“It's all about balance” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden

You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   280 Friend Street, Boston, MA 02114 (Formerly The Hotel at Boston Garden)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #64 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Chicago, Illinois
“It's all about balance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

There is an interesting array of reviews on this hotel. My advice is to know what's important to you and remember that it's all about balance. For this particular trip here's what was important to me: 1) Distance to TD Garden and 2) Price. That's about it. I was lucky enough to be in town to watch the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup, actually, the most important part of the trip well beyond what my hotel was like. However with those two hotel criteria met, I'd say that the rest of the experience was an added bonus. Every person I interacted with at this hotel was very helpful and courteous. I can recall at least 5 people who were very pleasant. I was given a Stanley Cup cookie upon arrival, and a choice of two items from a snack basket being a part of Holiday Inn's guest program. Another bonus was the free wifi, given I got to town without a ticket. Fast speed as well. Then, needing to print my ticket, I appreciated the business center I used for free. My room was on the fifth floor, off of the street. It was very quiet, and spacious. Microwave, fridge included. As I mentioned, it is across the street from the Garden, so convenient. Besides that, there is a CVS less than a block, right next to the train station. Super easy to the airport ($25 cab, vs. $2.50 train). Lots of bars a block away. Now, as some others have commented...are the hallways a bit rundown? Perhaps. Elevator slow? Yep. A little overpriced because of the game? Yep. Did it cause great harm? Nope. After grabbing some free breakfast and getting detailed advice on the train, I was on my way and happy as a clam. Thanks for a nice stay.

Room Tip: I had 507. Strange high up windows but quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
GMJamieGleason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Julie B,
Thank you for your detailed feedback and we are happy to hear your stay went well. We pride ourselves on providing great service for the guest, so to hear that everyone was helpful and courteous was fantastic. We hope to see you again when you travels bring you to Boston.
Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and for being a rewards member with Holiday Inn.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This hotel looks to have received a fresh coat of paint, but beyond that, there's little value to be found. I stayed in this hotel for two nights during a business trip (I had booked 3 nights). To begin, the elevator was horribly, painfully slow.Next, the door to my room didn't open or close properly due to what seemed to be a case of warped wood and/or uneven flooring. The bathtub had deep scratch marks relieving a brownish/orange rust. The tub and toilet also had remnants of hair. The room was equipt with a desk; however, there were no power outlets near the desk. I spent both nights attempting to use my laptop in bed (near a power outlet). To make matters worse, the room also lacked adequate lighting.

During June of 2013, Boston was unseasonably cool; the first night of my stay, my room was quite cold. I called the front desk to ask why I could not warm my room (although the thermostat was turned up to 80 degrees). I was informed that the hotel's system had been switched to cooling mode and there was no option for heat. During my second night, the room was so cold, I awoke to find I had pulled the thin blanket over my head in attempt to stay warm.

On the last night of my stay, a neighboring room had their TV volume turned up so loud that I could clearly hear the broadcast in my room. It took two calls and having to raise my voice with the front desk to prompt the hotel to take any action. I do not believe the hotel staff made any attempt on the first call to investigate the issue- on the second call, the desk employee stated that he heard no noise at my room, however, the TV was so loud that it could be clearly heard from the elevator.

In addition to the basic issues with the room and the management's inaction regarding inappropriate noise by the hotel's guest, the street noise awoke me several times during the night- police sires, drunk people, and general disruptions. Game night, during the second night of my stay, the street noise was intolerable. Offering earplugs to "fix" this issue, would have been a band-aid and an insult.

After the second night (and very little sleep), I booked a room at a different hotel, packed up, and left.

Room Tip: Avoid street facing room. Stay on a low floor as to avoid use of the elevator.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear wikedloki,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. It is most disappointing to hear of your overall dissatisfaction and we regret we failed to deliver a satisfactory experience on this occasion. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect. I have taken note of your valuable comments and have shared these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvement to this identified weakness.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I could sit and write a book about this stay, I will sum it up by hitting the highlights. Here is the email I sent to Priority Club Platimum Customer Relations. I have been Platinum with Holiday Inn for many years.

Hotel itself, old, and run down, loby looks decent, but rooms are not. Outlets for instance, so old that they have stuff growing in and around them, they are so worn out that I could nto get my stuff to stay plugged in unless I put something under it to hold it from falling out. AC looks like it has been used as a punching bag, and sounded like someone was in porecess of punching it. Not worth the $240 I paid, maybe for this location worth around $120 at the highest.

