“Very Thin Walls and No access to Tower's Lounge” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #70 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Hudson, Massachusetts
“Very Thin Walls and No access to Tower's Lounge”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Overall we the room was adequate and clean. We were only staying one night for my husband's birthday. We choose the Tower rooms and were hoping to have access to the lounge in the evening for drinks at least, but the lounge was not even available the evening we stayed. There was only one robe available and no slippers in room. I upgraded to have access to these amenities and I wouldn't say the upgrade was worth the price. Each room should be prepared with the amenities for both guests, with all the amenities available. The room did come with free Wi-fi, which was nice. The staff was mostly helpful, we had bought treats and needed a mini-fridge and they brought one right up to the room. It was difficult to get a hold of the front desk, I had tried several times and just get the answering service.

My biggest complaint was how thin the walls were. At 3:30am we were awakened by our neighbors having an intimate moment and it was as if we were present in the room with them, it was very loud and not muffled at all. We were awakened again at 8:30am, by the same neighbors. The other side was equally audible as they made calls, babies cried, etc. Don't expect much privacy. I turned the heat on just to drown them out. If I was staying more than one night, I would have requested another room. Needless to say, although the bed was comfy, we didn't get much sleep. Maybe an investment in some soundproofing, if you can't sleep at all, guests won't return.

Room Tip: If the hotel is not sold out, find a room with no guests on either side, if you want any sleep.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
JuneM-GeneralMgr, General Manager at Boston Park Plaza, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear chowie43,

Thank you for your review. We are terribly sorry about your husband's birthday celebration and would like to discuss this incident further with you. As this is an anonymous review, we have no way of getting in touch with you. We welcome you to please contact our Executive Office and reference this review so that we may assist you.

June McDougall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (752)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
NH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here one night for an unexpected business meeting, so my room was booked last minute. At booking, I was trying to save expenses, so I went with the lowest rate. I was not informed this meant a bathroom you could barely fit inside and being adjacent to the noisy elevator. Weeks after my stay, I discovered an unexpected fee on my credit card statement. I had to get an updated copy of my bill, which showed an additional late fee for parking/valet which had been added on after my check out. I never would have known if I didn't watch my credit card statement carefully. When called to inquire, I was given the runaround on multiple occasions - you have to talk to billing, you have to talk to valet, you have to call back before 5, we aren't responsible for those charges since the valet is a separate company, etc. Service was fine when I was there, but apparently once they have your money (and more than their fair share of it), they no longer care about customer service.

• Stayed November 2013
JuneM-GeneralMgr, General Manager at Boston Park Plaza, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear sawyerOD,

Thank you for your review. We hope you will accept our apologies for the confusion in regards to your billing. We invite you to contact our Executive Office and reference this review so that we can further investigate the circumstances of your visit. Thank you again for taking the time to comment.

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

to be positive the hotel is in a great location it is in walking distance to everything. but the negative is more than the positive. to start the front desk staff was very rude and not nice. from check in to check out the staff was the rudest ive ever seen in a hotel. the hotel is so dated worn and old. the bathroom was very dated the bathtub was very high and dangerous you have to climb in and out of it to take a shower . also there was no safe matt in the bath tub to stand on. it is very dangerous and im sure there has been accidents there resulting from it. one time I had a concern and the front desk refused to wait on me and ignored me and instead waited on a group of Chinese tourist behind me instead. I truly have never seen a more rude group than I have there . stay else where there are much better hotels in boston which are updated and nicer

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear J H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies for all the inconveniences that you experienced throughout your stay with us. The interaction you described with our staff is not the the standard that we aim to display at the Boston Park Plaza. We value all our guests and aim to treat them as such. All your comments have been passed on to the respective departments so that they can be addressed and will be considered in our ongoing improvement plan. Should you like to discuss this matter further, we invite you to contact our Executive Office so that we can be of further assistance.

Lilburn, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We have been going to Boston after Christmas for a couple of years. We chose this Hotel over a much newer Hotel that was much more expensive. We too had read some of the reviews which described an experience that was nothing like we enjoyed. We stayed 5 nights and we both were thankful we chose Park Plaza. We go in very early (9AM) and had scheduled other events prior to checking in. The Bell Captain, Tom, greeted us, by name, and took care of our luggage. Later that day,after a show at Harvard, we got a call to let us know that we could come by the Concierge to check-in. We had a room with a view on the 11th floor. Everyone in the Hotel was there to make our stay worth more than we had paid. Our room was CLEAN, bed was EXCELLENT, walls were not paper thin, and everything we wanted to do was easy-The T is right by the Hotel, you are in the middle of the City. Very family friendly. It was wonderful to wake early and read downstairs. Yes, it is an older hotel. But you would never know that from the excellence in the service and care you will receive.
You can pay much for for much less. Don't do that to yourself.
CG.F visit dates 12.27-31.13

Room Tip: Book ahead. Get there early. Be nice.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Chet,

It is always wonderful to hear that our guests had an amazing experience with us. Here at the Boston Park Plaza, we strive to provide our guest with 100% satisfaction and we are indeed happy that we were able to do so. We will be sure to relay your comments to the team. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Beantown!

