“BED BUGS!!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #51 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Columbus, Ohio
“BED BUGS!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I recently spoke with the manager regarding our stay - Room 2111 the week of July 16, 2012. I informed him that while the accommodations were comfortable (minus a lack of a bathroom fan), my daughter and son had been bitten by a type of bed bug on one of the first nights. We are not dirty people, nor did we think such a prestigious hotel would pose such a risk, however a doctor verified the kids were bitten then. Several hundred dollars in medication, doctor visits and after cleaning our home, car and laundry we feel like we have eradicated the bug. The manager (maybe his name was Michael) said he would contact me once he reviewed hotel policy, but never did. During our conversation, he continued to say the hotel had never had any bug problems before and dismissed my concerns saying the room was currently rented out to another guest. I’m not looking to take advantage of anyone, but I feel angry and embarrassed for your hotel that you obviously think so much of yourself that you cannot even take a charge like this seriously because “you change the sheets every three days.” Our vacation in Boston was a great time, but every time we think back the first thing that comes to mind is the bugs. It’s not the way we wanted to remember the trip we planed for over a year. Regardless of the eventual outcome I don’t foresee any more stays at Hilton-owned properties.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

The hotel is great. We had a room on the 24th floor, very quiet. We had planned to use our own computer and pay the daily internet charge, only to discover they have 5 computers for guests' use in the lobby. There was never a line to use them. A great convenience, and money saver.
The hotel is NOT near the main tourist sights. We had to take the T to get anywhere except the Prudential Center. That was a fun place, but our goal was to see all the sights.
Suggestions? There is a Trader Joe's right around the corner. The room has a refrigerator, so we bought enough at TJs to have breakfast every day. A real money & time saver! Another suggestion? Buy tickets to one of the hop-on, hop-off buses. They will take you everywhere you would want to see, and very convenient. There are stops for all the various buses right at or near the hotel.

Room Tip: We had a corner room, NOT with a river view, but it was large and very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonBostonBackBay, General Manager at Hilton Boston Back Bay, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thanks for taking the time for the great review and hope to see you return to Hilton Boston Back Bay.

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

A very good stay at this hotel, clean, convenient, great location. At $200 price was reasonable; I was holding out for a better deal via priceline or hotels.com, but must have been a busy weekend, couldn't get a rater any better for anything comparable. My internet was free, but perhaps because I joined Hilton points?

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hilton Boston Back Bay. Hope to see you return in the near future. Safe travels.......

Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I tried to think of something that I didn't like about the Back Bay Hilton, and I really couldn't think of anything. For starters, it is in a great location, right around the corner from the Hynes convention center and the Prudential center, steps from all of the restaurants and activity on Boyleston Street, and about a block and a half from the T station. You shouldn't need a car, which is a good thing since parking is $41 a day.

The room itself was large, the king bed very comfortable, and because there are only about 15 rooms on a floor, it was generally pretty quiet. The room had a small safe, which I always appreciate, and the bathroom had a night light built into the wall switch. The bathroom itself was small but well-appointed, and the towels were large enough that I wound up dragging mine on the floor of the tub.

The staff were helpful, and the business center had three decent computers.

Although it was expensive - perhaps more expensive than hotels in Manhattan - it was comparable to other hotels in the area.

In short, it was a very decent place to stay. Not outstanding - for that kind of money I expect at least a hotel that I would consider to be very good - but I had no criticisms. If you are not looking for a cute little bed and breakfast or unique accommodation (or are attending a convention in Boston) and are willing to swallow the cost, it is a very good choice. I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: If you are attending a conference at the Hynes, the Sheraton, right across the street, is directly c...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hilton Boston Back Bay I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the location] was helpful. I will be sure to share your comments with the rest of our staff and hope you will return soon.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Just returned from a one-week vacation to Boston with my husband and stepson. The location of the hotel is excellent (almost across the street from the Prudential Center & a short walk to Fenway); my stepson and husband loved being able to walk to the ball park, especially since baseball was the focus for our trip. However, the beds were very uncomfortable and the service was okay but not anything to write home about. Overall, the hotel could use some upgrading...not what I expected from a Hilton. It wasn't terrible, but I don't think it was worth what we paid. Don't think I will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry that you didn't have an excellent experience with us. I have addressed these issues with our staff. Exceptional Guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Thank you once again for your comments.

belfast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Spent 4 days in Hilton back bay in July 2012. It's well located in the back bay close to prudential centre and maparium and duck tours. Also close to underground. Room was clean if a little dated with good ac. Beds were standard doubles which is smaller than most hotels I've stayed in recently.

Had breakfast on first day 70 usd for 3 people ... Too expensive so had later breakfast at cheesecake factory in the prudential centre ... Much cheaper.

In this day an age wifi is seen as a commodity and not a premium service. I found wifi free all over the place so was astounded to find the Hilton wanted me to pay 15usd Per day! To use wifi in my room. Yes you can use wifi for free in the lobby , but that's inconvenient. Needless to say I suffered the inconvenience rather than shell out 15 dollars for the priv.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate your feedback regarding the cost of our wireless internet service and breakfast. While we do charge an additional fee for wireless internet, we strive to be competitive with other hotels and offer quality services and amenities in our guest rooms. We hope you will consider staying with us again.

Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We recently returned from a 1 week family vacation at the Hilton Back Bay. The hotel is conveniently located in the Back Bay area adjacent to the Prudential Center and a short walk from Copley Place. My son and I actually walked to Fenway Park (~15 mins) for a tour. There is also a Shaw's grocery store in the Prudential Center where you can pick up breakfast/lunch items if you're so inclined. The two closest T Stations (Subway/Underground) are Prudential and Hynes Convention Center depending upon which line you are taking. Neither is more than a 5-10 min walk away making it very easy to navigate the city without a car.

Check in was fast and efficient and we were even offered a nicer room with a great view of the city. Hotel staff always greeted us with a smile and were very accommodating. WiFi and computer terminal access is complimentary (in the lobby) for guests and they even have a printer for documents/directions/boarding passes. They also have a Starbucks located in the lobby if you enjoy their coffee.

Three elevators were always in service, we never waited more than 5 mins for an elevator. Hallways seemed to show the age of the hotel but everything was clean and orderly. Our room was furnished tastefully and included a flat screen TV, workstation desk, in room safe and small fridge. Our room was recently refurbished but certain items like the closet doors and the bathtub seemed to show their age.

The housekeeping staff always provided our room with plenty of fresh linens and promptly refreshed used items (shampoo, soap, in room coffee). The beds were very comfortable and noise was well contained except for one evening where my wife was awoken by adjacent guests talking in the hallway at 2:00 AM.

Overall we were pleased with our stay at the Hilton. I would say that the hotel is more geared towards business travelers but it certainly is quite good for families on vacation as well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. Hope to see you return again soon.

Hilton Boston Back Bay

Been to Hilton Boston Back Bay? Share your experiences!