“Best kept secret in Boston!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of John Jeffries House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
John Jeffries House
You added John Jeffries House to your Saves list
14 David G. Mugar Way, Boston, MA 02114 (Beacon Hill)   |
Ranked #13 of 46 Boston B&B and Inns
Madison, Wisconsin
“Best kept secret in Boston!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We planned a long weekend to Boston and NYC and I needed to find a hotel for the Boston part of our trip. Room rates were crazy expensive for anything in the heart of the city. I somehow stumbled upon this hotel online and picked it because the location looked great and it was considerably less expensive than anything (anything!) else in the city. We were not disappointed. Super convenient - across the street from the Charles/MGH T stop, a CVS and a small grocery market. Plenty of cute shops and coffee along Charles Street and a very short walk to Boston Common and Newbury Street area. The old building has lots of charm and the rooms are clean, updated and quiet. How they combo the awesome urban location with this level of quiet was impressive all by itself. We had a comfy bed and a kitchenette in our room. The staff isn't over the top friendly but plenty pleasant and accommodating. The front door is locked / you are buzzed in. There is always coffee and tea in the main sitting area. Highly recommend this property.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed one night at this B&B the night before disembarking on a Boston to Bermuda cruise on the NCL Dawn. The hotel was close to Beacon Hill and within walking distance of Boston Common and the State Capitol Building. The room we had was on the second floor (via a small elevator); however there were about 6-10 steps from the street level up to the loby level and with heavy luggage, it was quite a chore getting to the front desk! We arrived early in the day and the staff graciously allowed us to leave our luggage so that my wife and I could do some sightseeing. The breakfast fare was average continental breakfast....no hot food ws served. There was always coffee available in the common breakfast room. I would recommend this B&B as being an economical alternative to the high prices of most downtown Boston hotels.

Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

We have just come back from a trip to Boston and New England and the last three nights were spent at the John Jefferies. I was very pleasantly impressed with this nice, clean, hotel. The room was not big but we had a kitchette (seperate). There is a very nice complimentary breakfast of juice, coffee, tea and deliciously fresh pastries. All day you can help yourself to fruit and tea and coffee. We found the staff to be helpful and pleasant. In short.... a good, reasonably priced hotel and close to everything.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor which was really good for us as I was able to take our "breakfast...
Ferndown, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

John Jefferies House is superbly located in central Boston with easy access to the subway (less than 100 yrds) and with easy walking distance of the centre of Boston.You have a very pleasent walk up Charles Street to Beacon Hill park and the beginning of the Heritage trail. Loads of very nice and not too expensive restaurants close by to choose from. The hotel its self is basically self catering (most rooms I beleive have a small kitchen area) and the rooms are a good size and clean. However breakfast is not really breakfast but teas/coffees from thermos flasks and a selection of mini danish pastries/fruit from the side board in the guests common area which is furnished with sofas and coffee tables. I am not really sure if this could be clasified as breakfast as on several mornings there was nowhere to sit. My only other comment is the size of the bed in our room - it was a very, very small double bed (we had booked to two people) and on several nights I went and slept on the sofa. The bed area was so small you could only just get between the bed and the wall - maybe it is pushed against the wall for the rest of the time? This was disappointing and took the shine off our otherwise wonderful stay in Boston. I would recommend this hotel for business or single people but if you are a couple then check out the beds first - there is nothing worse than no sleep.

Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

In October 2011 we stayed twice at the John Jeffries House. Both times for two nights.
It was a good alternative to all the overexpensive hotels in Boston.

The location right in Beacon Hill is perfect. A subway station is just a few footsteps away.
Logan International can be easily reached by public transportation. (A cab from the airport costs approx.30 $.) The city center is within walking distance as well.

As we stayed with 3 people (two adults and one child, 11 years) we booked a suite. They can only accommodate three guests in one of their suites. We had one queen size bed in the sleeping room and a sleep sofa in the sitting area. Both times our suite was located on the ground floor (basement) and although there are several windows in the sleeping room and the sitting area it was a bit dark in the room. As we spent most of the time outside the house this didn’t bother us too much.

The common room opposite the reception is a lovely, very charming room where they also serve breakfast. If you are only looking for a fast snack, breakfast can be recommended. They offer coffee, tea, hot chocolate, a variety of pastries, fruits (apples and bananas) and juice.

Recently, a new service was established. In-room dining for lunch and dinner is possible as well but we did not try it.

A small luggage storage room is located near the reception.

Friendliness of the staff is okay but not overwhelming.

The bottom line is that the John Jeffries House is a really nice Bed and Breakfast Inn with good price/performance ratio.

Danville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

Although this is classified as a bed and breakfast it is actully a smaller scale hotel that offers a continental breakfast in the lobby floor common area. If you are looking for a romantic atmosphere with all of the comforts of home I'd say look elswhere. But if you want a clean, affordably priced room sans the bells and whistles in a terrific location then by all means this is the place. JJH is located on the Charles River just on the edge of the Beacon Hill area and within walking distance of some very good restaurants in the area. The T subway access is directly across the street so getting to anywhere around Boston is very easy. A short walk to Boston Common and you are at the beginning of the Freedom Trail. My only complaint is that parking is very expensive and although you get a "break" from the $38 daily parking next door, $25 a day is still a lot to pay to park (no in/out). The continental breakfast was nothing to brag about but it beat a blank. Front desk staff was helpful when they could be but did not seem to be very informed about the area. Restaurant suggestions were more miss than a hit. We found 75 Chestnut Restaurant (one of the best in the area) on our own, a few blocks away and one of the front desk attendants didn't even know it existed. However all said, a very good selection for a 2-3 star lodging choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, away from the main intersection and the hospital.
Sudbury, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

I stayed here about 8 days ago as part of a women's weekend, and I am still recovering. I tried to sleep on the pull-out sofa in my room, and wound up falling through the bed frame. I hurt my shoulder pretty badly. No broken bones, but I was pretty banged up. When I called the desk to report this and request another room, the unsympathetic receptionist said there were no other rooms available. My sister talked to the receptionist in person, who miraculously decided they did have another room for us. And, to the hotel's credit, they did not charge for that night.

The second night of our stay, I tried to sleep on a different pull-out couch in a friend's room. Because of my bad luck the night before, I tested out the bed and found it starting to break, much like the one from the previous night. There was no way I wanted to risk another injury. When I discussed the situation with hotel management, I was told there nothing they could do. There were no other rooms available, so I asked for them to put me up at another hotel and they refused. Their only offer was to let me sleep on the broken sleep-sofa free-of-charge. No thank you. I was not sleeping on another death trap. So, I had no place to stay that night. Luckily, I have a friend who lives close-by, who let me stay with her. But, without her, I would have been without a bed.

So, bottom line? Do NOT sleep on the pull-out sleep sofas. They are a death trap. And, the management doesn't care. And, the window blinds don't work well either! If you wind up staying here, GOOD LUCK! You will need it.

Room Tip: You may be okay if you don't sleep on the pull-out sofas.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to John Jeffries House? Share your experiences!