“The Perfect Hotel Stay” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Freeport, Maine
“The Perfect Hotel Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was my second stay at the Langham in Boston. Although it is in the financial district, it is a short walk to China Town and many other Boston attractions. It is luxurious, elegant and extremely comfortable. The staff is attentive and very professional. Our bed was amazingly comfortable with perfect pillows. We will be staying there again when we go to Boston.

Room Tip: The ninth floor is quiet, but when the hotel is full, the hot water isn't as hot as I like it to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Anne O,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Langham, Boston. I am delighted that you enjoyed your second stay with us and found our colleagues to be attentive and our accommodations elegant and comfortable. I thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham on your next visit to Boston.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
West Islip, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

For our most recent trip to Boston, My Dearest decided to be a good corporate citizen (a/k/a sucker) and let the company travel office lodge us wherever they could get the best rate. Every instinct in me screamed that this was madness, but in a moment of weakness I let My Dearest’s silly wishes trump my hard-won instincts. The travel office installed us in the Langham, and my instincts were proven right.

First impressions were not good. The lobby at the Langham is a soulless expanse that reminded me, at least in spirit, of the waiting area at the Department of Motor Vehicles. The lobby lacks furnishings, décor, flowers, or any human touch whatsoever. Its perimeter is lined with a few ugly and uncomfortable chairs inhabited by hapless businessfolk balancing their laptops on their knees. People!! Were you asleep in Hotel Management 101 when the professor taught that a hotel lobby should be a comfortable and inviting location for people to meet, friends to gather, and guests to wait for their rooms or their rides? Or did you not show up for class that day?

What was probably a particularly dead space across from the lobby has been dressed up as a “new” champagne bar with chairs designed to give you back pain, tacky plastic chandeliers with sparkling white lights stolen from somebody’s Xmas tree, and a sad looking bar topped with bottles of champagne in ice buckets. During our entire stay I did not see a single person drink champagne there. No wonder. Apart from a Mormon Church, I cannot imagine a less inviting spot to quaff a flute of champagne!

Our room was small and cluttered with threadbare bits of cheap furniture. It lacked charm, taste, or any human touch. The closet was dingy and difficult to access. Still the room was, in its own crowded little way, functional: the bed was firm and comfortable and there was plenty of lighting.

The bathroom screamed Hampton Inn. Only one sink surrounded by a fake stone counter. An old bathtub with a Bath Fitter acrylic liner glued onto it. My mouth breathing daughter-in-law installed exactly the same thing when she renovated her bathrooms on the cheap. Just as it does at my daughter-in-law’s, the acrylic liner buckled when I stepped into the bath. The bathroom tiles were dated with visible gaps between them. Cheap taps and faucets. One of the tackiest plastic wastebins I have ever seen. Single ply toilet paper with fake quilting. On the plus side: (1) a functional illuminated make-up mirror; (2) a powerful hair dryer; and (3) an ample supply of towels. In politically correct Boston this is probably the only hotel without signs instructing you not to use hot water or towels when you bathe in order to save the polar bears.

To enhance the gloom in the bathroom were bars of black soap that grew a waxy gray film when they got wet. Eeeeeeewww!! The soap and the other product bore the label of Chuan Spa, which is part of the Langham Hospitality Group. So the hotel wants you to think they are giving you fancy spa product when in fact they are just giving you the house brand.

Many members of the hotel staff were superb. The gentleman who brought us room service meals was charming and efficient. Housekeeping responded promptly to my requests. The doormen were unfailingly helpful and polite. Whenever I handed them a small tip they paused to give me a sincere thank you. (My Dearest thought that the bowler hats on the doormen made them look like Laurel and Hardy, but I found the hats quite fetching!)

On the other hand the receptionist delayed our check in with needless chatter, issued us room keys that failed to work, and promised us daily newspapers that never arrived.

I sent My Dearest to the fitness center. He reported that, while small, it was spotlessly clean and well equipped and included a lap pool and Jacuzzi.

I planned to dislike Bond, the hotel’s main restaurant and cocktail bar. I am skeptical of restaurants that strive as hard as Bond does to broadcast that they are so much cooler than the rest of us. Every dollar dumped into the “Bond is So Hip” PR budget is a dollar less for the Bond food and drink budget. For once, my fears were misplaced. On a quiet night Bond is a pleasant spot for a drink and a light meal. The classic and creative cocktails are well crafted. The menu is eclectic with Asian, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, and New England touches. We are not talking Michelin star (or even Bobby Flay), but most of the food was enjoyable. Don’t tell the rabbi, but I recommend the lobster sliders. The service was attentive, courteous, and professional. The décor in Bond is garish and I fear that on a busy night the din would Roto Rooter the wax from My Dearest’s ears.

