“Executive level well worth it” 4 of 5 stars

15% off room rate!
Ranked #20 of 77 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Executive level well worth it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is a wonderful hotel if you want to be treated to a classic Boston experience. We really enjoyed our stay on the executive floor. It was worth the extra money. We were treated to superb personal attention, free internet access and a delicious hot breakfast. We stayed in a standard room and it was spacious and comfortable. I would have given them an excellent rating except that the shower had very poor water pressure. I opted to take a bath instead. I believe that removing the water savers from the showers would solve the problem.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I read the reviews and discounted the grumbling, opting instead to rely on the "Fairmont" name and assume that the dissatisfied customers were pre-renovation. Wrong. The rooms are so small, one would think one was in downtown Manhattan in a Philippe Starck hotel: there isn't enough shelf space (shelf a slab of marble screwed to a board and two shims with an L-bracket into the tile) for a toothbrush, no place for a suitcase. I couldn't use the desk chair AND walk around the bed. Also I asked for a quiet room, and was given one away from the street, FACING the HVAC chiller and fan complex. The worst, though, is the restaurant. Food weird, expensive, the staff if jeans, surly, untrained and unhelpful. All built and staffed by the lowest bidder.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We just spent a few nights in the Battery Wharf Fairmont before moving to the Copley. Totally different experiences and hotels.

The Copley is certainly a grand building. The entrance has a European feel with marble floors and chandeliers. We had a corner suite on the first floor but moved after the first night as the window didn't close properly and it was too noisy. However, the room itself was spacious and well appointed.

We were movd up to the sixth floor to the museum science suite. Beautiful room with big lounge and equally big bedroom. The bathroom was small but adequate. The decor was very nice and each room had a lot of furniture including a large sofa to relax with the paper. I had one issue though and that is that this room was also noisy. These rooms have recently been renovated but the windows don't keep out the traffic noise at all.

Each room had plenty of windows, good light and nice views of the square. The location is perfect, walking distance to a lot of attractions, restaurants and shops.

We did encounter a few small problems with the Copley. The room safe wash locked when we arrived and it took 4 calls to get this resolved, I asked for a extra luggage stand on more than 1 occasion and never got it, the heating didn't work in 1 room (the lounge), on checking out our invoice was wrong and of course the noise was an issue.

We got far better service at Battery Wharf but we still enjoyed the Copley. The Oak room is a vibrant bar that attracts a lot of locals, it's huge but still busy enough for it to be hard the get a seat in the evening at the bar. The first night we sat at the bar and got great service but on the second night we were seated at a table and our waitress did a runner and we waited over 20 before we found her replacement. Not good enough.

Copley, you could take some learnings from Battery Wharf on the service front. It's not too bad but not to your normal standards.

I would still recommend the Copley but think it has a few rough edges that need fixing. Copley wins the location race but Battery Wharf is better.

Room Tip: The rooms to the front of the building are noisy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jennifer Z, Internet Marketing Coordinator at The Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Hi Antony – We really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us! It’s great to hear about where we really succeeded during your stay (namely, atmosphere and central location), but I’m disappointed to hear that we fell short in other areas. Service, especially, is the top priority in our book. I’ve shared your post with both our Director of Rooms and Front Office Manager, as your comments could facilitate a valuable training opportunity for our colleagues. I do hope you will consider giving another chance on your next trip to Boston. Thank you, again, for your feedback.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here twice over the past few weeks and have nothing but compliments. I should tell you that we paid the extra to be on the fourth floor executive level which was well worth the extra. Free Internet access, special check in, personal concierge service and exec dining area where food and soft drinks are included. The rooms were clean and ok but not great. The best part of the hotel is the staff who were really helpful and made our stay in Boston all the better. Brad, our concierge was so helpful, I wanted to make a special mention of his fantastic attitude. But he was not alone. All the 4th floor team were great and the bell man Michael went out of his way! As a coincidence, we met the previous head concierge who has now semi retired to Vermont whilst we visited Stowe and he spoke with such care of this establishment that you could sense the mutuality of care.
I will definitely return to Boston and when I do, I will look no further than the Fairmont Copley Plaza!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello, and thank you for sharing your comments with us here on TripAdvisor. I’m very pleased to hear that you enjoyed both of your recent stays at The Fairmont Copley Plaza. I agree that it’s the staff who make any hotel visit special and memorable – I look forward to sharing your post with Brad, as I’m sure he will appreciate your kind words! What a fun coincidence that you were able to meet Jim (our former Head Concierge), as well. Thank you, again, for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Woodbridge, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel just celebrated its 100th anniversary. The hotel had been updated since our last stay. Our room was lovely and cozy. The bed was firm and our feather pillows were perfect. We almost slept our entire weekend! Most interesting was the lobby. Here, carpeting had been stripped away to disclose the most beautiful and intricate tilework. The lovely old Oak Room and bar had been combined into one huge space. I found it too contemporary and too noisy and wouldn't have dinner there. The 184 foot bar was amazing with a view into the kitchen. I noticed one fireplace in the lounge. Too bad it didn't have more seating available around it. One needed reservations for "happy hour". Perhaps it was due to the 100th anniversary celebration of the hotel. Overall, the updates were beautiful and the room was comfortable. The service, as usual, was exceptional. You get what you pay for. It's a lovely hotel just across the street from the best shopping, very close to Newberry Street and the Boston Commons and Park, and in the midst of some of the best restaurants in Boston.

Room Tip: It costs more for a view, of course.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband surprised me for my birthday by booking the Museum of Science Suite at the Fairmont Copley Plaza. This was truly a wonderful experience that I will never forget! The suite was two large rooms, elegantly decorated with chandeliers over the bed as well as over the velvet couch in the living room. This corner suite overlooked the Boston Public Library as well as a gorgeous cathedral. The staff at the hotel were friendly, outgoing and thoughtful throughout our stay. We entered the suite to be welcomed by a chilled bottle of champagne-it was the perfect beginning to a perfect evening. The gold floor was a luxury as you have access to Hors d’oeuvres during the evening, the “honor bar” in the late evening for cocktails and a delicious buffet in the morning.
I have stayed at several hotels in Boston including the Boston Harbor Hotel, The Liberty and The Intercontinental. The Fairmont Copley is truly my favorite as it is an experience in and of itself! I encourage you to stay over and experience it for yourself!

Room Tip: Request the Museum of Science Suite
winnipeg, mb
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

From the moment that I stepped foot at the Copley Plaza in Boston, I felt like I had stepped foot into a work of art. Apparently, the hotel had just completed an extensive renovation. I was fortunate to be there after the renovation. It was truly a grand hotel! I loved staying there. Our room was very spacious and beautiful. We had an amzing view of the square. However, the noise level at night was less than desirable. Especially at 3 in the morning. The food was excellent in the new restaurant in the lobby. I loved this hotel!

Room Tip: Get a quiet room away from the busy streets!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston? Share your experiences!