“Surprisingly lovely” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 77 Hotels in Boston
San Antonio TX
“Surprisingly lovely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Being a big city hotel in the city, I didn't expect much, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Hilton Back Bay Boston. First, I am a Diamond VIP, so I was roomed on the 24th (Hilton Honors) floor. The hotel is obviously older, but the rooms are in great condition, got the complimentary bottles of water, free internet, access to what they call the Diamond VIP Lounge. Note that this is not the typical "Executive Lounge." It's on the first floor, instead of the typical top floor. Food is good to very good, but note that at this time of the year, the lounge is swelteringly hot. Fitness center very nice, pool warm (84 degrees) which makes swimming easier since the room temp of the pool area is freeeeeezing.

I'm thinking this hotel must have gotten "dinged" on customer service because when you are in the lobby there are MANY hotel employees immediately at your side, ready to help you. In the morning, someone is walking around with trays of Starbucks coffee and hot chocolate. In the late afternooon and evening, there are still several people who approach you even if you hadn't thought you needed approaching. I don't know how I feel about that yet.

Room Tip: This is not connected to Copley Center, so you have to go outside. It's not that far, but in wi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HiltonBostonBackBay, General Manager at Hilton Boston Back Bay, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am happy to hear you had a great experience with us at the Hilton Boston Back Bay and enjoyed your room on the 24th floor. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Boston.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Turkish first
Lawrence, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Situated across the street from the Hynes Convention Center, the Hilton Back Bay Boston offers excellent value and comfort. I selected the Hilton because of its proximity to my meetings. And I was not disappointed by the accommodations and amenities. The staff was superb, always available, and attentive. The lobby, while small, offered a welcoming environment with places to sit and chat, to check email at the business center, and to have coffee (a Starbucks is tucked in one corner). The on-site restaurant also offers in-hotel food service, especially a buffet breakfast with a wide selection of items. My room was well-appointed with a comfortable bed, a work table, and a spectacular view of the Boston. The bath was spacious with a double shower-head arrangement and a nice selection of soaps, gels, and shampoos. The Wi-Fi worked without problems; there is also a small business center adjacent to the lobby. The hotel has a fitness center with well-maintained facilities and an adjacent pool and hot tub area. The fitness area offered an excellent selection of equipment, including weights, pads, lots of towels, water, and fruits. I definitely appreciated this oasis to workout before the start of a grueling day. In sum, the Hilton Back Bay is superb choice with great facilities and rooms. I intend to return here next time I come to Boston.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. I am very happy to hear that our Team Members took such great care of you and you found the amenities of our property to your liking. We hope to see you return soon! Safe travels.
Melbourne, Aus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Situated in a great location in the Backbay area of Boston, the Hilton is a modern clean hotel which gives credit to the Hilton brand. There is an excellent gym on site and the furnishings and condition of this Hilton are above most other mainstream hotel brands and Hiltons.

Whilst the hotel doesn't offer anything extraordinary, the rooms are clean and spacious and offer great views of the Backbay area.

Room Tip: Wifi is free in the lobby,
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
HiltonBostonBackBay, General Manager at Hilton Boston Back Bay, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thanks for the comments and hope to see you return soon to the Hilton Boston Back Bay!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The striking thing about the Hilton Back Bay is the excellence of the staff. The location is great with plenty of nearby restaurants and shops for almost any budget. Well above the average for US Hilton's.

• Stayed January 2013
I am very happy to read your comments about your recent stay and glad that you found the location and service levels of our hotel to your satisfaction. Hope to see you return soon....safe travels.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Having stayed at a few Hiltons and looking at the photos I was expecting a modern hotel and decor in rooms. This Hilton had an impressive lobby and a Starbucks too ( defo a plus!) however the room was not as modern as we would have wanted and a lot of the furnishings in the bedroom looked a but tired. We were upgraded to 22nd floor so had a fab view although not panoramic (even though we booked this). The bathroom however was modern, good water pressure and large.
My husband and I satyed for 4 nights so this room actually grew on us a lot!
Breakfast buffet was amazing! Good quality hot food and selection of breads and fruits. Service as expected was good too.
Gym was quite big and again with a view however Boston do NOT believe in air con so you are hot before you have started your workout. Great for calorie burning but not so great if you want to last an hour in there. Good selection of weights and machines too. There also is a pool although dont think this is clear on the webiste as just says it has spa.
We paid $214 a night which included breakfast so wasnt cheap so were just a bit disappointed with the bedroom being tired but overall we were happy with the hotel as a whole.
Also location wise this is amazing! Right near prudential centre (shops shops shops!) and tour bus stop.

