“room not what expected” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #70 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Israel
“room not what expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I'd like to say from the beginning that I booked this on priceline and got a great price, so for the money it wasn't bad, but still Priceline should reconsider the star rating they give to this hotel. The room was really far below a 3.5 star rating. It was small, which I expected, the headstand was not attached to the wall and kept falling forward and the bathroom was old and dilapidated. The shower head must have been from the 1990's. The one small shelf in the tiny bathroom was slanted and could not even hold a toothbrush without it slipping off. The shower was so small that it could barely accommodate one person and as I already hinted, it took twice as long to shower because of the limited pressure of the water coming out of the old shower head. On the other hand, the hotel is fantastically located, in the center of town, has great staff, particularly the concierge - who was 'beyond' helpful! The business center was fine, the lobby comfortable, plenty of sitting room and there is free WiFi in the lobby (always useful). And the bed - once we got over wonky headboard, was comfortable. For a one night stay in central Boston, this was great, but I wouldn't want to stay there for longer than that.

Room Tip: try and insist on a newly renovated room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
JuneM-GeneralMgr, General Manager at Boston Park Plaza, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear feld,

Thanks for your comments. We do realize that some areas of our hotel require more attention and we are actively working to correct the concerns you listed. I'm glad you found our Concierge helpful and that they made a difference to you on your trip. We hope you'll come back in the future to see our many changes!

June McDougall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Dolores, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed 4 days in Boston Park Plaza.The beds were very comfortable.The bathrooms very dated and the shower was hit and miss.I thought tea and coffee machine would be a good idea but had to order room service for it which was expensive.Very good location and the Italian round the corner was the best ever.The hotel seemed a bit basic for us seeing as the price.Would not stay again.

Dear Anita,

Thank you for your review. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our comfortable beds and that we could provide you with a good night's rest! We do realize that some areas of our hotel require more attention and we are actively working to correct the concerns you listed with our current renovation project. My apologies if you did not use the Keurig machine in your guestroom; we do provide complimentary coffee and tea for our guests in each room and this machine can be used to make those beverages. Again, thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future so you can see our changes!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I stayed at the Park Plaza for 4 days during a conference in town. The hotel was ok, but in quite bad shape (loose bare wires under the AC, very noisy AC from just outside) and extremely overpriced.
But the worst occurd after I left and went back to Europe. I got a bill at check-out, which was very high, but after I came back home, they made a withdraw on my credit card for one additional night than what I had stayed there. I wrote them multiple times with proves like airplane tickets etc., but not until a local collegue of mine contacted them (also multiple times) they agreed that they had made a mistake... If they had made a withdrawl in Europe for more than what was on the bill - it would be a criminal act - I don't know about the rules in the US.
I can't in any way reccomed a stay there...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Lasse,

Thank you for your review. My sincere apologies for the confusion regarding your final bill and I am happy to hear that everything has been resolved. As you may have noticed, we are currently under a major renovation and refurbishment throughout our entire Hotel. As part of the renovation, the lobby, guest rooms, as well as all of the exterior and interior of the Hotel and our HVAC units will be updated. Please considering coming back in the future to see our many great changes!

Ratoath, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Just back from a staying here in the Boston Park Plaza with the family (2 AD and 3 children aged 18, 14 and 9)

Now I’ve seen alot of mixed reviews on here so I was very nervous traveling from the great accommodation we stayed in New York. But I needn’t have worried it was excellent. Yes the Hotel is under renovation (some scaffolding outside and a little in the Foyer)but overall nothing I could complain about at all.

There was a little mix up on checking in as I didn’t get interconnecting rooms or rooms next door to each other as I had requested but after a brief discussion the gentleman gave me 2 rooms across the hall from each other on the 5th Floor and for the inconvenience gave me the Free Wifi code for the duration. Otherwise there is a charge which seems strange when everywhere else has it free. By the way.... if you sign up to ‘iprefer’ get your membership number and you’ll also have free access ;-)

Now I’ve read that the Hotel is very dated and rooms are very small and complaints about bathrooms etc and but we had 2 lovely bedrooms both had two double beds, TV etc. One of the bedrooms even had 2 bathrooms a bath with shower in one and a walk-in shower in the other!! so all good here. Toiletries, hairdryers, Iron and Ironing board and a safe. Super quiet and clean. Can’t fault it we had a great experience!

Foodwise there is an “au bon pain” just outside for breakfast bagels, pastries juice etc and also the Irish bar MJ O Connors has lovely food at a reasonable price, we ate in here twice. Just round the corner is a PF Chang Chinese restaurant lovely food and cocktails.

Location is fantastic 2 mins to Boston Common, Newbury Street, Boylston and about 20 minute walk to Fanueil Hall market place. Overall don’t know what I was worried about I’d certainly return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
JuneM-GeneralMgr, General Manager at Boston Park Plaza, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear KKelly41,

Thank you for your nice, detailed review. I am very glad we could provide you and your family with a great experience. I hope you think of us the next time you visit Boston! Safe travels.