Guildford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This hotel is massive. It takes up an entire city block. It is classed as a 4* and that is what it is. The main thing that it has going for it is geography. It is smack in the centre of Boston with a subway station only 100 yards from the front door. The rooms are adequate. 200 yards away, almost exactly at the junction of Arlington and Boylston there is a terrific bar/restaurant with an excellent American menu. Given the right weather you can eat either inside or out. The Common and the central tourist points are all walkable if you don't want to ride the subway. The best value on the subway was the 5-day ticket for $18. The normal fare is $11 per ride so $18 is excellent value even if you spend less than a week using it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Tim,

Thank you kindly for your review of the Boston Park Plaza. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to hosting you again soon!

Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed for 2 nights for New Years Eve and was given an "accessible" room since pickings were slim. My review on the room itself I'd say are mixed. The positives: the room was very large, had a comfortable king sized bed, and large bathroom as well as decent sized closet. There was complimentary water and a Keurig coffee maker with a selection of pods and teas. Service was great and location unbeatable. The negatives: The heating system didn't work very well. The windows were a little drafty. The view was interior, looking at the windows of others' rooms. Room was located near the elevator and was especially noisy on New Year's Eve. The walls were pretty thin. The furniture was in very rough condition (one chair had a burn mark from a clothes iron!) and the buttons on the phone didn't work. Internet was pricy. The shower floor was in need of a serious deep-cleaning.
Now I understand that this is a pet-friendly hotel, however, I had gone to bed right after midnight on New Year's Eve, and someone's dog started barking (constantly!) shortly thereafter. I finally got out of bed a little after 1am to call the front desk but was on hold for 20 minutes before hanging up. Someone finally handled the dog. My guess is I wasn't the only person calling to complain.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear acswift,

Thank you for reaching out to share your feedback on recent stay. Your concerns are duly noted, and we will be incorporating your comments into our ongoing training to provide the quality hotel experience our guests expect and deserve. I apologize on behalf of my team and myself for the poor impression we created. It is our hope that you will allow us a second chance to demonstrate the high quality service expected from our hotel.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We chose the hotel based on proximity to the train station. But I think, for our tourism purposes, we would have been better off in a different location. I got the feeling this was more of a business or theater goers hotel. It was close to the theater district, and has a selection of fine dining establishments near by, but didn't have the conveniences I prefer such as casual dining, banks, and grocery or pharmacy stores such as Walgreens. We had to walk quite a long way to find anything like that. It was pouring rain one of the days we were there, and it would have been a mile long walk to reach a place that sold umbrellas. We ended up eating ice cream for dinner that night because there was nothing else (reasonably priced) close by. The hotel is close to Boston Common and fairly close to Newbury street. But for the food and sundries conveniences I prefer, it was out of the way.

The Hotel itself was very nice, with an impressive old world lobby. Registration was very efficient and friendly. Our room was as expected. It's an older building, but has been renovated so the carpets, drapes, bedspread were modern. The room was as described except it did not contain a safe. We were pleased that we had an exterior view. In such a large hotel with a labyrinth of hallways, chances are, you will get a light well view.

Only two full size towels were provided for a two person room. If anyone has any length of hair at all, they prefer a separate towel for their hair, so a minimum of 4 towels (2 per person) seems more reasonable.

The bathtub was spacious, I recommend bringing some bubble bath products if you don't have a big tub at home and enjoy a bath. The bed was comfortable with an array of pillows. The tv was in an odd location in our first room. It was better situated in our second room.

The hotel was fairly quiet except for an unfortunate incident that was no fault of the hotel. A car alarm kept going off and we ultimately had to change rooms at 2 am, but the hotel was extremely accommodating and we were moved in a matter of minutes.

The heating systems caused the room to be very dry and I woke up with a very dry mouth and a sore throat. I ended up with a cold because of the rain and no umbrella problem.

Despite how it may sound, I think it's a fine hotel, and if the location is right for you, then I see no reason not to stay there. The hotel did have a large gym, and a restaurant. It also had two nice restaurants near by. I just personally don't think I should have to pay for a subway ride to pick up a slice of pizza or get an umbrella.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Intrepid_Traveler13,

Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy our location in downtown Boston but wanted to make sure you were aware of certain things, in case you decided to give us another chance in the future. In regards to casual dining, banks, grocery stores and a pharmacy, we have all of those within a few blocks of our hotel and I'm so sorry that it wasn't made more clear to you. There are over 50 restaurants, ranging from fine dining to casual dining to fast food, within a 5 block radius from us. We also have 7 restaurants within our own building. The same goes for banks (Bank of America, Citibank, Sovereign Bank, and many more are right by us), grocery stores (Trader Joe's is about a 15 minute walk and an even shorter cab ride, and Shaws, our regional supermaket, is even closer), and pharmacy's (there is a CVS pharmacy that is a 10 min walk away and a Walgreen's that is a 15 min walk away.) We hope you understand that Boston is a "walking town", much like New York City. That's why we're nicknamed "America's Walking City!" Your compliments regarding our associates and the service they provided you is appreciated and and I'm so happy that you enjoyed the view from your guestroom. Your suggestions for added amenities will be taken into consideration for the comfort of future guests. Also, we provide umbrellas at the Front Desk for guests who need them. I sincerely hope that you will consider coming back and giving the Boston Park Plaza another chance to "wow" you.

June McDougall

Been to Boston Park Plaza? Share your experiences!