“Boston” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lenox Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Lenox Hotel to your Saves list
The Lenox Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   61 Exeter Street at Boylston, Boston, MA 02116-2699 (Back Bay)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
15% off Summer Stays!
Ranked #5 of 77 hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Boston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My family and I stayed here 6 days over new year and loved it. Great location, great service, great food,great time. There are two trolley stops very close by which was great as my wife can't walk too far. Right round the corner from Copley square it is in a ideal location. The Irish bar attached to the hotel had good food and fantastic service even on a very busy Hogmanay evening. Thanks.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

2,293 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This hotel has so much going for it, I don’t even know where to start!

The Lenox has luxurious rooms with old-world appointments like crown molding & tasteful wallpaper as well as thoughtful extras that make traveling that much nicer (hair drier, iPod dock, fluffy bathrobe, and an umbrella in every room!). The beds are comfy and the shower has perfect water pressure -- not to mention, I was delighted to find Aveda products in the bathroom. In the mornings, they serve Peet’s coffee in the lobby and gourmet hot chocolate in the evening.

The customer service is the best I’ve ever encountered: from the bell men to the front desk to the concierge. Everyone who works there is super professional and will go above and beyond to make you feel welcome. The staff comes in and turns down your bed every night, including delicious chocolate from a local company called Unreal (their tag line is: “Great tasting candy with none of the junk.”).

Location-wise, I loved the fact I could walk to the mall as well as some great local restaurants. Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts are within a block which was handy in the morning.

This hotel was easily one of the best I’ve ever stayed. I highly recommend you stay here next time you’re in Boston!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Fantastic location, outgoing/welcoming staff, vintage charm & hot bar scene....what more could you ask for when visiting Boston's Back Bay? I love this vibrant part of the city, especially weekends. We live in a nearby suburb, but every once in awhile we stay in the city to experience the downtown scene. Of course, even better in spring, summer & fall!!!

We had a hypo allergenic room, which was great. Only thing I might change is that pillows were a bit high for my comfort level, which is the reason I didn't give comfort level the highest rating. I did not ask if there were alternative options though. The room is old, but charming & clean! Size is large for such an old hotel. Love it!!!! Will choose again!!!!

Room Tip: We liked 11th & top floor. There is construction going on next door during the week, so ask for...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brookline, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

The service at this hotel is fantastic... The combination of location, price and service make The Lenox Hotel a true gem. My wife and I have had the luxury to stay at many high-end hotels and The Lenox stands out... specifically for the service. Pete at the entrance immediately makes you feel special and ensures your first impressions of the hotel are first class. There are far too many instances of superior service to list or explain. We rarely stay at the same hotel more than once so we can experience other places. The last two times in Boston, we stayed at The Lenox... That says something for this hotel!

• Stayed January 2013
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

OK... so I thought I had to return my Enterprise car rental to the airport but Kevin (super sweet doorman) said he'd take care of it and get them to come pick it up and at no extra charge ! He managed the whole thing - I got to go to my room and unpack / relax. Then Nate - at the front desk - is also super helpful. What great staff.

Room 320: Smallish single Queen room but beautiful and completely functional.

The hotel is at a great location for anything you might like to do in Boston. I'm going to Turner's to get the best clam chowder in the world.

Room Tip: High floors have great views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at the Lenox for three nights in early January while attending a conference The Lenox's location is excellent: convenient to the Hynes Convention Center, shopping on Newbury St., great restaurants, and the Prudential Center mall. There's an entrance to the Mass Turnpike practically around the corner, which is very convenient for those arriving by car and trying to avoid crawling through lots of city traffic. As most reviewers have noted, the staff is cordial and eager to help. One morning I forgot to remove the Do Not Disturb sign from my door and returned after 9 PM to discover the room had not been serviced. A note had been placed under the door stating that housekeeping had respected my wishes not to be disturbed but that I could phone for service if desired. No sooner had I hung up the phone than two housekeepers showed up to make the bed, clean the bathroom, change the towels, etc. I greatly appreciated this; in some hotels no housekeeping service is available after 5 PM.

The lobby of the Lenox is warm and inviting, with a roaring fireplace and aromatherapy candles infusing the space with a soothing aroma. My room was a standard double. On the positive side, it was relatively spacious; had a good-sized desk; and offered excellent lighting (a rarity in many hotels), including good tableside lamps and a small overhead chandelier. The mini-fridge was handy for beverages and snacks that guests purchase outside the hotel; none are provided, although bottled water is complimentary (thank you!). On the down side, the bathroom was a bit tight on space and the furnishings in the bedroom showed considerable wear and tear--scuffed furniture, slightly worn carpets, chipped paint. My voice mail was out of order, as I discovered, although the staff left a note under my door to inform me of the name (but no phone number) of the person who had been trying to reach me to leave a message. Another disappointment was the lack of an in-room coffeemaker. At the front desk they explained that this was related to the historic quality of the building (maybe the electric circuitry isn't equipped for this?). Free coffee and tea are provided in the lobby every morning but that's not much help if you're hoping to stay up late and work and were hoping to brew a cup of something caffeinated to help you stay alert. Note that some additional soundproofing between floors might be desirable since at times the footsteps of people in the room one floor above were audible.

I ate dinner twice at City Table restaurant in the hotel and would highly recommend this option. The first night (a Thursday) was quiet and I had very personalized attention from my waitress. The second night (a Saturday) was a mob scene, but in a convivial way. Service was still attentive despite the crush and, when the bar ran out of martini glasses, my waitress volunteered to bring my cocktail in an old-fashioned glass and comped the drink on my bill. The food was well prepared and there were many options: heavy or light dining; many entrees (including one vegetarian choice), etc.

Overall, the Lenox is a calm and inviting hotel that falls slightly short of 5 stars because of the need to refresh the furnishings in guest rooms but still manages to please with its efficient staff.

Room Tip: Rooms located away from the elevator seem very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Nashua, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at the Lenox last weekend with my family of four. We were made to feel more at home than catered to. While getting us settled in the staff was asking about our children and our plans in Boston. Within an hour a gift basket with personal notes to our two boys arrived wishing them a fun time in Boston. Everything about the Lenox has a classic charm.. Nothing is over the top. The lobby’s bar “City Bar” has a really great feel and it’s clear that it’s popular with non-guests too. With so many options, we don’t normally eat breakfast in the hotel, but I’m glad my kids dragged me down in the morning. The restaurant “City Table” had amazing French toast with sautéed bananas. Even as we were checking out, the door man got hot cocoas for my sons as they sat by the fireplace. To sum up, the Lenox is simple elegance in Boston.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Lenox Hotel? Share your experiences!