Room Tip: maybe ask if they have any newly renovated rooms and a high floor. the higher floors are for Hilton...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Provides a great starting point to exploring Boston. You can reach many of the key sites and destinations from here easily, and there are plenty of dining options nearby for most any budget. The room we had was very comfortable with rather new amenities. We availed of the complimentary HHonors breakfast, which was a bit lacking as compared to others, so this was the only part I would rank as slightly below average. If you are parking overnight, there is a third-party lot across the street to save yourself enough to buy a drink.

Room Tip: If possible, get a west-facing room since they seem to have a better view
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. I am very happy to hear that our Team Members took such good care of you and you found the amenities of our property to your liking. Hope to see you return soon! Safe travels.
Southest US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for a conference and chose it over other suggested hotels because we are HHonors members. The hotel is in an excellent location, just across the street from a large indoor mall with lots of affordable restaurants and upscale shopping. Despite the excellent location, there were a few issues that will prevent me from trying it again if I return to Boston.

1. There is no airport shuttle (many other hotels DO have a shuttle). A taxi ride is anywhere from $25-$40. I was charged an airport fee on both rides, but they were different ??? No one helped me with my luggage, so I am wondering what this fee is ??? I would suggest asking someone at the hotel about cab fares and transportation options before your travel plans.

2. You can't adjust the thermostat in your own room or turn on the fan. I often turn on the fan in a hotel room just to alleviate all of the "noises" that you experience in a shared space. I also felt the space was very stuffy. I asked at the front desk about this and they told me to open my window. It was 9 degrees outside. Hmmmmmm

3. There isn't a fan in the bathroom either to drown out any noise.

4. The hotel is a triangular shape and there are 3 elevators that go up and down in the middle of the triangle. Although the rooms do not share a wall with the elevator shaft, you can hear them going up and down ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT. It's kinda like the swooshing sound of waves at the beach, but instead of being calming it is just annoying.

5. I could hear people talking, going to the bathroom, turning on faucets, falling, etc. through the ceiling.

6. I am almost 100% sure that I got slight food poisoning at the restaurant. The first night I arrived I was exhausted from travel, so I just ordered from the hotel restaurant. I ate, went to bed, and then woke up a couple of hours later terribly ill. I have only ever experienced this in cases of food poisoning. I had no symptoms to indicate that it was a virus.

There were some bright spots:
1. The HHonors diamond lounge was always fully stocked and breakfast was good with sufficient choices.

2. The lobby has a coffee bar and business center for all hotel guests.

3. Again, the location is superb.

4. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The maid service was very attentive, leaving fresh towels, water bottles, and making the bed each day.

5. Beds are cozy with plenty of pillows.

I clearly was not able to be comfortable during my stay and had issues with how noisy the environment was in general in my hotel room. I have small children, so I feel like I am pretty flexible and can tolerate noisy environments. This hotel just didn't do it for me so I would try another hotel in the same location next time (the Westin and Sheraton are connected to the indoor mall, Hilton is just across the street from the Sheraton entrance). I am giving this an average rating because of the location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HiltonBostonBackBay, General Manager at Hilton Boston Back Bay, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your detailed feedback via TripAdvisor. We are sorry to hear you were unable to fully enjoy your stay with us due to noise from our elevators and neighboring guests as we know how important a good night's rest is while traveling. We will look into additional measures such as insulation or providing ear plugs, that we may be able to take to alleviate this issue moving forward. We appreciate your input as a frequent traveler and valued HHonors member and we will keep your suggestion to install ceiling fans in mind as we look ahead to future improvements. We hate to hear of any guest being ill while staying with us and apologize if it was a result of something you ate with us. Please feel free to contact us directly if you would like to discuss this further. We are glad we were able to meet your needs and that you found our location convenient for your activities in Boston. We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality service and stay you deserve, the next time you visit the area.

Been to Hilton Boston Back Bay? Share your experiences!