Not normally one to complain, has been several years since I
>had an issue worth taking this time to complain to Holiday Inn. I made
>2 reservations for the same night, myself and co worker. We checked in
>and explained that we will each pay for 1 room and 1 valet. When I
>checked out the desk clerk told me that I did not have any reservation
>under my name so he could not furnish me a bill, even thou the 2
>reservations were originally under my name. He then went on to state
>that the reservations had been changed to my co workers name and his
>Priority Club account, but ALL THE CHARGES were to stay under my credit
>card. Boy that is a good deal for me, when i stated my dissatisfaction
>with this, he stated there was nothing he could do about it, he stated
>that I might have done something wrong when I made the reservations or
>checked in. After expressing that I will not pay for both rooms and
>both valets, he was able to get the charges correct, or at least he
>stated it should be, I am not very confident at this point. He then
>stated that I was out of luck on my points, again, not very happy. The
>hotel itself was sub-par at best for the price I paid, only reason I
>stayed there was for my loyalty, now at the end I dont even get that.
>When I called Customer Relations, I asked if I could assure that I
>received a survey for this stay, I clearly expressed I was disatisfied,
>the person stated no, that surveys are generated by the hotel, I went
>on to state that I planned on sharing this experience on my Corporate
>Blog, Trip Advisor, Face Book, Twitter and anywhere else I can, she
>basically told me to have a nice day and call ended. Needless to say,
>after being a Platinum memeber with your company for as long as I have
>been, I am beside myself with anger right now. I will do as I planned
>and blast my experience with this hotel and with customer relations to
>all I can. At this point I will also take a nice break from Holiday Inn
>and spend some time and money with Marriott. Stayed there a few nights
>this year, because Holiday Inn was not available. They were pleasant
>stays. If my credit card charges are not corrected, I will file a
>complaint with American Express and dispute the charges. As an Account
>Exectuitve myself, I understand what customer relations and customer
>service means, your staff member had the opportunity to turn this around when she heard my anger and disastifaction, she opted not to. Shame on her and your company for that.

Room Tip: You want a good room here, simple do pay for one.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear ggoobx4,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I am sorry you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We are 1 day home and our legs are all bit up.. STAY AWAY!!!! Afraid to take our bags in the house. We wanted to stay for the Garden location but we would have been better off with taking a cab. The location is key.. the rooms are old and bare. I would deal with that, but not the bugs. GROSS

Room Tip: dont bother
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
GMJamieGleason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
I read your comment and would need more information to better assist. I can honestly say we have NEVER had a complaint of this nature and ALL our rooms are checked frequently by professionals. Please contact me to provide more information. Thank you. gm@hiexboston.com
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed here for the Boston Strong concert at TD Garden- the hotel is literally just across the street from the arena. And the subway station (North Station) is located inside the arena as well. From Logan airport to North Station is about a 30-40min commute ($11 gets you an all day subway and bus pass) by subway, taxi from hotel back to the airport was about $17 with tip and took about 10min at 6am in the morning.

There are of course plenty of restaurants right around the hotel, but it is only a 10-15min walk to the North End area which is a Little Italy. Same area has the Paul Revere statue.

Room included free WiFi and breakfast (it didn't start until 7:30 so I didn't get to try it). Room had a small fridge and a microwave so you could easily do leftovers if you wanted. Front desk staff was friendly and quick at check in, helpful with maps and answering questions.

Room was clean and comfortable- only problem I had was AC would make a loud knocking noise shortly after starting up- there was a piece of wood on it that would rattle. After hitting it a few times that problem went away.

I would recommend a stay here to anyone and if I am ever going back to the Garden will be sure to book here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your recent feedback "Whereisdave" and for being our guest for the Boston Strong Concert. We really appreciated the detailed posting of the surrounding area and what there is to do. This will help future guests traveling understand what there is in our immediate area. We are happy that you received friendly service and that the staff treated you well. I do however apologize for the knocking noise in your AC unit. I wish we had known, so we could have repaired it for you.
Thank you again and we hope to see you in the future. Warm Regards
Leominster, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Ok, so its Boston and is a little pricey sometimes, but when you stay at this hotel, you will be dealing with perhaps some of the nicest staff I have dealt with in the past.
The hotel is close to EVERYTHING. Trust me. Everything, Great place to go out into the town, party hard then come stay there before going home in the morning.
They also serve free breakfast. Amazing food too. I guess they don't have to, but they do. Its good to wake up in the morning and wake up to hot food to get you over a hangover.

Great, little place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear joelgomez,
Thank you for your recent comments and feedback regarding your stay with us in May. I shared your comment about the staff..."some of the nicest staff I have dealt with in the past." and they were thrilled! Thank you very much as service and guest satisfaction is our number one priority! We were also glad to hear that the location worked out for you and that you enjoyed our complimentary Hot Breakfast. Please come back and see us again soon. Thank you!
Adams, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The location is perfect for anything at the Garden. We often stay here even if we have things in other parts of the city. The T is right there & there are numerous bars & resturants that we like in the area. We enjoy the area even if nothing else is going on. The staff at this hotel is A-1. The friendliest we have ever encountered. The rooms are always clean.
Rooms are mostly quiet at night. Only noisy when the garbage is being picked up which seems to be Saturday early AM. The bathrooms are very small which is our only complaint. Also if there is a lot going on in the area , parking the car to check in can be a hassle. We were checking in while the Bruins were in a playoff game & the Sox were playing. The area was full of people & cars. Had to double park & stay with the car while husband went in to check in. Really have to use the vallet parking which is an extra cost.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Girlyouk and thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay with us! We are very pleased to hear that the location was perfect and that our staff was the "Friendliest staff ever"! We really appreciate your comments and will share with the entire staff and ownership. We are glad to hear you often stay with us and thank you for being a loyal guest. Although you mentioned the rooms are always clean we are sorry to hear that you felt the bathroom was small. On your next visit please ask for a room with a larger bathroom as some of our room layouts differ.
Thank you again and please say hello on your next visit.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston Garden? Share your experiences!