“In a Word: Fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lenox Hotel

You added Lenox Hotel to your Saves list
Lenox Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   61 Exeter Street at Boylston, Boston, MA 02116-2699 (Back Bay)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #5 of 77 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Angeles, California
“In a Word: Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This hotel has so much going for it, I don’t even know where to start!

The Lenox has luxurious rooms with old-world appointments like crown molding & tasteful wallpaper as well as thoughtful extras that make traveling that much nicer (hair drier, iPod dock, fluffy bathrobe, and an umbrella in every room!). The beds are comfy and the shower has perfect water pressure -- not to mention, I was delighted to find Aveda products in the bathroom. In the mornings, they serve Peet’s coffee in the lobby and gourmet hot chocolate in the evening.

The customer service is the best I’ve ever encountered: from the bell men to the front desk to the concierge. Everyone who works there is super professional and will go above and beyond to make you feel welcome. The staff comes in and turns down your bed every night, including delicious chocolate from a local company called Unreal (their tag line is: “Great tasting candy with none of the junk.”).

Location-wise, I loved the fact I could walk to the mall as well as some great local restaurants. Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts are within a block which was handy in the morning.

This hotel was easily one of the best I’ve ever stayed. I highly recommend you stay here next time you’re in Boston!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Fantastic location, outgoing/welcoming staff, vintage charm & hot bar scene....what more could you ask for when visiting Boston's Back Bay? I love this vibrant part of the city, especially weekends. We live in a nearby suburb, but every once in awhile we stay in the city to experience the downtown scene. Of course, even better in spring, summer & fall!!!

We had a hypo allergenic room, which was great. Only thing I might change is that pillows were a bit high for my comfort level, which is the reason I didn't give comfort level the highest rating. I did not ask if there were alternative options though. The room is old, but charming & clean! Size is large for such an old hotel. Love it!!!! Will choose again!!!!

Room Tip: We liked 11th & top floor. There is construction going on next door during the week, so ask for...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brookline, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

The service at this hotel is fantastic... The combination of location, price and service make The Lenox Hotel a true gem. My wife and I have had the luxury to stay at many high-end hotels and The Lenox stands out... specifically for the service. Pete at the entrance immediately makes you feel special and ensures your first impressions of the hotel are first class. There are far too many instances of superior service to list or explain. We rarely stay at the same hotel more than once so we can experience other places. The last two times in Boston, we stayed at The Lenox... That says something for this hotel!

• Stayed January 2013
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

OK... so I thought I had to return my Enterprise car rental to the airport but Kevin (super sweet doorman) said he'd take care of it and get them to come pick it up and at no extra charge ! He managed the whole thing - I got to go to my room and unpack / relax. Then Nate - at the front desk - is also super helpful. What great staff.

Room 320: Smallish single Queen room but beautiful and completely functional.

The hotel is at a great location for anything you might like to do in Boston. I'm going to Turner's to get the best clam chowder in the world.

Room Tip: High floors have great views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at the Lenox for three nights in early January while attending a conference The Lenox's location is excellent: convenient to the Hynes Convention Center, shopping on Newbury St., great restaurants, and the Prudential Center mall. There's an entrance to the Mass Turnpike practically around the corner, which is very convenient for those arriving by car and trying to avoid crawling through lots of city traffic. As most reviewers have noted, the staff is cordial and eager to help. One morning I forgot to remove the Do Not Disturb sign from my door and returned after 9 PM to discover the room had not been serviced. A note had been placed under the door stating that housekeeping had respected my wishes not to be disturbed but that I could phone for service if desired. No sooner had I hung up the phone than two housekeepers showed up to make the bed, clean the bathroom, change the towels, etc. I greatly appreciated this; in some hotels no housekeeping service is available after 5 PM.

The lobby of the Lenox is warm and inviting, with a roaring fireplace and aromatherapy candles infusing the space with a soothing aroma. My room was a standard double. On the positive side, it was relatively spacious; had a good-sized desk; and offered excellent lighting (a rarity in many hotels), including good tableside lamps and a small overhead chandelier. The mini-fridge was handy for beverages and snacks that guests purchase outside the hotel; none are provided, although bottled water is complimentary (thank you!). On the down side, the bathroom was a bit tight on space and the furnishings in the bedroom showed considerable wear and tear--scuffed furniture, slightly worn carpets, chipped paint. My voice mail was out of order, as I discovered, although the staff left a note under my door to inform me of the name (but no phone number) of the person who had been trying to reach me to leave a message. Another disappointment was the lack of an in-room coffeemaker. At the front desk they explained that this was related to the historic quality of the building (maybe the electric circuitry isn't equipped for this?). Free coffee and tea are provided in the lobby every morning but that's not much help if you're hoping to stay up late and work and were hoping to brew a cup of something caffeinated to help you stay alert. Note that some additional soundproofing between floors might be desirable since at times the footsteps of people in the room one floor above were audible.

