“Awesome!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 77 hotels in Boston
Montréal
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

When staying for a night with my boyfriend, we had an awesome experience. Here, everything is in the details, from the delicious tea served upon arrival (great on a freezing day) to the little elements included with the room.

Although this hotel is on the pricier side, I would definitely recommend it for a romantic getaway or some awesome family time in Boston. We were so comfy, we didn't want to leave the room to brave the cold!

One thing we were surprised to find out on the website is that Wi-Fi is not included. Considering everything else is and that it's an upscale hotel ,I would have expected it to be included in the price!

Have a nice visit!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MOBostonResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Boston, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear JenniferDD,

We appreciate you taking a moment to post about your recent experience at Mandarin Oriental, Boston. We were delighted to read that your stay was enjoyable and hope to welcome you back to Boston soon.

283 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is I a great location close to a lot of nice restaurants and shops. It is inside the Prudential business complex that is home to a lot of stores from almost every brand you could think of. The Hotel is nice and the service is top notch in every way. You get a smile and great service from the moment you park in the hotel to the Monet you take off going home. Check in was very fast and amicable. My room had a street view and was well appointed, one thing I did not understood is why they gave me a handicapped room, I did not complaint but I think they should save those rooms to people that really need them. I had two minor maintenance issues but were resolved as fast as I talked to the front desk. We order room service two times and it was very good and tasty. If you are thinking about a nice stay in a prime location in a prime hotel in Boston this is where you have to stay.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MOBostonResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Boston, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Sirius_blk,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write about your family’s stay at Mandarin Oriental, Boston. We are happy to hear that your experience was delightful overall and the maintenance issues you encountered were promptly resolved. We have noted the room preference for your future visits. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Boston.

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Love the Mandarin Oriental Boston! Truly a luxury hotel. My husband booked a night here the day he proposed and they made us feel special from the moment we arrived. The manager came out and introduced himself and gave us his card when we checked in, and a special welcome tea and chocolate covered strawberries were sent to our room shortly after we arrived. The rooms are new and nice, bed is very comfortable and you definitely feel pampered during your stay! The spa is also a must-see, I got some spa treatments there the week before my wedding and had another wonderful experience - beautiful facilities and a very friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear MandyN811,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write about your stay with us last spring. We are especially pleased to hear that your experience was memorable and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We have stayed at all the 5 Stars in Boston and felt we should give the Mandarin a try. Wow! Smiles, Greetings, Pleasant People all day, a hotel with a great feeling to it. The beds were amazingly comfortable. The food was awesome in the restaurant as was room service for breakfast. The location on Boylston next to the mall and a block from Newbury are all positives.
The other 5 Stars (and 4) in Boston are good, one is getting very tired and one is a touch to far for walking. The Mandarin is a breath of fresh air. Give this property a try and you wont be disappointed. I guarantee it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear MichiganJim2009,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at Mandarin Oriental, Boston. It was a pleasure to read your remarks. We hope to welcome you and your family back to Boston again soon.

Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

First, the good stuff. This is one of the nicer luxury hotels in Boston. Sure, the Fairmont and the Colonnade are nice, but when I stayed in both of those hotels they showed their age. "Character" is over-rated when it comes to hotels. The MO is shiny and new and very comfortable.I was there for a conference and got a discounted rate, but I think that the hotel is worth the price--especially for the room I got. It is attached to the Prudential Center (a giant shopping mall) and the Hynes convention center. So, when the weather is -12 with windchill (as it was this week) you don't have to step outside. I had a very spacious room with a king bed, couch, table and desk, overlooking the street. The views are nothing to write home about, but it was not really an issue for me. The bathroom was very large with a separate toilet/shower/tub and very large bathroom counter. I couldn't ask for more, except for a damn place to hang the hand towel. Seriously, they thought of everything except for where to hang the hand towel (I know, I'm picky). The minibar was nicely stocked. Two thumbs up for having a Starbucks Espresso Double shot and a split of Veuve Cliquot in the minibar. There was also a nice array of snacks and the best part was that there was complimentary water that you could get from Housekeeping. I drink a lot of water, so it was nice to not have to pay every time I was thirsty. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets are Frette. Not the best Frette sheets, but still not itchy like crappy hotel sheets. The toiletries are really nice and I particularly liked the bath salts. The highlight of my stay was the room service. I have never encountered such politeness over the phone when ordering room service. The MO room service people have ruined it for all other hotels for ever. Kudos to them. Also, any time I encountered a hotel employee in the hall, they were exceedingly polite.

Now the bad stuff, and it is very minimal. As another reviewer pointed out, it does smell like smoke in the hotel. I'm not sure if it is a non-smoking hotel, and If it isn't it should be, and if it is they should do a better job of asking people not to smoke. The gym is ok, not great. It has about 4 treadmills and some ellipticals and weights, as well as a "yoga room". This gym was clearly an afterthought. I worked out twice and the first time they had some nice cold towels but the second time they were nowhere to be found and the treadmill was not exactly clean. The food is cringe inducingly expensive at the hotel, but tasty. I found that it was best to sign the bill without actually looking at what I was being charged, otherwise it hurt my head. Other than that, my stay was great and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you are there for a convention and/or want to shop, this is an ideal location. This part of Bost...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear pickytexan,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience at Mandarin Oriental, Boston earlier this month. We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed our location and the in-room dining service. We value your remarks regarding our Fitness Center and the hand towels, as we are always seeking ways to improve services for our guests. Additionally, thank you for bringing the smoking smell you experienced to our attention. Mandarin Oriental, Boston is a non-smoking property and, after following up on your comment, the affected areas underwent an extensive cleaning. We look forward to welcoming you back.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The most luxurious hotel I've ever stayed in!!! Frette linens, aromatic soaps, superb service, fabulous location (a block from the iconic Newberry Street). The only features that were remotely less than heavenly: gym facilities a little on the sparse side and lighting a little too dark --I like the option (especially in the winter) of putting on some bright lights. But, really, I've stayed in several five-star hotels and this one is far and away the most wonderful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Barbara532NewYork,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at Mandarin Oriental, Boston. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and future guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to Boston soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is a very good hotel, and broadly serves its purpose as a luxury hotel. However, it seems to lack the x-factor. This is the second time we stayed here, and both times have been satisfactory, but I don't know if it's worth staying here again. There is no one big thing that is wrong with the place, but a few small hiccups add up:

1. When we arrived, they told us they had no record of us ever staying there, despite the fact that last time (September 2011) they had forgotten to load our suitcases into the car before we left. When we got home we discovered they were missing...They did send a driver to bring them back, but the whole situation left a bit of a sour taste.

2. The halls smell like smoke. The rooms seem to be ok, but it doesn't inspire the greatest sense of luxury, or even calm, when you arrive at your floor and are met with an unpleasant smell that seems to be embedded in the carpets and walls.

3. There was a yappy dog in the room next to ours the whole length of our stay. We saw no apparent attempts to resolve this.

4. The fois gras starter at Asana was generally sub par

One good thing that wasn't marred by any of the above was the spa. The service was great and the facilities were peaceful and clean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MOBostonResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Boston, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear eej84,

Thank you for taking a moment to post about your experiences with us at Mandarin Oriental, Boston. We are sorry to hear that your stays did not meet your expectations. We do value the feedback so that we can improve services for our guests. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your remarks further so that we can address the issues you experienced during your stays. We hope that you will reach out to us directly at mobos-socialmedia@mohg.com.

All the best,

General Manager of Mandarin Oriental, Boston

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Boston? Share your experiences!