“Great location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Greenville, South Carolina
“Great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Selected this place due to its location. Perfect distance near all the local sights, pubs, entertainment, etc. Nice place, cozy, and comfortable. Free breakfast buffet, next door in restaurant. Great selection. Has elevator and stairs. Decent size rooms. Good bathroom. Ice machine right outside door. Room had a refrigerator., large flat screen tv., table and 2 chairs. Everything within walking distance or the "T." I would recommend this place for couples who want a change from the big named hotels. Staff not quite as friendly as I would have expected, but what can you expect from college students.... some of the nearby pubs were like that as well. They would rather cater to the younger crowd than the older ones with more money to spend, go figure. So expect this attitude throughout down town Boston.

Room Tip: We selected the 4th floor to stay above any night time noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Greek first
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed in the Newbury and had a king room with a bay window.
The room was spacious and comfortable with a nice big bathroom and comfy bed.
Breakfast is included and does the job without being gourmet.

What you need to take into account is that Newbury street is very busy until early morning and that really is all that stops me from giving it a 5.

The location is brilliant for Boston sightseeing and exploring but if you come from outside the US then be warned the room rate is before taxes and we paid $80 worth on a basic price of $598 for 2 nights.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Eugene OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

In all fairness to the hotel, this was at the end of a cruise and two other segments of a vacation and everyone was tired and wanted to go home. That did not bode well for a good time. The hotel is in a very trendy, hip part of Boston and something that isn't us!! I thought everything was expensive, as in the restaurants, and frankly thought that the room was expensive for what we got. I booked two rooms with bay windows and thought we would be looking out on the tree lined street, but we looked out on the alley. I thought the decor was a little worn and tired. We asked for a recommendation for dinner one night and were sent to a very noisy, fully booked restaurant. When I return to Boston, I would choose to stay in a different part of the city. The pluses were that staff accommodated us by giving us early access to one of the rooms; that was appreciated and we liked that breakfast was included.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My husband and I spent 7 nights at the Newbury and am I glad we discovered it. In all our travels we have never stayed in such a delightful location. The room was very comfortable and the staff friendly. It was also a bonus to have breakfast there, although I found it a bit lacking in variety. One thing I did miss was not being able to make coffee in the room. Aside from that everything else was perfect. Newbury Street itself was so unique with all its quirky shops and places to eat. Could have spent a week just visiting the shops in the 1 street! Perfect location to the Prudential which was just around the corner and also the "T" at the Pru. Copley Square was also within 5 min walk. In fact everything about Newbury was perfect. The staff even posted my jersey which I had left there, back to Dublin, paying some of the postage. I would definitely recommend The Newbury to anyone going to Boston and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, given the opportunity.

hinh

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We had a 3 night B&B stay here before setting off on our tour of New England. The location is excellent with most places you might want to visit within walking distance and, if not, the T subway is just along the road. Our room was clean and comfortable and provided all the amenities you would get in the big hotels. The staff were welcoming and friendly and complimentary coffee is constantly available on the ground floor next to reception. Breakfast was buffet style, both hot and cold, and was the same each day but that was fine by us. Being an older building there are lots of steps and even though there is a lift to all floors this might be an issue for the lesser abled. Also, being situated on the busy Newbury Street, be prepared for traffic noise at night.

Room Tip: I would imagine rooms at the rear of the hotel would be quieter
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Fantastic location. Right in the middle of the vibe of Boston. Room modern, clean and spacious.
Breakfast basic but good. Staff friendly and helpful. Would not hesitate to recommend to others and stay again ourselves.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
St Paul, MN,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I booked several nights in March 2014 - a good 5 months away. The entire hotel cost went directly on my credit card. I wasn't expecting that - so cancelled my reservation within two days of making it.

When I cancelled - I was charged a $25 booking fee. All cancellations made before "March 2014" are charged this.

1. I understand a cancellation fee- but five months out? And within a day of making the reservation?
2. I did not understand the cost was going to go onto my credit card immediately. I know this can be standard, but I didn't understand that, and didn't read any fine print to point that out. I am saving to make the trip - don't have it all yet!

I'm sure this guest house is lovely, and I hope I may indeed stay there sometime. But - I didn't appreciate the charge, nor the immediate full charge to my credit card.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Newbury Guest House? Share your experiences!