“over promised and under delivered” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Charlottetown PEI
“over promised and under delivered”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

I was most upset at the treatment that I received at this resort. The staff were snooty and unresponsive. Many major problems with the room that didn't get fixed upon request and forced out of the room by annoying housekeepers at 8am, then at 9am, then at 10am. Not worth the amount they charge AT ALL!!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Korean first
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

My fiancee and I stayed here overnight on Christmas Day. My birthday was a few days away so when I placed my reservation I signed up for the the President's club. When we arrived we were given a free upgrade (we had requested ahead of time). When we got to the room, there was a bottle of champagne and box of chocolates with a birthday card from the manager. It was a very nice touch. The room was impeccable and very large. Our king size bed felt like an XXLarge bed - it was huge! The sheets and pillows were incredibly soft and the bathroom was very large and very clean. The bathroom amenities were all Herman Miller and there was plenty of shampoo and conditioner! My only criticism of the bathroom is that you couldn't pull the shower curtain all the way around the tub, even though the bar for it was there, it was just a little weird. There was a wide screen tv and two comfy chairs next to a non-working fireplace. The view was also very nice - see the pic. I believe we were in room 629, it faced copley square and the church, see the pics.

We had a reservation for the Oak Room downstairs and I stopped by the bar early to get a small bite and a drink. It was a little slow at the bar in terms of service, it was Christmas and they seemed short staffed. Dinner in the Oak Room was delicious and the portions were large. The service was fantastic and we never felt ignored. Our table was in a small, more private room in the restaurant. The main dining room was busy and a little too loud for me.

Maybe because it was Christmastime and the hotel was not that full so I did not hear doors slamming from the other guests at all at night like some other tripadvisor reviewers did. Our room, however, was across from the door used by the cleaning crew, so I did hear that door close a few times the next morning. By the way, there was and still is some construction being performed to the huge windows on the Dartmouth street side. The windows are to the Oak Room restaurant, but they just closed the curtains and we didn't notice when we were inside.
If I were staying today, I would not request a room on the 2nd floor dartmouth street side, it is not a great view and the construction might be a problem in terms of noise during the day.

Overall, I was satisfied and really felt like I was away on vacation a lot longer, that is how a beautiful hotel like this makes you feel.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

I stayed in the Fairmont this past weekend. This hotel is absolutey beautiful! From the architecture to the ornate details- it is a gorgeous hotel. The service was impeccable. Concierge and front desk are very helpful with anything you could want. The location is excellent! We walked to everything- restaurants, bars, and plenty of shopping is within blocks of the hotel. But- with all of that said, I would not stay there again for the simple fact that I did not get a good nights sleep either night. The first night I slept maybe 2-3 hours. Second night was better because we requested a fan to drown all of the noise. The doors to each room close very loudly- i feel like the door was slamming every 5 minutes. And because the hotel is old- the walls are paper thin so you can hear everything going on in the hallways and the roads below (and we were on the top floor.)
My sleep is precious to me, so if you are staying there i would recommend requesting a fan be delivered to your room- or you will not sleep well at all!

Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

The concierge service was great (Jim Carey) and he was helpful in securing NCAA tournament tickets for us! There is also a great dog in the lobby who adds to the great experience. Location is central, near shopping, bars, parks, major neighborhoods, and sites. Rooms and ambiance are older and temperature control was difficult.

Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

My fiance and I stayed at this hotel for just a fun weekend getaway. We absolutely LOVED the beautiful lobby of this hotel and the food was absolutely amazing. They served little baguettes with a soft blue cheese spread. I'm not sure what kind of blue cheese it was, but I've been craving it ever since!!! The location of this luxurious hotel is just minutes away from Quincy Market and not far from the aquarium. We liked our room and the service was amazing.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

I stayed here on my own for two nights in February 2009 for a conference and was extremely pleased.

The location is fantastic - it is right off of the Copley metro stop and directly adjacent to the Marriott, which is connected to a large shopping mall. Also, just a short stroll away (even on a chilly Boston winter day) from Boston Common and the Historic District.

My room was rather large and well appointed. The bathroom was very roomy and the shower had great water pressure. The bed was extremely comfortable and I slept like a baby.

The only less than glowing comment I can make relates to security, or rather, the appearance thereof. Since this is an older hotel, they don't have a system in the elevator where you need to use your room key to gain access to your floor. Also, while the room key was the standard modern card model, the door handle itself was still rather old fashioned and ornate. While this certainly fit in with the overall theme of the hotel, the result is that my door never seemed to close with a tight seal and I had the impression that breaking into the room wouldn't be all that hard if someone were so inclined.

Overall, though, my stay was very enjoyable and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

Excellent hotel that lives up to all the hype from other ratings. The hotel is immaculate and the service was first class.
Room sizes are huge as are the beds.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston? Share your experiences!