“One of the nicest rooms I have stayed in for quite some time...” 5 of 5 stars

10% off room rate!
Ranked #21 of 77 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
boston
“One of the nicest rooms I have stayed in for quite some time...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2005

I planned an impromptu trip into Boston to spend time with my daughter. I booked the room two days ahead of time on Priceline - this gives one access to the Fairmont Room category (king or queen bed / smaller rooms).

When we checked in I asked for a room with 2 double beds and was accomodated - the double bedded rooms are in the Deluxe category which affords a more spacious room.

I have to say that the hotel looked fantastic from the time we entered, the lobby, the elevators, the hallways, and in particular our room and bathroom. Our room was huge. It was a corner room at the back of the hotel (not on the Westin side of the hotel - on the opposite side which is next to a side street and the Prudential tower), it was at the end of the hallway, not near a stairwell, and was very quiet. (Room number was 301 in case that is helpful to anyone).

This room had windows on two sides, two very comfortable double beds with very nice linens and pillows. The room and bathroom were spotless. There was a beautiful fireplace and mantle, a desk, a comfortable club chair and the entertainment center which housed the TV and minibar. The bathroom was enormous - probably about 12 feet by 10 feet. It was a large tub, sink with granite counter, toilet, 2 bathrobes, all marble.... very updated, large and nicely appointed.

The ceilings were tall, the moldings so beautiful, the fireplace, chandelier... it was just so elegant and nicely done.

As for the people we interacted with they were all very nice and helpful, except for one of the check in clerks who was not going to give us the two double beds. Luckily the room wasn't ready and when we came back she wasn't there and someone with a more generous nature was and accomodated our request. The valet parking attendent was extremely helpful, even took pictures of me and my daughter in front of the hotel.

All in all just a fantastic trip. I highly recommend this hotel, particularly for families as the location is very central to many things you might want to do.

By the way, I did have a chance to peek in at the queen bedded Fairmont room. While it is also lovely, it was tiny and not as nice a location on the floor as the one we ended up with.

• Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Korean first
Dudley UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2005

Stayed at the Fairmont for four nights from 18.7.2005. Found Hotel to be in a great location.Close to the shopping at the Prudential Centre and Copley Mall. Short walk to T for visits further afield.
On arrival thought the Hotel entrance to be very grand although not many places to sit in lobby. The hotel dog " Catie Copley" is a nice touch. Check in very good. Had a deluxe room on first floor overlooking the Westin. We were quite suprised at the lack of noise from outside. Found room to be large and the kingsize bed very comfortable. Found there was only a small cupboard for hanging clothes but lots of drawer space. Bathroom very small with no where to store toiletries. I was under impression rooms had been renovated but maybe they missed ours. sink basin and toilet pedestal both cracked. The biggest disappointment was housekeeping,room not cleaned very well on all the days we were there.
Found the the food in Oak Restuarant to be very good although very expensive and the Oak Bar is a nice setting for evening drinks.
All the staff we dealt with were very nice and polite. All in all we had a very pleasant stay.

Southern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2005

Well I remember this hotel from when I was younger and I got a fantastic rate because I work in the industry however, hallways needs to be updated I feel. The rooms are small but I do understand that these are old buildings so this is what you should expect. The decor however has been updated, though the linens had a rough "worn" feel to them. To me it wouldn't be worth the rack rate pricing. Doorman was extremely helpful and polite.

Be advised the only rooms that have views are the suites that face Copley Square other than that the side rooms over look the Westin and the expressway entrance. The location is AWESOME you are right at the "T" green line Copley stop so easy access to downtown by way of trolley or even a very nice walk. There is the Copley Plaza Mall which has a lot of "high end" stores and of course Newberry Street is about a 5 minute walk. Didn't check out the restaurants we only stayed one night.

Respectfully Reviewed

Baltimore, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2005

We did not have a pleasant experience at the Fairmont Copley Plaza. We got placed in the room across from the stairwell, which meant that we heard people outside our room all night.

