“Depends on the room - make sure you ask for one with a bath tub and closet!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Boston Park Plaza

Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #70 of 77 hotels in Boston
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Depends on the room - make sure you ask for one with a bath tub and closet!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Pros: Friendly and helpful staff, charming lobby, good location.

Cons: Some rooms are VERY small, our room could use a good scrubbing and fresh coat of paint, no climate control in room, no seating in guest rooms, overpriced.

I understand going for "old-time" charm, but there's a fine line between "retro" and just plain outdated. My colleague's first room was WAY too small and didn't even have a bathtub or closet. Also, if a room only has one bed, it should be bigger than a double! This is really standard in hotels. I understand space is limited and it's all about location, but to be honest, it wasn't worth anywhere near what we paid ($244/night). The wallpaper and paint in our room was peeling and chipping, the bathroom and guest room were dusty, and we found MANY items on the floor, including several small toys, a bracelet, a rusty safety pin (that I stepped on), and an old butter packet. The housekeeper was sweet and did a good job while we were there, but the room was not properly cleaned before our arrival! On our first night, the hotel was evacuated. I understand this was to keep us safe and I don't fault the hotel for that (although it was inconvenient, especially with a sick 2 year old!). However, when we tried to return to our rooms, my colleague was stuck in one of the elevators! The folks in the elevator called the main desk but did not get a hold of anyone at the hotel. Instead, they were rescued when a GUEST pried the elevator doors open with his cane on the seventh floor. He heard people talking about being stuck and decided to help. This is unacceptable!! Additionally, our room was way too hot (although we were able to open the window a bit - thank you!) and my colleague's room was way too cold. When she called the front desk, she was told that the heat wouldn't be turned on until 8:00 p.m. Again - unacceptable! Climate control is a basic amenity in hotels. Basic! The view was nice, but I couldn't even draw the blinds up high enough to see out the window without ducking. The beds were saggy and not secured to the ground. Two adults sat on the end of one bed (because there was only ONE chair in the entire room) and the head of the bed went flying into the air. For $244/night, I expect luxurious accommodations, but instead received something comparable to Motel 6. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but you get the idea. On the plus side, the concierge was polite and gave me directions to CVS and there are plenty of good restaurants nearby. Also, the lobby is quite charming - I wish the rooms had such charm. The TV was a decent size and the internet fee was not outrageous. Overall, I've stayed at worse hotels, but paid a fraction of the price. I expect to get what I pay for and this was not the case - by a long shot. I won't be back unless I have to or they seriously upgrade the rooms. I would never recommend that someone stay here. While I'm thinking about upgrades, I had read that the 14th floor had nice accommodations, but was told those rooms were sold out. Pity.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 14th floor. If none are available, make sure you ask for one with a tub and c...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
BobW-GeneralMgr, General Manager at Boston Park Plaza, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear annabelle860,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the myriad of missteps during your recent stay. While any number of situations can sometimes occur in a hotel, it is rare that we miss the mark so completely as we seem to have done with you. Your comments will be addressed to our various Department Directors so that we may improve our service in these areas. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss these issues further with you if you would contact us at the hotel's Executive Office. It is never our intention to disappoint our guests and we sincerely regret that we have so thoroughly disappointed you. We hope you will return in future and allow us to recapture your confidence in us.

Bob Williamson

3,488 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
  • Turkish first
Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I found many of the reviews for the Park Plaza to be misleading. The rooms are smaller than one would find in a hotel built in the last 30 years, that's definitely true. I was bracing for something truly tiny and cramped, but that was not the case. The room was comfortable, the bathroom was in good condition and a proportionate size to the room, and the bed was wonderful. It was like sleeping on a cloud. I can safely say that was the most comfortable hotel bed that I've had the pleasure of sleeping in. My only gripe was that the heating/cooling seems to be centrally controlled. The room was a little warm and the window only opens a few inches. I didn't have many interactions with staff other than checking in, checking out and asking the concierge about parking, but everyone I dealt with was friendly and efficient.

The hotel is located pretty much in the center of the city. The Public Gardens, Copley Square, Boston Common, State House, Theater District and the shops and stores of Newbury Street are all a 15 minute walk or less. There is a Green Line T stop just outside the front entrance.

The central location, reasonable price and comfortable bed are all reasons I will be booking a room here the next time my girlfriend and I are in town for an event.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
JuneM-GeneralMgr, General Manager at Boston Park Plaza, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Schlippo,

Thank you for taking the time out to write your positive review about our hotel. We are elated that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to many more future visits from you!