The Langham was not awful, but it fell well below my expectations. When My Dearest and I select hotels in the future, we will follow my instincts rather than his impulse to get philanthropic with his travel budget.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear tarrytown54,

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay at The Langham, Boston. I am disappointed to read that your stay did not meet your expectations; however I am pleased to read that you found the service provided by our colleagues throughout the hotel to be “superb” and that you did enjoy your dinner at BOND, especially the lobster sliders. I thank you for your feedback.

Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The hotel prides itself on being a luxury hotel and it is. The staff is professional, the service is good. The rooms are nicely appointed. The bar is splashily decorated and the light dinner they provide is tasty. The breakfust buffet is also good. The only thing that is mediocre is the high tea. Though they use a teapot, the tea comes in a bag. The sandwiches were relatively tasteless. The scones, however were delicious. The only odd thing is that the surge protector installed to give business users extra plugs, at the nicely appointed desk, is plugged into a socket that goes off when you turn the main lights off so no charging while you sleep. You have to plug in everything on the other side of the room. A small point but a nuisance even for non business travelors. I actually had maintence change a bulb before I figured it out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear MEBesq,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us at The Langham, Boston. We are delighted that you found our accommodations and services enjoyable. Regarding the Tea Service, we are proud to work with Harney & Sons Teas, which has developed a silk tea satchet that contains loose leaf tea. This is sometimes mistaken as a teabag, however we are delighted that you found our scones delicious. Thank you for your comment regarding the surge protector, our Engineering team is looking into this. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham Boston in the near future.

Phoenix, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I made a last minute decision to stay here. I checked in late around 10:30pm. I didn't like the antics in the mostly empty lobby (which is very nicely decorated by the way). A man trying to check in with two women. Trampy women slinking around in an aimless way. Who knows what the deal was, but it did not sit well with me.

The room was a good size, but tired featuring that beige and cream wall paper that was common in upscale hotels in the 80s. The furniture was heavy and old. The bathroom was okay. Again, more 80s. The bed was really uncomfortable. I woke up with a sore back and I have a good strong back. I didn't linger in the morning. I checked out and showered when I got home later that morning as the tub/shower was not very inviting either.

Not what I'd call a luxury experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear JRBW1960,

Let me thank you for choosing The Langham on your recent trip to Boston. I am saddened to read about your disappointing experience while staying at our property. I would like to apologize for some of the shortfalls you encountered. I thank you again for your feedback and hope to welcome you back to The Langham on your next trip to Boston.

Smithtown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just experienced The Langham for the first time, truly a memorable stay. This is a SOLID upscale hotel in Downtown Boston and an easy walk anywhere. The rooms are well appointed, the bath and towels are terrific and the pillows...I have to have them for my home now.
Everyone is cheery, helpful and not stuffy. We enjoyed the "chocolate bar" on Saturday (you had better like chocolate everything :)) it was nice with a DJ playing music. The Sunday Brunch is terrific, anything and everything you could want to eat. The Bond room is really elegant by day and I understand "hip" at night.
Will stay there again

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor overlooking the "post office park", quiet on the weekend.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Pat R,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Langham, Boston. I am delighted to read that your first stay with us was a memorable experience and that you found our accommodations and services enjoyable, and our colleagues helpful. I have shared your comments regarding the Chocolate Bar and Sunday Brunch with the respective teams and am pleased that you found both terrific. On behalf of my colleagues and myself, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham on your next visit to Boston.

plymouth uk.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Following a fantastic holiday in October 2012, that took us from Boston to Stowe in Vermont, we stayed at The Langham for our last night and day before flying back to the U.K.
We were upgraded at no extra cost and had a truly beautiful room, all the staff from the doorman, maids, front desk and management were a pleasure to speak with. Our only regret is that we could not stay for longer.
This was our first visit to Boston and we have fallen in love with all it has to offer, we will definitely return in the not too distant future.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear lynn3198,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us at The Langham, Boston in October 2012. I am delighted that you found your room beautiful and our colleagues a “pleasure to speak with”. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham for a longer stay on your next trip to Boston.

Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We have stayed here many times and we are never disappointed. It is a lovely hotel, well appointed rooms with well trained staff. It is sophisticated without being stuffy. It has a wonderful bar and restaurant as well. It has an excellent international feel with multilingual staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Langham Hotels

langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear lilygirl2,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Langham, Boston. I am pleased to read that you continue to find our hotel lovely, our accommodations well appointed and our colleagues multilingual and well trained. I am delighted that you are returning guests and look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham on your next visit to Boston.

Managing Director

Been to The Langham, Boston? Share your experiences!