“Old school comfort in the Back Bay” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 77 Hotels in Boston
boston, ma
“Old school comfort in the Back Bay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

The Eliot is one of those classic hotels that you can't help but love. I had a King Suite and it was huge, with a large living room / office with french doors closing off the bedroom / bath area. I had assumed that the rooms would be small, and was pleasantly surprised at the size. The bathroom was averagely sized but nicely appointed with a cool and odd half glass wall partition shower.

Dining options are obviously immense, being in the Back Bay. Right downstairs in the hotel are Clio and Uni, which are both Ken Oringer restaurants and some of the best dining in Boston. Clio's bar is legendary, and if you're a sashimi fan (no maki rolls or sushi), you must eat at Uni. It's amazing.

Service at the hotel was great. Always somebody there to open the door, call a cab, valet your car, stash your keys, get the elevator. Just old school service and vibe.

Would most definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the suite.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Lake Placid, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

The Eliot Hotel takes the concerns of their hotel guests very seriously and aims to please every time I have visited there. On a recent stay I ordered room service as I was not feeling well. My tea came with ample lemon and honey and all of the employees wished me well when they saw me the next morning. I am impressed by their warmth and friendliness, efficiency, cleanliness and superb location.

Room Tip: The higher floors have less road noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Wingham, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I booked three rooms for three nights over New Year's Eve. Because this is not a brand new hotel the rooms are not a standard plan or size, as a result one suite was quite large, one medium and one quite a bit smaller with a double bed as opposed to a king. When we pointed this out to the front desk, we were given a larger room. No problem, no hassle. The bed was very comfortable and the shower has decent water pressure. The location is great for shopping and not that far from the Common. Breakfast was not included but available at Clio and offered a good selection to choose from. We had dinner at Uni. It was fantastic. Expensive, but fantastic. We asked to sit at the sushi bar so we were able to watch Chef create. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Plus points: a very good rate for a small suite plus breakfast (perhaps that should have alarmed me?); good location near Newbury Street.
Minus: without a doubt the worst service I've had at a hotel in a while. After a long flight, booked room service - it didn't arrive after 45 minutes so I called to cancel. No answer; left it ring for 10 minutes; no answer. Called the front desk to get them to cancel; polite apology; accept busy times means small hotels can't cope. Then ten minutes later a waiter arrives at my door with the order and is the most surly, ignorant one I've come across in a very long time. Go to bed hungry. Told reception in morning before I left.
We all make mistakes. The mark of a good hotel is how they are dealt with. Avoid.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Joseph P, Assistant General Manager at Eliot Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
I regret that this guest was unable to realize the high level of service the Eliot Hotel is committed to providing and wish I could apologize, but the factual information is a bit different from what I am certain this guest truthfully believes. It is true our internationally recognized Restaurant, Clio, was dealing with an unexpected shortage of staffing due to an emergency and the guest was quoted, therefore, a 45 minute estimate for room service delivery. The records indicate that the time from when the guest order was received to the time the order was attempted to be delivered was 46 minutes. The guest, however, called after 35 minutes to complain about a delay and to cancel the order, but before the request could be processed, the order was delivered.

The room service waiter, a true professional who has had the pleasure of serving our guests for over 16 years was reprimanded by this guest. The server's arms becoming heavy with the order simply inquired if the guest did or did not want the order, as it was not clear to him based on the manner in which the guest was speaking to him. The guest, in frustration, then called reception. I personally answered the call and the guest proceeded to condemn the room service and the rudeness of the waiter. As I began offering assistance, the guest found it necessary to hang up the phone.

While we can certainly appreciate subjective experiences inform the impression of one's stay, I must say the interaction is entirely different from the polite type of interactions we cultivate and have with our typical guests. I hope the frustration this guest experienced, regardless of origin, has abated and I invite this guest to provide us with another opportunity to return. If so, I will ensure his experience will be commensurate with both of our expectations.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed at the Eliot Hotel for Christmas 2012 and it was very good but we suggested coffee machines in the suites and wi fi would make it excellent.

We have just returned to England after spending Christmas 2013 at the Eliot and not only were there coffee machines in the suites, there was also wi fi and this year continental breakfast was available in the restaurant.

We stayed in a two bedroom suite which was beautiful, cosy and extremely comfortable. The staff were courteous and helpful. The heating was extremely noisy which meant we had to switch it off before we could sleep but everything else about the hotel is perfect and we can't wait to cross the Atlantic again to stay at what has become our favourite hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less traffic noise and switch the heating off when you want to sleep
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Stayed here overnight before a Trans-Siberian Concert. Even before we arrived, the service was absolutely incredible. We had emailed to inquire if parking was available before the usual check-in of 3:00pm. I received a response, within an hour, stating that because they noticed we were arriving from Canada, that they had anticipated an early arrival, and that our room would be ready for us when we arrived. This is a small example of the personalized service at The Eliot. When we arrived, our room was indeed ready, but we had been upgraded to a suite (MORE than welcome). The room was absolutely immaculate, and huge! The bathroom is outfitted in all marble. My only complaint is that the toilet is a tad too close to the wall, however that is to be expected of a 100-year old building.
The location is amazing, close to everything in Back Bay (within walking distance of Newbury St, Copley Place, Shops at Prudential Center). No need to drive/call a taxi.
The staff were all incredibly friendly and approachable, always ready to offer a tip about where to eat lunch or what shops have the best deals!!
We tried calling Clio, one of the attached restaurants, to no avail. I was put on hold twice, and then promptly hung up on each time. I called the front desk, and she was able to make reservations right away, and was quick to apologize for any inconvenience (none had).
We plan on returning to Boston, and will definitely book a room at the Eliot. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone willing to pay a bit more for that extra touch!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Wormley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We stayed for a long weekend and had a lovely time. Free upgrade on arrival (offered, we didn't request it!) which was a lovely surprise. Staff could not have been more helpful. Bed was very comfy. We ate in the restaurant on one night and had a beautiful meal. The only downside to the room was the very noisy blown air heating.
I would recommend this lovely old hotel - we had a really pleasant stay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Eliot Hotel? Share your experiences!