“Please don't call me madame” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Daily Dining / Spa Credit
Ranked #6 of 77 hotels in Boston
Florida
“Please don't call me madame”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Just because I am staying at your hotel don't call me madame 100 times.... or repeat my name 100 times...other than that and skimpy on the large towels(unless asked) it was very good. The restaurant has a french press coffee that was very good. Love Boston

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

309 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

About a year ago, I had planned a conference for 40 people at the Mandarin in Boston. Everything went well, and Kara Churchman, the events coordinator was superb. After leaving I was sent an online review form, where I provided positive and constructive feedback. I was pleasantly surprised when someone followed up with me to extend the offer of another stay at the Mandarin in Boston at our discounted conference rate. What wonderful customer service!

My husband and I just returned this past weekend to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We were upgraded to a Mandarin Back Bay room with an enormous bath and fabulous views of Back Bay. Also, when we returned to our room after lunch on the first day, a bottle of champagne and a chocolate cake was waiting for us. Instead of hitting First Friday in the South End, we enjoyed our champagne in our Mandarin robes and slippers cuddling on the comfy couch in our room. What a treat!

They only thing I could improve would be the pillows, which look fluffy and supportive, but flatten down to next to nothing. I used two, but it wasn't ideal.

The location of the Mandarin is outstanding. First, it's connected to the Prudential and Copley Malls. We walked everywhere: Fanieul Hall, the North End, MFA, and along the Esplande. The selection of restaurants in the area is outstanding. We ate breakfast at Trident Booksellers on Newbury, and dinners at Forum and Deuxave.

The staff is well versed in customer service and goes out of their way to make you feel special. The rooms are new, huge and well appointed. They even provide a yoga mat. The gym fitness center is well equipped. The onsite spa is truly special.

Stay at the Mandarin. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MOBostonResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Boston, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear MaineMOM2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at Mandarin Oriental, Boston and for highlighting some areas that you particularly enjoyed. We hope to have the pleasure of your company for your next business meeting, the next milestone celebration in your family or for a Boston getaway.

All the best,

Alain Negueloua
General Manager of Mandarin Oriental, Boston
Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I like the MO because it is elegant, understated, great rooms and great service - this experience was no different.

We arrived during Hurricane Sandy and the staff were exemplary. For a start we had accidentally booked the wrong dates but this was quickly rectified and the same room type was found for us as smooth as silk. Our daughter's university visits had been cancelled due to the hurricane but the gentleman at reception took the trouble to find out which unis we had wanted to visit and sent up info packages on each to our room.

Both room and bathroom were spacious with lovely amenities (although I personally am not keen on their blood orange range). Great stay and great staff.

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet choose a room overlooking the garden square. Of course the higher up you...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

The Mandarin is a lovely hotel. The service is amazing. Everyone is helpful and extremely conscientious. We were celebrating two special occasions. I really wanted our celebration to be special and the hotel was amazing. We were upgraded and our room was huge. It was located next to the elevator which I normally do not like, but the room is so well laid out that I did not hear any noise from the elevator. The bathroom was absolutely gorgeous! It might be the best bathroom I have ever encountered. I would definitely stay again.

I scheduled several spa treatments and everyone at the spa was remarkable. All our treatments were excellent and the spa is fantastic. I would definitely go again and would encourage everyone I know to go to the Mandarin Spa. It would be perfect if there was a coed waiting room.

I really think that the only shortcoming is Asana. The food is only okay. For dinner, the presentation was unimpressive and the food was only okay. Though our allergies were listed, they were ignored and I was served a course that included one of the listed ingredients. The service and food at breakfast was sorely lacking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

On arrival we were upgraded to the Dynasty Suite (amazing). We stay in many first class hotels, often in large luxury suites, but this suite was absolutely over the top.

It features a functional office, kitchen, dinning room for 8, living room for 12+, huge bedroom, high tech bathrooms, a dressing room the size of a hotel room, $30K ferrari sound system, fireplace, the list goes on.

As for the hotel itself, the location is great for exploring the city. Asan (sp?) Restaurant on site had a wonderful menu and was a great place to have a late night dinner after a late check-in. All dishes that we tried were skillfully prepared. The restaurant had a buzz for a Saturday night, so no point going elsewhere outside the hotel (we tried, but ended up returning to the hotel for dinner after seeing that this was likely the place to be).

Room service in the morning for breakfast was prompt and tasty. Missed out on the lobster omlette as it was sold out, apparently a hit at the hotel.

If you are considering this hotel for a special occasion, do yourself a favour and book the Dynasty Suite. It is sure to Wow even a seasoned snob!

• Stayed August 2012
Stewartsville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I rate this only based on my experience, since I can honestly say I do not stay in luxury hotels so I cannot compare it to others.

I really enjoyed my stay; most of my travel is for pleasure and I only stayed at this luxury hotel because of a conference my company sent me to, and brought my husband along for the experience. Although I’m sure there are people who expect and enjoy this type of service, this is not something I would pay for, but the higher price is justified based on the level of service and the high quality of the room. The room was spacious, with both a desk and a loveseat. The décor was upscale and well maintained. The bathroom was large with a choice of a waterfall shower or traditional multi pulse showerhead. The bed was very comfortable, high thread count sheets. An honor bar was in the room, overpriced as usual, but convenient if you just do not want to go get something. Our preference is for a frig and microwave (I did not check if that was available), but we were able to move some things out of the honor bar to place a couple bottles of soda and juice.

Upon arrival they provide complementary tea service (hot or cold). Each night they turn down the bed, and provide a linen cloth where they place the hotel provided slippers (or your own if they were by the bed). There was also provided a plush bathrobe and several complimentary items in the bathroom over and above the usual, I do not remember all the items, but it came in a pretty wood box.

The hotel was decorated with museum quality Asian art and was a pleasure to walk around.

The attention to detail and the service was unexpected. When you check out or check in the staff comes from behind the counter to personally hand you your keys/ receipt. We valet parked our car and the doorman remembered our name during our stay (we were there for 2 nights, but came in early and left later in the day). There is a free car service to anywhere within a couple of miles (you are on your own to get back) which was a nice touch when we went out to dinner.

There was a spa, which I did not use. However, I did use the fitness equipment – the usual except laid out with different rooms for the various machines making it feel more spacious.

We did not eat there, except for the lunch I had that was part of the conference. It was very good, sandwiches but with the extra touches that make it more than a sandwich. Fried pickles were especially good.

Only two things: with as much as the hotel was per night – they charge for Wi-Fi. They said they had very fast access, I did not see the difference. And the other is something just to get used to, although I suspect if we had been there longer they would have anticipated our need. You have call to get ice, there are no ice machines accessible for guests. But this I expect is the service that those who prefer luxury hottest expect.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I spent three nights at Mandarin Boston , spotless hotel , luxury , great staff , brand new , perfect location the deluxe room is very good
They also have a "6 stars " Spa , best I ever been , best hotel in Boston

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Boston? Share your experiences!