“Lovely Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 77 Hotels in Boston
San Francisco, California, United States
“Lovely Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

This hotel is in an excellent location and very well maintained. Rooms are comfortable and I love the bathroom. Good products in the bathroom and already have items that you may have forgotten, I.e. Toothpaste and mouthwash. The service level is excellent. The staff was friendly and helpful. The TV had every channel including premium channels. I some of the best nights sleep. Highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
MOBostonResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Boston, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Mandarin Oriental, Boston would like to thank you for your kind review. We are delighted that you were able to pamper yourself with our Shanghai Tang amenities, while enjoying a restful night’s sleep in the comfort of your guestroom. We are also pleased that you found our colleagues to be friendly and helpful. Thank you again for the high recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

If you want to stay at the best hotel in Boston you have two choices. One is the the Liberty which is more noisy and "party style". And Mandarin which is one of the most relaxing hotels I'v ever stayed in. Also its location on Boylston street is the best. Mandarin, world wide, never disappoint me. We have stayed twice here (just before we moved to Boston permanently) and the experience was wonderful in any possible way. The spa is the best in New England, with tropic showers and great amenities. The rooms, decorated in eastern style are super comfort, and beautiful, its the top of the luxury scale and it is, above everything else, relaxing.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear ron I,
Mandarin Oriental, Boston is honored to be top of your luxury scale and one of your favorite hotels in the city. We are delighted that you had a relaxing and comfortable experience with us and enjoyed our convenient location on Boylston Street in Back Bay. We are also pleased that you were able to experience the tropical showers and luxury amenities in our award-winning spa. Thank you for sharing your kind feedback and we hope to see you again soon for your third visit.
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

LOCATION

The hotel is located next to the Prudential Center, a fantastic shopping destination in Boston. The center’s unique layout blends business, restaurants and stores. This means that a variety of great dining and shopping options are steps away from the hotel’s door.

ROOMS and BEYOND

The Mandarin Executive Rooms have niceties not usually found in hotel rooms. For example, the room size is a bit larger than average at about 660 square feet, and has a roomy closet with a dressing bench. The working space is well stocked with writing supplies, including bookmarks. Bath amenities are spa-quality Red Flower brand and smell heavenly. The linens are Frette. If you love them (you’d be crazy not to), there is a Frette shop just off the lobby. Bear in mind, though, that the price of Frette echoes its quality. Bostonian Frank Nicholson’s interior design firm created a city escape in this hotel with a sophisticated palette. You’ll notice just a hint of Asian influence and very subtle Art Deco design details. It all feels brand new.

The room view is called “residential” on the website, which I don’t believe does it justice. This part of Boston is charming in every way. The view of row houses and the beyond cityscape was captivating.

There are two massive suites at the Mandarin Oriental Boston, the Oriental Suite and the Dynasty Suite. David and I were given a tour of the 2,600 square-foot one-bedroom Dynasty Suite during our stay. The entire hotel is luxurious, but the suites are opulent. The Dynasty has a design touch I rarely see even in the best hotels in the world, silk wall coverings. The wood-paneled study, dining table for 8 and gas fireplace tell me that this space could be a home away from home for a small family (the room next door can be connected for those traveling with children) or an incredible place to hold a small meeting.

THE SPA at MANDARIN ORIENTAL BOSTON

My stay was complete after a trip to the spa. I opted for a facial, but the sum of my visit was much more than one treatment. Guests of the spa are encouraged to arrive 45 minutes early for a more immersive experience. Here, you must leave the world behind and step into a new one. To symbolize this transition, I was asked to remove my shoes in the spa’s beautiful entrance and replace them with the provided slippers. After a hot cup of tea, I was taken to the lockers and then back to my incredible treatment room.

My therapist, Elisha, brought me more tea to warm me from the inside and then I settled into the heated bed, which was elevated at my knees and shoulders to cradle me perfectly. After a brief consultation, she decided to change the facial from the one I reserved to another (the Aromatherapy Associates Facial) to suit my needs. My face was cleaned and pampered and my arms, neck, shoulders and scalp were gently soothed to the soft music. Pressure point therapy was integrated at certain points. I have never felt so relaxed and had to fight off sleep. I’m quite sure I nodded off for a few minutes, actually. When I asked Elisha how often her clients can’t help but take a nap, she said with a smile, “Always.” The treatment ended with the ringing of Tibetan Tingsha cymbals. Fascinated by the idea of cleansing a room with sound, I bought some on the way out as a gift for my husband.