More importantly, the air conditioner stopped working in the early evening on one of the hottest nights of the year, which meant that when we returned from dinner, the room was 80 degrees and very humid. We called down to the front desk, and they called maintenance. Thirty minutes later the maintenance attendant came and said that the A/C was working fine (which it was not, incidentally). An hour later, although the thermostat was set at 64, the room was still hot and humid. We went down to the front desk to ask them if there was anything else they could do, such as fix the problem or put us in another room. They called the maintenance attendant again, who said that nothing could be done. Throughout this process, the front desk agents were extremely rude and apathetic to us during the process, even though there were no other guests who needed service. They were talking with each other, and when I tried to ask them, they would give me terse responses and refer me to maintenance.

On the maintenance attendant's fourth trip to the room, he provided us with a noisy but effective table fan. We found it peculiar that the hotel front desk staff were so rude, while the maintenance attendant was quite accommodating.

Lastly, we received a wake-up call at 5:00am that we did not order.

So, if you're looking for a $200 room without A/C in the middle of summer in Boston, and to get woken up throughout the night by staircase traffic and finally by the front desk staff, the Fairmont Copley Plaza is the place for you.

There are better choices, like the EconoLodge in Braintree.

Portland, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

Okay, first the good - the "deluxe" room I had was quite large, including the bathroom, and the bed was the best I have slept on in some time. The bathrobes were also a nice touch, and my view of Copley Square was fantastic. Now the bad: there were no rooms available when I arrived around noon - I know checkin at most hotels isn't until 3:00 or so but 99.9% of the time they have rooms available; I was able to check into Nine Zero at 10:30 a.m. when I stayed there. So I kept checking in (they did offer to call my cell phone but I didn't think it would be that long) and finally at 3:00 I was told a room was ready; however when I got up to the room housekeeping was still in there so I had to go back to the lobby and wait another 15 minutes. There is no coffee in the room; minor, I know but most hotels have free coffee. They offered to bring a coffee machine with the "set-up" to your room for $10 plus taxes, etc. I also didn't receive a newspaper even though when I made my reservation through the Fairmont site they asked what type of paper I wanted (national or local). For those of you who don't wash your face in the shower, the sink in the bathroom is an adventure to use (don't bump your head!) and for a hotel that has great views, I don't understand why the chair is situated on the opposite side of the room by the door; I'd rather sit in a chair by the window so I can enjoy the view. The lobby is not set up right to me; the only place for people to sit is on the opposite side of checkin near a reception room and if there is an event going on (as there was on the day I stayed) you have to hear the noise from the room. Finally, a treat for me is to order room service breakfast; don't bother. Two eggs, toast, ham, coffee and juice (no mention of potatoes on the menu I had) for $21 plus room service fee, gratuity, taxes, etc. which by my calculations would bring the total close to $30! A big disappointment and I would not likely stay there again, even with the reduced rate I paid.

georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2005

We booked three rooms here for two nights after my son's graduation and had a very good experience. Had been told that THE place to stay was the Ritz but after looking at the Fairmont's website and finding a summer special price of just $229 a night compared to the Ritz at $400+ I chose the Fairmont and was pleased. The FCP has been recently renovated and our room was huge and had a wonderful bed, beautiful linens and a lovely marble bathroom. When we were leaving to go to the airport, the head doorman went WAY out of his way to call several taxi companies for us and get us a minivan cab - when one arrived he refused a tip and told us to tip the guy carrying the luggage instead. Also, they have an adorable black lab that is their canine ambassador - a nice touch to make people feel at home. I would stay here again and probably would try some of their other properties.

• Stayed June 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2005

At the last minute my husband and I decided to stay in the city after a wedding last weekend, and we chose the Fairmont. While we've stayed there often, this was our first visit to the new Gold Floor. Lots of hotel chains are now barking about their heavenly beds, well, no hotel I've been in holds a candle to the linens and bedding at the Fairmont. Really, I had flashbacks all the next day wishing I was back in the sack at the Fairmont.

The hotel feels as if it was just totally renovated. Everything in the room was new and top quality. Time was, I used to feel insulted when I was given a room without a view, and our room this weekend was an interior room. but QUIET! It was like being way out in the country. No city noises at all.

The gold floor has a great club kind of thing. It's about five different (all very elegant) sitting rooms with something for everyone -- fireplace, computers, butler's pantry, TV. whatever you're in the mood for.

So often, there's not great value attached to "club floors", but the Fairmont is different. This premium is worth every penny. And, oh, those linens.

Been to The Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston? Share your experiences!