“Beautiful Hotel, but...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Irving
“Beautiful Hotel, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

When the hotel we originally booked oversold - we were relocated to the Eliot Hotel. It turned out in our favor as this hotel is MUCH more beautiful and is also closer to Fenway Park as we were going to a Red Sox game.
The doormen were all very friendly and kind. There were two men at the front desk when we checked in who were also incredibly warm and inviting.
The room itself was SO comfortable! We fell in the love with the bed - the pillows and comforters were incredibly soft.
The only "problem" that happened occurred the morning we left. The two women at the front desk were rather cold and indifferent. I may be a little picky because I work at a luxury hotel in Austin and I know what is expected at a hotel of this caliber. It was a bit disheartening just because everything else was so wonderful. However, everyone has their bad days and I may just have experienced an 'off' day with them.
I would recommend to fellow travelers.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

My husband and myself having both worked in the hotel business for over three decades both agree that this was absolutely the WORST hotel we have ever encountered as far as customer service. We visit Boston quite frequently and enjoy many different hotels; one of our favorites being The Lenox. This hotel was recommended by a family member who bragged about the tasteful room style as well as the award winning restaurants. Jut goes to show you that service is everything. You can have a fabulous restaurant and a nice facility but when your staff has a poor service attitude nothing else matters. The GM did apologize for our bad experience and sent us up champagne and strawberries however when we went to check out in the morning we were greeted by a rude night auditor. I asked him if there was anywhere in the hotel that I could buy a water before we caught our flight. He responded no you have one water in your room. I said I know and I drank it last night. No response from him. I would rather stay at a two star best western because the service level at this 4 star hotel isnt even that. One thing we know being in the hospitality buisness and something we always train our staff is that a guest will forgive a technical difficulty but they will not forgive a poor service attitude

• Stayed July 2012
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We decided to add 4 days to the front end of a trip we had planned to Boston, however the hotel we would be staying at didn't have room for us so I used hotel.com to find a room at the last minute.  When we arrived, we were thrilled with the beautiful old building.  The lobby is gorgeous and the bellman cheerfully greeted us and took our bags...a great beginning.  However, things took a turn when we reached the front desk.

From the moment I mentioned that I had booked on hotel.com, the tone in the young man's voice seemed to change (he was very cheerful when we overheard him giving the couple in front of us a complimentary upgrade).  We were told that our room had two doubles rather than the queen we had booked and since my husband is 6'2" this posed a problem.  He curtly replied that "they weren't responsible for the information on hotel.com" .  When we asked what options we had for a queen bed, he told us that we could upgrade to a suite with queen but it had would be an extra $80 per night.  We asked to see it and it was very disappointing, not much larger than the room with the doubles and it was on the main floor.   The friendly bellman who took us to the room, confided that other suites were much nicer and that this was the least desirable room in the hotel.  We decided that we were not willing to pay the extra $80 per night for that room and stayed in the room with the doubles.

Notwithstanding the double bed, the room was comfortable and beautiful.  The mattress was very good and the pillows were wonderful.  There was turn down service every night and the bellman were all friendly and helpful.  The only other issue was Internet.  They have a hefty charge for Internet but offer it free on their in room computers but it worked very poorly and and when we called down for help, we were told it was always a problem.

If we had not had the check in incident I would have been very happy with this hotel but I don't think that guests from discount travel sites should be treated any differently especially since the rate difference is usually just around a 15% difference.  I used the site, so I could see the availability at numerous hotels around Boston rather than checking at each hotel and my ability to pay had little to do with it.  We frequently stay at high end hotels and we expect better service than this from this calibre of hotel.  They should have found us a queen bed, without trying to squeeze us for an upgrade fee and the young man at the front desk needs to drop the attitude.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Assistant General Manager at Eliot Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
I wish to thank this guest for taking time to relate her experience at the Eliot Hotel. It is gratifying to know that, overall, this guest enjoyed her accommodations, but alternately, disappointing to realize that her perceived interaction with our front desk was not commensurate with the hotel’s mission and objective to provide superlative and consummately welcoming service.

I would like to add some context to the perceptions this guest has related which I believe may be useful to the Trip Advisor readership by providing greater objectivity. There can be quite a variety of rates, including corporate rates, group rates, affiliation rates, program rates, travel agency rates and online travel agency rates. As most hotels, we are grateful for the business all of these avenues generate and do not make any distinction in the level of service provided based on the rates guests pay. In fact, discounted reservations made by guests via online travel agencies, provide an opportunity for the hotel to showcase our accommodations and hopefully increase membership to our family of repeat guests.

