“great hidden hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of John Jeffries House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
John Jeffries House
You added John Jeffries House to your Saves list
14 David G. Mugar Way, Boston, MA 02114 (Beacon Hill)   |
Ranked #14 of 46 Boston B&B and Inns
San Leandro, CA
“great hidden hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2007

My husband and I just got back from a 5 day, 4 night trip to Boston. We heard about the John Jeffries house through budget travel magazine and then I checked out the reviews on tripadvisor. We were not dissapointed. From the airport we caught the silverline bus which dropped us off at the southstation T line which connected us to the red line. We got off at Charles station and the hotel was right there across the street. We were given a first floor room with a kitchenette. I didn't hear the metro at all but I did hear the ambulance sirens. The Hospital is only a couple of blocks away so bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. The hotel was clean and the location couldn't be more convenient. We were able to walk everywhere and feel very safe at night. The only negative I could say was that the breakfast was nothing to write home about. It consisted of coffe/tea, fruit and some kind of bread pastries. I didn't really mind b/c there are 2 starbucks and a bunch of cute coffee shops around the corner all on Charles street.

• Liked — location, location, location
  • Disliked — breakfast could be improved upon...also..bed was a bit hard..but nothing too bad
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2007

We stayed at this hotel May 07, and agree with the overall positive comments of other reviewers. As with another reviewer, we were moved on our final night (of 4) from our nice upstairs 'junior suite' room to a basement 'senior suite', which had no view (save a 'foot level' view through barred windows). I suspect they follow this practice since these rooms would be difficult to let otherwise.

I would therefore insist on booking that you're not allocated a basement room.

But so long as you get an upsatirs room I would have no hesitation recommending this hotel as good value for money. It is also well located, with the Charles T station right opposite (get a one week ticket if you're there for more than one day), and is also great for strolling round Beacon Hill, which has lots of good eateries.

• Liked — Good facilities in great location
  • Disliked — Being moved from nice upstairs room to (not nice) basement room
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
brussels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2007

Our stay at the John Jeffries House has been an excellent experience. The staff, except for the staff member when we checked in, was polite and helpfull.
The rooms were cosy and spacious. We felt right at home. Breakfast was included (which was a pleasant surprise). Furthermore, we could enjoy coffee, tea, hot chocolate and fruit the whole day.
We would recommend this hotel to any one. The location is great, close by the metro station.

• Liked — rooms
  • Stayed April 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2007

Stumbled upon John Jeffries house 3 Years ago after Holiday Inn was sold out.I won't stay anywhere else now.my mother lives in Boston and John Jeffries House is perfect location for my needs.Staff is always friendly and it very very comforting to see the same faces whenever I go back . I would recomend it to anyone who wants a nice quiet place in the middle of a big city like Boston.

• Liked — Location and value
  • Disliked — continental breakfast
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sugar Land, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2007

There are only two good things I can say about this place. One is that the location is excellent - close to the T, walking distance to many things. Second is the suites are decent sized.

My complaints:
1. They made us change rooms (of a 3 night stay) after the first night and could never really explain WHY in any coherent fashion (we had made reservations weeks in advance). They moved us from a nice 4th floor suite with river view to the BASEMENT (see #4 below for details on room 008)
2. Keys not only have the room number on them, but also the hotel name, address and phone number. When one of the girls in our party lost her key, we were concerned and notified the front desk. They stated that this happens all the time and not to worry since the front door is monitored.
3. Front door may be monitored, but apparently that doesn't matter since they have no idea who their guests are. When I checked into my NEW room on day 2, someone else's luggage was in there. Apparently they THOUGHT this random woman was my friend and let her check into my room and gave her a key. ????
4. Basement rooms are horrible. They store extra furniture, wheel chairs and other things right in the hallway. Lovely room 008 is next to Housekeeping, so 6am all the maids gather and listen to music loudly and talk loudly as they prepare for the day. The lovely view from the windows -- trashcans. Some of the windows had no blinds, just burglar bars.
5. Sofa beds are horribly uncomfortable and one average adult barely fits on one. Regular beds are very small doubles, fairly comfortable.
6. Breakfast was minimal -- muffins, danishes, juice, coffee. Wasn't always readily replenished.
7. In general the service was poor, unhelpful, and unmotivated, and sometimes even downright rude.
8. TV reception was horrible. It had to be cable because they had CNN, but they had only like 25 channels, and many of them were too fuzzy to watch.

All that being said - the only way I'd stay here again is confirm my exact room and not lose my key. And don't have too high of expectations -- you definitely get what you pay for here.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Elkton, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2007

The website photos show kitchenettes with microwave, fridge and stove, which is the main reason we chose to stay there and pay that much to do so. On a good number of trips, my wife and I have enjoyed a combination of occasional meals out, coupled with cooking local foods.

However, when we arrived at the John Jeffries House and got settled in, we noticed right away that there were no pots or pans at all.--no cooking was possible except in the microwave, which is not really cooking at all. I went to the desk and after all the surprise they showed, they did send us one pot with no cover. They implied that no one else had ever made such a request. I did buy a frying pan at the local Good Will,, but, silly me, I did not think of a spatula and of course, the hotel had no such thing.

This place has pretty much of a great location. It is right across from the Charles/MGH "T" Station. However, because MGH stands for Massachusetts General Hospital, you can expect to hear sirens at any time of day or night, despite what they say about soundproofing. We were on the first floor, so maybe it is less noisy further up on other floors. However, I do say that with the use of good earplugs, none of this affected my sleep or that of my wife.

This might be a good place to stay for people who don't want to cook meals in order to save money or get a break from restaurants. Had we known that we'd have stayed farther out for less.

Also, the place could have been better kept up--the headboard of our bed slanted sharply backwards when we tried to sit up to read in bed, and a light that burned out in the bathroom was never replaced. There was really good coffee at the continental breakfast, though.

• Liked — close to public transportation.
  • Disliked — lack of cooking...
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2007

Good little hotel in a great location. Nothing fancy, review by owlhead64 Denver spot on, difficult to find but well worth the effort. ‘T’ across the street & great walking along Charles Street and around. Plenty of good eating places and the giant movie house across the Common mind blowing when one comes from a village with only 250 people. Visit Harvard and what must be one of the best art rooms in the world (no exaggeration!). A thank you to the lady in the post office on Charles Street who helped me pay a parking ticket before I left the US & became one of the most wanted. Thanks also to all in Boston who were so helpful. Almost forgot don’t miss a shopping trip to Filene's Basement a lot of fun for little money. Visit Boston & around for a really good holiday & enjoy your stay at John Jeffries House.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — difficult to find
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to John Jeffries House? Share your experiences!