“Don't forget to pet Katie” 4 of 5 stars

15% off room rate!
Ranked #19 of 77 hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Homosassa, Florida
“Don't forget to pet Katie”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Old school, so this is still "The Copley", forget Fairmont. It is an older property with a wonderful lobby and old style charm. The staff's outfits really gives you a great look. The star is Copley Katie, the 12 year old black lab -- a real sweetheart dog. Loves to go for "walkies" in Copley Square. The rooms have been updated and are quite nice, but the doors are not too sound proof and conversations in the hallway are quite noisy. Like many high end hotels -- internet costs you, a definite negative. Overall, the old school charm is really nice, but could be a bit better

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

1,281 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Korean first
Newbury, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel in Boston. I have stayed at many Fairmont hotels around the world, but must admit this one was not up to the standard one would expect. On our second night we opened the wardrobe door to find not one, but THREE giant red cockroaches on the carpet. We managed to splat one, but the others got away...
We called the front desk and when the ast. manager came up to our room she apologised and asked if we would like to move rooms - Of course we did!
We were moved to a different room, and an hour later received a complimentary 1/2 bottle of sparkling water (?!) and a card to apologise for the trouble caused.
The night before check out we received a copy of our bill under the door, and I was surprised to see no discount of any kind shown for the inconvenience. When we checked out the next day, I asked to speak with the manager and he then deducted 1 night's stay from our bill.
Overall the hotel is still very old fashioned (despite a recent $30 million refurb) The plumbing system throughout the hotel is poor - we had problems with the bathrooms in both rooms we experienced. Breakfast is over priced: Pancakes, Toast, Bacon Sandwich, Juice & Coffee $76
This is not up to the normal Fairmont standard. Whilst we loved BOSTON, we would not return to this hotel again. We also experienced the doorman chatting and not opening doors on more than one occasion.

Room Tip: Ask for one without cockroaches if at all possible !!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jennifer Z, Internet Marketing Coordinator at The Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Hello, and thank you for your post. I am very sorry to hear about your recent stay with us and I’d like to extend our sincere apologies. We pride ourselves on offering our guests a luxurious, memorable experience and I’m disappointed that we fell short. I have shared your comments with our Director of Rooms and I’d like to assure you that we have taken the appropriate measures to prevent this situation from recurring. Thank you, again, for your post.
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Enjoyed a three night stay in August at the Fairmont Copley. Beautiful hotel in a great location. Splurged on a junior suite on an executive floor and were treated with a hot breakfast every morning. The staff could not have been more helpful if they were relatives. Everyone was eager to assist and none of the "snootiness" I thought I might find.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Booked this Grand Ole Dame over Thanksgiving weekend, just one night for a quick getaway to celebrate my husbands birthday. I had stayed at the Fairmont 10yrs back and I remember it such an old world charm, with dramatic decor and gorgeous linens. The hotel is indeed still beautiful and they were just putting up all the Christmas decorations so the word magical pops into my head. When I booked the room I was told of the multimillion dollar renovation they had just completed. The booking agent (as well as concierge at check in) put a huge emphasis that the rooms were a big part of the renovation. That being said, not quite sure who did the reno because there were def issues with our room. Curtains had stains, holes in the tile in the bathroom, things weren't fully painted, tub had stains around drain, and I felt the decor with the room just didn't mesh well with the feel of the old charm Hotel. These were all minor issues (oh and the drain didn't drain in the tub), but for a supposedly newly renovated hotel I would think they would pay attention to these little details. Its like they got a contractor who didn't finish the job. Despite these minor issues our stay was wonderful, the location is just perfect and staff were delightful. The only other think that was disappointing was the terrible room service breakfast we ordered in the morning. We decided to splurge and got breakfast to our room. I knew it would be expensive and was willing to pay, however the food was terrible. We both got Benedict and I can confidently say it was the worst I've ever had. The bread was so soggy (not from the sauce they must have dumped the poached egg with water on my toast) and the sauce was just eh. I would have been totally fine if I had paid $10 but breakfast cost us $70 for 2 Benedict and a freshly squeezed orange juice. All in all it was a fine stay, but I think we will try the Lenox next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jennifer Z, Internet Marketing Coordinator at The Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Hello and thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. I’m so sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your guest room as well as your in-room dining experience. I have shared your comments with our Director of Rooms and our In-Room Dining Manager, in order to assess and address the areas where we fell short. I do apologize again for the disappointing experience, as we can and will do better. Thank you for your post.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Myself and my husband had a 2 night stopover but could have stayed another week at this beautiful hotel. Yes, it is old but it is stunning with a terrific atmosphere and excellent staff plus the location is perfect. We stayed in a gold room so we had a private check-in and access to the lounge which is wonderfully cosy. We very much look forward to returning.

North Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Second Time here and it was just great. Everything and everybody at the hotel just works. Simple good service, not-intrusive. I stayed in a gold room which also grants you access to the lounge. the room itself was huge and the standard and quality of all the fittings, linens etc could not be faulted. I have stayed at many hotels with Louges, Ritx Carlton and New York Palace, the food on he evening service was the best I have experienced. All in all, with it's great location, if you can get a good deal on the rate, you will not be disappointed if you choose to stay here

Room Tip: Get a Gold Room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello George, and thank you for sharing your comments with us. I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! It’s great to hear that your experience on Fairmont Gold was top-notch, from the service to the evening hors d’oeuvres. Thank you, again, for your post and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Concord, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I love this hotel! i stay here as often as i can-this is the place that makes you feel like you are surrounded by old money but there are touches of the modern world. It is elegant yet cozy! The bar is understated and you are made to feel as important as anyone else! I love the food and have had nothing I wouldn't order again. Concierge service is spot on too!

Room Tip: They have renovated recently so go on line and check out their new rooms!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston? Share your experiences!