Because the spa is the only Forbes Five-Star spa in the state, I had high expectations. It met each one and exceeded them all. Elisha is hands-down the best massage therapist in practice. You must try this experience.

MY RECOMMENDATION

I love this hotel and its ethereal spa. There isn't a better place to stay in Boston.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Lori M,
Thank you so much for your amazingly kind review. Mandarin Oriental, Boston is ecstatic that we were able to provide you with a 6-star experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed our convenient location close to shopping and dining on Newbury Street, our “roomy” guestrooms, the work space supplies, the Frette linens and our Shanghai Tang bath amenities. We are so pleased that Elisha was able to provide you with a relaxing spa experience and that our award-winning spa exceeded your expectations. We are so glad you loved the hotel and the ethereal spa and we look forward to your next visit.
Berlin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Came here for two days of business meetings. Restaurant and bar currently undergoing renovation. Breakfast served in lobby plus room service only options but excellent food. Top notch spa with huge breadth of treatments. Very nice walking neighborhood around with lots of trendy dining and shopping options on Newbury St.. Would have rated higher with restaurant open.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear BusyBerliner,
Thank you for selecting Mandarin Oriental, Boston for your recent business trip. We are delighted that you enjoyed our award-winning spa, our convenient Back Bay location - steps from Newbury Street and our Lobby Lounge and In-Room Dining. We hope you will be able to visit with us again once our highly anticipated restaurant, Bar Boulud, Boston, opens in September.
Lyndhurst, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Recently visited Boston and based on a thorough search on Tripadvisor decided to stay at Mandarin Oriental. One of the best travel decisions I have made. The hotel is elegant in every way. Right from the moment you enter the wonderful lobby, you feel happy about your decision. The front desk staff is great and very helpful.I interacted with Monika and Eugenia and both were excellent.

I stayed on 8th floor in the Mandarin Back Bay Room with King Bed and everything was picture perfect. From the furniture, to the work area, to the seating area, to the walk-in closet and finally top of the class restroom. The room has a lot of space in general in addition to the numerous storage cabinets. The in-room dining is one of the best with a great menu and an awesome drinks selection. I was also able to customize some dishes to my liking thanks to Natalie and Jackie.

I read so many great reviews about the Spa at Mandarin Oriental and all of them were absolutely right. The spa experience is one of a kind at this hotel. Thanks to Kenny for the great work. Access to the shops at Prudential center from the 4th floor of the hotel just adds to the ease and comfort of staying at this hotel. And if that's not enough, the numerous restaurants, bars and coffee shops in walking distance help. This was my first stay at Mandarin hotel and I think I found my new favorite.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
MOBostonResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Boston, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
On behalf of the entire team at Mandarin Oriental, Boston, we are honored to be considered your new favorite Boston hotel, and that staying with us was one of the best travel decisions you have ever made. We are delighted that our colleagues were able to provide a superior standard of service and that you enjoyed our specious guestrooms, our award-winning spa and our convenient location attached to the Prudential Center. We appreciate your review and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Very good location, near shopping etc. good service esp. the concierge. But you have to pay for everything including wifi. That's ok if you are on company expenses, however, if not, can empty out your wallet pretty quickly. Top tip - the complementary water is revolting - best to get your own !!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Mandarin Oriental, Boston appreciates you taking the time to share your comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed our convenient Back Bay location on Boylston Street and the service that our concierge team was able to provide. Mandarin Oriental, Boston does provide our guests with some of the fastest Internet service in the city at speeds of 1Gbps. We are disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy the complimentary water but we do appreciate your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

A terrific experience - not to be missed! You have never expereinced luxury until you stay at the Mandarin Boston. Pricey but worth it!! The staff truly cares about each guest. They are a great combination of professionalism AND not pretentious.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

On behalf of the entire team at Mandarin Oriental, Boston, we truly appreciate your kind words and your feedback. We are delighted that you had a terrific experience and that our colleagues were professional, caring and made you feel comfortable and at home. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Boston? Share your experiences!