalf of my colleagues and I, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham, Boston.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The hotel is nice and the facilities are nice. The staff seems eager to please. Only downside was when I called to request a late check out I was told no. The front desk clerk told me that she was sorry, but that the hotel was fully booked the next night and therefore they could not allow any late check outs. She told me I could leave my bags with the concierge after checking out until I was ready to leave. None of this was a problem. I understood and thought 'oh well'. Then I went down to the front desk with my bags to check out.
While I was checking out, a man stopped by the counter next to me and asked for a late check out and he was granted one. Now THAT was a problem. I was still denied a late check out even after pointing this out to the front desk clerk. Why? At the very least there is a communication problem between management and frontline staff. This place, while very nice and elegant, just isn't worth the time or money. I really can't stand inconsistencies in service at hotels.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Bart M,

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stat with us at The Langham, Boston. I am pleased that you had overall en enjoyable stay with us and found our hotel elegant. I am disappointed to read however that you encountered a service shortfall with our Front Desk during your stay, which I would like to apologize for. I have spoken with our Front of House Manager to retrain our Agents on the Langham Standards for extending late checkouts and on customer service to ensure that there is consistency between all Front Desk colleagues. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Langham, Boston.

belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Beautiful hotel with all the luxuries you would need. Staff very friendly and helpful. The breakfasts are wonderful, as are the afternoon teas. The rooms are spacious with free coffee making facilities, but you do have to pay for the water. There are bath robes and slippers provided and the turn down service at night is lovely. The swimming pool is wonderful to relax in after a day of sightseeing. It is very close to all the local attractions.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Happy2travelbelfast,

Thank you for your review of your stay at The Langham, Boston. I am delighted to read that you had a memorable stay with and found our hotel beautiful and the service from our colleagues friendly. I am pleased that you found our breakfasts and Afternoon Tea wonderful and our pool and spa relaxing. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham on your next visit to Boston.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Only stayed one night with my family and had a very good experience. First of all, the location is great. Walking distance to trolley tours, Fanieul hall/Quincy market, the freedom trail, to name a few. Beds were extremely comfortable, would live to have the bedding at home. I think the front desk had to act as concierge a bit as the person at desk wasn't around 2 times I wanted help, and only having valet parking disappointing too. Enjoyed my stay and would be happy to stay again sometime in another trip to Boston.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Tadr1,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at The Langham, Boston. I am pleased that our location within walking distance to Faneuil Hall and the Waterfront was ideal, and that you found our accommodations to be comfortable. I am disappointed to read that you encountered difficulty with our Concierge. I have spoken with our Head Concierge to ensure that all Langham Standards on customer service are followed. In addition to Valet Parking, there is a garage located adjacent to the hotel that offers self parking should you prefer for future stays with us. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham, Boston soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

My first night at Langham Boston was the worse experience I never have. I can't believe that Langham could rent out this type of room to their guess, a number to remember, room#668. It is very noisy since it is located next to the housekeeper elevator and the fan is right on top of the bed. They told us that the bed size is queen size, however I think is more like a double then a queen. That night we could not sleep. I complained the situation to the front desk, they cannot do anything that night because the hotel was fully booked. However the next day, they upgraded our room,which is way better. So the second night we had a good night sleep! However I am really surprise that Langham could rent out this type of room to their guess! I am sure we are not the first one to complain about it.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Muyh,

Thank you for you feedback of your stay at The Langham, Boston. I am disappointed to read that your stay in Room 668 did not meet your expectations. Our Director of Engineering investigated the source of the noise in your room which unfortunately was caused by a malfunctioning water valve, and has been replaced since your stay. I am glad to read that you were able to receive a good night’s sleep on your second night with us and we hope to welcome you back to The Langham on your next visit to Boston.

Managing Director

Been to The Langham, Boston? Share your experiences!