Saco, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I recently spend a night at this hotel with 3 other friends to attend a concert at Fenway Park. We arrived at 5pm and were greeted by a most pleasant front desk attendant. After a few minutes of clicking away on the computer, we were told that the cleaning staff was behind and there really wasn't much available for rooms with 2 double beds. After she had a brief conversation with management, we were told that there was a handicap room available now, and the only difference was a walk in shower. My friends went to look for valet parking as I tracked down a bellhop to help bring my luggage up to the room. Let me add that he was also very cheery and pleasant. Upon entering the room, I noticed the view was of a wall. The room was dark and dank with not a chance of a ray of sunlight peeking through. Being a handicap room, the only mirror was in the bathroom. Certainly not handy with 4 people in the room. The heating system would not turn off and made high pitch squeaking sounds all night that sounded like peepers. The shower only trickled water, barely enough to get wet. Due to being at a concert, we arrived back to the hotel late and were looking forward to sleeping in. At 8am sharp, we heard banging and drilling. The hotel was under construction. We were not aware of this at the time of booking. The location of the hotel close to Arlington Station was handy. Directions to Valet parking were not accurate.

Room Tip: Unless you are truly in need of a handicap room, I would not accept if one is offered.
Dear Moxiesp,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad to hear that our staff provided you with excellent service but regret that you did not enjoy your room. We appreciate your comments and understand that you have many options to choose from when making your travel plans. We would love the opportunity to welcome you back and be able to "wow" you next time.

Dakota Dunes, South Dakota, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the BPP as part of a professional medical conference. This hotel was one of a few offerred as part of our conference, and after briefly browsing the hotel's website, we decided that since it was on "the list" of hotels offered, we'd stay there. The hotel's website clearly embellishes the appearance of this place. Trying to keep in mind, they are currently undergoing renovations, and likely this is reflected in the room fees (which are crazy outrageous!), but the room we had, and the several we passed by as housekeeping was doing their duties, looked nothing like the website. See my pics below.

For around $220 a night, we expected what we saw on their website. Perhaps in its glory days, it may have resembled these rooms, or they were very limited in the rooms that had been updated. As you will read in others' reviews, the room was very small (again, a sign of the times). The room was VERY dated, with stained carpet, minimal electrical plugs (outside of the 4-prong adapter that didn't seem overly safe), and draperies that I can't really explain. Our switch plate was about to fall off as well. There was a very nice flat screen TV, but you had to basically lay in bed to watch it. The bathroom was very small, with no useful room for toiletries. The hairdryer didn't work, and there was barely room to use the stool in this "water closet" if you will. The saving grace for the room was the housekeeping staff. Each day, the room was freshened up with new linens, which did help to brighten up this dismal place.

Of course, there weren't really any amenities. Internet was not included in the room, but for a mere $12 a day, you could upgrade, or hope you could grab a signal in the lobby for free. We chose not to dine at the on-site restaurant due to the high-priced menu, on top of the high-priced hotel. Luckily, there were plenty of nearby restaurants instead. It was quite frustrating as well, not just for us, but for the numerous other patrons, who waited each time for usually only 2 operating elevators (out of 6!), which so inconveniently stopped at almost every floor on each trip up and down, even though nobody was boarding or getting off those floors.

The icing on the cake was the critter you see in the pictures I've included. We returned from a day of conference lectures to find a COCKROACH on the floor in our room. On the way back out for the night shortly after, we stopped at the front desk to voice our concerns (showing them this picture), and asking that this be dealt with while we were out. They assured us our room would be serviced, and that the hotel "engineering" crew would evaluate it (indicating they would be spraying or something). Needless to say, we returned to find our unwelcomed guest (who was already dead from the help of my shoe) still in the same location, room untouched. I immediately returned to the front desk to again voice my concerns, and received a look of disbelief when I told them what I found. I probably should have taken a picture of their faces when I hand-delivered it to them. They did try to rectify the situation by offering us a change of rooms, but it was very late, and after seeing the other nearby rooms, we weren't willing to chance ending up in a worse situation. Eventually, they did deduct a portion of one night of our well-overpriced stay.

The ONLY Pro about this place is location to area attractions, but hey, you could walk to anywhere nearby here from a number of other hotels as well. Do yourself a favor, and make sure to read the reviews of this hotel, rather than banking on the website.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Pat,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to learn of your disappointing stay with us. As this is an anonymous review, I'm unable to further investigate the circumstances of your review. If you could be so kind as to contact our Executive Office, we would very much like to talk to you.

Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I will preface this by saying that I have been to every continent in the world, and have literally stayed in thousands of hotels all over the world. I don't often comment, but this hotel is old, tired, and the service is horrible! I am in my last 2 days of a 10 day trip (that started as a conference), and the air conditioning in the room barely works. I've complained 5 times to the front desk, and to date, it barely reaches 73F while set for 64F. The toilet bowl has cracks, the vent is rusty, you can't reach the toilet flusher without the seat down, the tap drips constantly, and if you try to turn the sink handle tight, it simply goes too far and turns on full blast again. The tub barely dribbles water at its highest flow setting, the elevators make you fear for your life as they make the strangest sounds I've ever heard from and elevator, and then they drop suddenly about a foot if they're too full. The food is adequate at best, the rooms are very small (and they charge you extra if you want two doubles instead of a king - as they say the rooms are bigger). Most of the rooms are very noisy, and the street noise is really bad (need new windows that don't open). The whole place is just old, dated, and in need of major work and new management that are competent at running a modern hotel!

On the positive side, the beds are decent, and the location is good, but other than that - avoid this place at all costs!!

Room Tip: Book at a different hotel!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
JuneM-GeneralMgr, General Manager at Boston Park Plaza, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Alberta_Mike,

Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely regret your negative experience with us and hope that we'll get a chance to speak to you before you check out. Please contact our Executive Office so that we may assist you.

June McDougall

Been to Boston Park Plaza? Share your experiences!