Abuja, Abuja Capital Territory, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Park Plaza is a grand old hotel, well preserved and good amenities. Got a group discount from the facilitators of the course I attended so was quite good value especially for Boston where I gather room rates are pretty steep. Changed my room to a "room with a view" on the 12th floor and was very glad I did, marvelous view of the city.

Now for the cons - always found the lift quite dirty and I wondered if the area was exempt from house keeping! Also cleaning service in the room was iffy, kept finding crumbs or bits and pieces around the room after it had been cleaned. Meal service quite pricey but to be expected I guess.

Overall a very nice experience though and I would return.

Room Tip: Go higher!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear AFisho,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at our hotel. We are disappointed to learn that we did not exceed your expectations. It is through feedback such as yours that we are able to make improvements to our services. We appreciate your business and hope to welcome you back to our hotel and city some day soon.

West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Beautifully updated w/preserved charm! Nice staff but front desk is always busy! Regular rooms are very small & a/c is nothing more than a low fan. November is fine to vist, but I can't imagine being a guest in the summer! The windows open, 3" isn't much.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear FLtravlr_64,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments. We apologize for the temperature challenges you experienced and have requested our Engineering Department to take a look at our HVAC system. Thank you again for reviewing us.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Queen bed was not a proper queen size but I and my are slim people hence we managed it. We had brought ear plugs in case the room would be noisy and in fact it proved to be so. Due to the paper thin walls we could hear even when a guest in the next room opened the sliding drawer. When they spoke to each other it was unbearable. So your stay can be "doable" only if 1) you choose two separate twin beds (if you're not slim guys); 2) you bring ear plugs with you; and 3) if you are gonna stay for a couple of days because you cannot stay longer than that under these conditions. We stayed for 2 nights where we had arrived after midnight on the first day so our stay was OK for us considering our length of stay and how comfy the bed was as well as the great location. We did not eat anything in the hotel nor used its facilities so I cannot comment on those. I encountered 2 major problems: the concierge never answered to our calls! the message "we are currently assisting another guest" was not genuine I think. Second the fire alarm kicked in on Sunday, 3 Nov night and the hotel was quite unprofessional in terms of guiding the guests.

Stayed November 2013
Dear TR_T-Rex,

Thank you for your comments. We regret to hear of the guestroom noise challenges you faced but are happy to hear that you found our beds comfortable. We would like to assure you that our Concierge Team answers all phone calls when they are not assisting other guests and apoloigize that they were so busy when you visited us. Lastly, we want apologize for the fire alarm challenge you experienced, and will ensure that your comments are shared with the appropriate departmental management teams to avoid similar service issues in the future. Thank you again for reviewing us.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The room was adequate: bath was definitely showing wear. room was consistently HOT and the A/C didn't work (it said it was on but it was not circulating cool air. Thank goodness we realized we could open the window a crack and that helped. A/C also made weird noises which woke me up a couple times. Exercise room was very hot; which leans more towards dangerous rather than being inconvenient. The aforementioned issues lead me to believe the room is massively overpriced for the amenities. The staff was wonderful however. At every turn, absolutely friendly and hospitable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear S_travels4fun,

Please let us take this opportunity to express our remorse for your recent visit to the Boston Park Plaza. We hope that you will give the Boston Park Plaza another opportunity to show you the fine service and accommodations we are capable of providing and that you'll think of us the next time you visit Boston.

Weston, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

we stayed here for 3 nights, the location is great, close to Boston common and other main tourist attractions, all within walking distance.
the hotel exterior and lobby is very nice, however the rooms are very small, the bathroom was also small, the room was nothing out of the ordinary for a 4 star hotel, it was very disappointing. the night front desk staff was rude and were not helpful at all with our requests. One of the nights the fire alarm when off and we had to evacuate the building at 2 am and did not get a single explanation or apology from the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear karlines99,

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good service experience with our evening Front Desk staff. Your feedback has been forwarded to our Front Office Manager for immediate follow-up, as this behavior is not acceptable. We also want to apologize for the fire alarm challenge you experienced during your stay and want to assure you that your comments are shared with our Executive Office to avoid similar service issues in the future. Thank you for taking the time to comments.

June McDougall

Been to Boston Park Plaza? Share your experiences!