Many guests utilize online travel agencies for making last minute reservations, just as the guest who wrote this review did. During busy periods, hotels often sell their last remaining rooms via online travel agencies, but obviously, there is a limit to options available at that point. While online travel agencies allow guests to “request” a certain bedding or room type, the hotel can only guarantee a room but not a specific type. In a situation when a specific bedding or room type is a necessity, such as in this guest’s case, it is always advisable to contact the property directly to determine what actually is available and if the hotel is able to accommodate the last minute request.

Although the hotel endeavors to upgrade guests whenever possible, as it is to our benefit for guests to have the best possible experience, it is not always a possibility in last minute booking situations such as with this guest. The guest states that the hotel “should have found us a queen bed,” but when such a bedding type for the room type reserved is not physically available, then it is impossible to comply with the request. I understand that the perception may be that the hotel was not willing to accommodate this guest, but with this clarification, I hope the Trip Advisor readership and this guest will understand that there was no intention at bias and that, therefore, this was really not a service issue. I invite this guest to contact me personally if she wishes to share any further thoughts and hope we have an opportunity to welcome her again.
maidenhead
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

We, couple with 18 yr old daughter, went to Boston on a long weekend over Easter primarily to spend airmiles and hit the shops. Was looking for somewhere to stay where 18 yr could have own bedroom but not be in a separate room down the corridor. Most hotels in US tend to do 2 double beds in one room. So picked Eliot as they had a 2 bedroom suite.
On arrival hotel is old and quaint, which I prefer to bland corporate. 2 bedroom suite was actually a one bed suite with another room interconnecting. Worked well but whole hotel is dark and a bit dingy, especially as we paid top dollar. No separate bar for guests, just a chance to prop up the bar in the restaurant open to the public, and drink prices very high.
On the plus side it is on commonwealth avenue a short walk from shops, shopping centre and attractions, but far enough away from big hotels and conference centre which were very busy. Would I go back, no. Was it OK for weekend, yes.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We just returned from a sightseeing tour in Boston and stayed three days at the Eliot Hotel. A very elegant, with superb service especially at the reception, we had a lovely suite (302) overlooking Commonwealth Avenue, and we had a wonderful time. The only criticism would concern internet: the digitalcomputer available free in the room was very complicated to use, and not working well, so I had to buy a connection for my laptop, which seems illogical in a hotel of this standing. The location is great, very near from the museums, the shopping zonz of Newbury street, and close to the center of the city. A superb hotel!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

While the hotel was beautiful, this isn't worth it. We paid $500/night but didn't get even the most basic of amenities like a paper under our door or coffee in the room! Even Holiday Inns give you a USA today and a coffee maker! Plus, the service was useless when it came to making reservations. They were very nice about it, but never made the reservation we asked for for dinner, and then screwed up a taxi we had requested. Very frustrating because you don't expect this at such a high-end hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, Assistant General Manager at Eliot Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
I wish to thank this guest for taking the time to share their experience with our hotel. The hotel does provide a copy of USA Today on weekdays. In addition, other papers are available on request, including Sunday newspapers. While the hotel does not customarily provide coffee makers in its rooms, we do offer 24 hour room service including tea and coffee service. I extend apologies regarding any issue with our concierge service, as we pride ourselves on the personalized service our staff provides, which includes accommodating guest requests for a wide variety of restaurant and transportation reservations. I certainly invite this guest to contact me personally to review the specifics of our oversight, as additional information would be helpful.
Freehold, New Jersey, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Other than the fact that the elevators smelled a little musty (which isn't really a problem because you don't spend a lot of time in the elevators), this was a very nice hotel. The room was clean and fresh, and the pillows/beds were very comfortable.

Our room had 2 double beds (a little smaller than queen beds), and the room was the size of a typical hotel room. By looking at the floorplan on the back of the door, we noticed that most of the other rooms on the floor were a lot bigger (more like suites, I suspect). However, we had plenty of space in our room.

We were in Boston on business, and typically stay in the financial district, but this time we decided to try staying in Back Bay. What a beautiful area! One block over, on Newbury Street, was block after block of trendy shopping and outdoor dining. You can easily take the subway or a taxi to the financial district, but the weather was nice so we walked. It was about a 35 minute walk, which we didn't mind since the weather was beautiful.

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Eliot Hotel? Share your experiences!