“No beer here” 2 of 5 stars

Helsinki, Finland
“No beer here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Location is great.
Room was very hot (no a/c, or even a fan). No wireless internet but internet connection was possible with cable (reception didn't advise us). Lot of rules (no alcoholic drinks).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Usk, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

I stayed here with friends for a couple of nights two weeks ago. Our room was narrow but decent with comfy beds and a desk and a chest of draws. It was clean as were the bathroom facilities which were pretty good. The staff were friendly and helpful. This place does not have a 'hostel' atmosphere simply because it isn't a hostel! It's more like uni dorms. I feel we got our money's worth.

What I liked about the place was that:
- It was close to the attractions.
-In a safe area and each room you could lock. Most of the people we encountered in the hallway were also students - saw no dodgy characters.
- You get free access to the health centre which has a large, well equipped gym and a 25 metre pool.

What I disliked:
-There were only 3 computers which got very busy and no wifi.

Overall, though, a very good stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

Where do I begin? Ok, the stench when you get off the elevator. Is it the garbage stored there in the large bin behind the locked cage door? Is it the general rot of this old building? Is it some of the lifer inmates here? There is this weird chemical/sour smell everywhere, like the alcoholic neighbor I had once who never bathed or washed his clothes. The hallways have no ventilation -- it appears the bedroom doors used to have vent screens built in, which at some point were simply all sealed up. The bedroom is perfect ... to commit suicide in. Many layers of badly applied paint, mirror ripped off the door, drawstring switch to turn on the filthy ceiling light fixture, distressed Goodwill-reject random furniture, cruddy floor tiles, nasty old lumpy mattress. The screen doesn't quite fit the window so mosquitoes bite at night (I hope they were mosquitoes and not bedbugs). You have to keep the window open or you would die from the stench and the heat, even though outside the loud central a/c machinery roars all night for the neighboring Northeastern University building. The communal bathroom stinks, the shower stall for two is filthy, the two sinks each have a tiny one-square-foot mirror over them, glued over the remnants of where the larger mirror once stood. One feels as if one does not want to touch the doorknobs or anything else in this place.

How about the gym/pool privileges included as part of the room fee? The health club and pool are in the basement of this ugly institutional-style building, and generally dank and unprofessionally kept, but passable. The staff are black people who are pleasant and efficient enough. But the local members are another story: a bunch of ugly old black guys wandering around in their underwear complaining loudly that they are always being "scoped" by "white f*****s," and a bunch of ugly old white guys loping around naked with scowls on their faces apparently so as not to appear gay. Seems like a second home to most and they don't like guests invading their territory. The black guys are especially aggressively unfriendly toward white and Asian tourists, perhaps as a safe way to react against Boston's notorious racism.

Charging $50 a day for this mess is delusional. I think this YMCA is living in the distant past, when gay guys might tolerate the sleaze and lax housekeeping to stay cheaply in a building full of naked guys. Now that the "Y" is trying to lose that reputation and be a high-priced co-ed hostel, they really need to get real about stepping up their game. The fact that the YMCA is nonprofit, and receives grants and tax breaks, one has to wonder where all the money goes -- certainly not in the upkeep of this disgrace. Somebody ought to investigate.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

Several people have compared this place to a homeless shelter. They are not exaggerating. I have seen prison rooms in movies that look more welcoming than this dump. I felt very unsafe at this place (the rooms had a single old, weak lock). The men's bathrooms had a double shared shower, if you're in the mood for dating I suppose. Ah, no Wi-Fi (surprise, surprise!). And no food was served either.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Barcelona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

Hello!

I spent one weekend in september in YMCA Greater Boston whilst I was in NYC for three weeks. As I've seen in Tripadvisor I thought it was to be a hell, a pigsty or something like that. I was really prepared when I put my feet on the YMCA.

I've arrived on the morning, at 13 more or less. One thing that really impressed me was the big wooden hall. It's really big and tall. As every YMCA, it has a gym and a pool where people from outside can pay a fee to go to gym.
Anyway, I went to the recepction and a 50's woman attended me. She explained me everything and she gave me the key. When I was going up in the elevator I was praying that the room was clean,without any animal guest and the bathroom clean too.
It took me 5minutes to arrive to the room because it's a very big building and I think I was behind it. Well, I opened the door and....the first impression was "oh my god" and then... "it's not bad as they said in tripadvisor". It was a single room. You can see the pictures I've upload. There was a wardrobe with two blankets, the bed, a chair, a desk, a lamp, a towel, soab and a paper cup.
Ok, the rom was quite old, without any charm or sense of design, I agree with that, but after 5minutes I realized it was good. I mean, the room was clean, without any bug or insect. And for two nights I spent there, I could bear that.
Then, I had to check the restrooms. I went outside because the toilets and showers are communal, but only women. I have to say that was very clean. They clean the restrooms every hour and the showers were clean too. There were two showers, but separately with a curtain, and one chair for each shower outside to put clothes or whatever. There were also three sinks with mirrors. In general, I pass the restrooms.
It was a little bit cold at night so I had to put on one blanket, but the bed and linen was very clean and the bed was very comfortable.
If you see in the picture, the curtain in the room is put in a special way, because it was a roller blind and it was broken, so you have to put the curtain like this in order to not lower the curtain.

Another thing I want to say is that in the hall there is a room with computers and you can go there without pay anything and you have Internet connection.
The last thing I want to say is that there's no breakfast but if you bring your key to the dunkin'donuts in front of the building you've got discount. There are a lot of restaurants and a grocery store in front of the building.

If you want more information, just contact me for further details :-D

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Lincoln
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

Rooms are very small and there is no A/C... they give you fans but if you are planning to go in the summer and find it difficult to sleep in a bed of seat...... GO ELSEWHERE

but great location

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

Arrived on a Sunday and the girl at the front desk was slow but super friendly. She pulled out city maps and helped us find our way around. The more you ask the more info you get. We were supposed to get a semi private room that we would share a bathroom with 1 other room ended up in a dorm style room, bunk beds, 2 desks, small closet and 2 working outlets. Linens were provided which was fine, glad i bvought a second pillow though. Window had miniblinds and was able to be opened with no screen. We opened it due to how warm it was. very comfortable both nights. The bathroom urinals were out of order but there were 3 stalls so it was fine. showers there was 1 private shower and a double. first morning my friend couldnt get the single to work right so he joined me in the double, no big deal. trick to the showers is to turn the handle all the way around! That is when you will find the hot water. We felt very safe and secure! Thanks GB YMCA!

• Liked — swimming pool
  • Disliked — no screen in window
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Greater Boston YMCA? Share your experiences!