I ate dinner twice at City Table restaurant in the hotel and would highly recommend this option. The first night (a Thursday) was quiet and I had very personalized attention from my waitress. The second night (a Saturday) was a mob scene, but in a convivial way. Service was still attentive despite the crush and, when the bar ran out of martini glasses, my waitress volunteered to bring my cocktail in an old-fashioned glass and comped the drink on my bill. The food was well prepared and there were many options: heavy or light dining; many entrees (including one vegetarian choice), etc.

Overall, the Lenox is a calm and inviting hotel that falls slightly short of 5 stars because of the need to refresh the furnishings in guest rooms but still manages to please with its efficient staff.

Room Tip: Rooms located away from the elevator seem very quiet.
Nashua, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at the Lenox last weekend with my family of four. We were made to feel more at home than catered to. While getting us settled in the staff was asking about our children and our plans in Boston. Within an hour a gift basket with personal notes to our two boys arrived wishing them a fun time in Boston. Everything about the Lenox has a classic charm.. Nothing is over the top. The lobby’s bar “City Bar” has a really great feel and it’s clear that it’s popular with non-guests too. With so many options, we don’t normally eat breakfast in the hotel, but I’m glad my kids dragged me down in the morning. The restaurant “City Table” had amazing French toast with sautéed bananas. Even as we were checking out, the door man got hot cocoas for my sons as they sat by the fireplace. To sum up, the Lenox is simple elegance in Boston.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I really wanted to like this hotel, I truly did. I went out of my way to stay here, as I travel to Boston frequently and typically stay in one of the other Back Bay hotels, and had always been curious about such a highly rated boutique hotel. Perhaps if I had spoken up, it would have been better, but even then the owner/manager should be moderately ashamed of the room I was in, that left me with the perception that it was thrown together minutes before I arrived, as if I was a unexpected, moderately unwanted house guest for the night.

Overall I'd say it was ok, but not worth a premium and I definitely don't understand how it is the #5 hotel on trip advisor.

Check in: Check in and check out went fine. Everyone I talked to was very nice. And I did not have any problems with check in or check out. I did not spend a lot of time talking to anyone as I know the area. I will say that the doorman did not offer me any help getting up the stairs with my bags.

Room: The room left a lot to be desired. I was in room 301, which is the 1st floor of rooms and I was across from the elevator on Boylston Street. The room seriously could have been a utility closet that was turned into a guest room. It was just so banged up. When I walked in, there were decorative pillows on the floor (presumably from turn down service) and a tangy musty odor. There was a chair kind of shoved over in the corner as well. I looked up and saw a crooked chandalier hanging. The closet was about the same size as the room, so maybe they could start offering this space as a suite. All of the furniture was at the far end of the room and consisted of what looked like discards from other areas of the hotel. It was all pretty banged up and had some paint splatters on it. The bed itsef was not overly inviting or looking comfortable. There was a nice flat screen tv that had HD channels and that was a nice surprise as I find many hotels have nice tvs, but not so great reception. There was a mini fridge tucked in next to the tv.

Seriously though, it appeared as though the hotel walked around flea markets and tag sales to get the furniture. One that really annoyed me was the decor, there were two very off center and ill suited pictures hanging on the wall. They were of Boston scenes, but they were small and just did not fit it, as if someone had run in and slapped them up there right before I walked through the door. Needless to say this was just not overly welcoming.

The linens were typical overbleached hotel linens. Pillows were of a good size so that was nice. The door did not fit into the doorway well and there was a large crack on one side that I covered with one of those pillows from the floor to block the steady stream of light flowing through.

The location of my room kind of sucked. I heard the #9 and #39 buses coming and going all night and early in the morning so I got a pretty crummy night sleep.

Bathroom: The bathroom was relatively nice. Well appointed (aside from a pretty banged up sink area) and the toiletries was nice (Aveda). I was surprised by the quality of the hair dryer that was available. Towels were plentiful, and water pressure was good. It was well lit. My only complaint was in the morning when I was packing up and leaving, I looked up at the door frame for some reason and a hair that was stuck up hair caught my eye, yeah that kind of hair. Blech.

All in all, I should have said something to the staff and asked for a different room, but I had gotten in late and was exhausted from my travels and wanted to just go to sleep. I know the area and should have immediately run back downstairs to ask for a room off of Boylston Street. So the noise issue probably could have been easily dealt with. In all honesty though, I don't really think anyone should be staying in that room until they cleanup or repair the furniture and set the furniture up properly.

My summary would be that I cannot say that I would actually recommend this hotel to anyone and if all the rooms are at all like what I experienced, I sincerely have no idea what other reviewers are thinking because this was about as good as a roadside inn on a lonely highway.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor away from the elevator and off of Boylston St.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Lenox Hotel? Share your experiences!