“Two weeks in Boston!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #70 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Abuja, Abuja Capital Territory, Nigeria
“Two weeks in Boston!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Park Plaza is a grand old hotel, well preserved and good amenities. Got a group discount from the facilitators of the course I attended so was quite good value especially for Boston where I gather room rates are pretty steep. Changed my room to a "room with a view" on the 12th floor and was very glad I did, marvelous view of the city.

Now for the cons - always found the lift quite dirty and I wondered if the area was exempt from house keeping! Also cleaning service in the room was iffy, kept finding crumbs or bits and pieces around the room after it had been cleaned. Meal service quite pricey but to be expected I guess.

Overall a very nice experience though and I would return.

Room Tip: Go higher!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
JuneM-GeneralMgr, General Manager at Boston Park Plaza, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear AFisho,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at our hotel. We are disappointed to learn that we did not exceed your expectations. It is through feedback such as yours that we are able to make improvements to our services. We appreciate your business and hope to welcome you back to our hotel and city some day soon.

June McDougall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (759)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Beautifully updated w/preserved charm! Nice staff but front desk is always busy! Regular rooms are very small & a/c is nothing more than a low fan. November is fine to vist, but I can't imagine being a guest in the summer! The windows open, 3" isn't much.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear FLtravlr_64,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments. We apologize for the temperature challenges you experienced and have requested our Engineering Department to take a look at our HVAC system. Thank you again for reviewing us.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Queen bed was not a proper queen size but I and my are slim people hence we managed it. We had brought ear plugs in case the room would be noisy and in fact it proved to be so. Due to the paper thin walls we could hear even when a guest in the next room opened the sliding drawer. When they spoke to each other it was unbearable. So your stay can be "doable" only if 1) you choose two separate twin beds (if you're not slim guys); 2) you bring ear plugs with you; and 3) if you are gonna stay for a couple of days because you cannot stay longer than that under these conditions. We stayed for 2 nights where we had arrived after midnight on the first day so our stay was OK for us considering our length of stay and how comfy the bed was as well as the great location. We did not eat anything in the hotel nor used its facilities so I cannot comment on those. I encountered 2 major problems: the concierge never answered to our calls! the message "we are currently assisting another guest" was not genuine I think. Second the fire alarm kicked in on Sunday, 3 Nov night and the hotel was quite unprofessional in terms of guiding the guests.

Stayed November 2013
Dear TR_T-Rex,

Thank you for your comments. We regret to hear of the guestroom noise challenges you faced but are happy to hear that you found our beds comfortable. We would like to assure you that our Concierge Team answers all phone calls when they are not assisting other guests and apoloigize that they were so busy when you visited us. Lastly, we want apologize for the fire alarm challenge you experienced, and will ensure that your comments are shared with the appropriate departmental management teams to avoid similar service issues in the future. Thank you again for reviewing us.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The room was adequate: bath was definitely showing wear. room was consistently HOT and the A/C didn't work (it said it was on but it was not circulating cool air. Thank goodness we realized we could open the window a crack and that helped. A/C also made weird noises which woke me up a couple times. Exercise room was very hot; which leans more towards dangerous rather than being inconvenient. The aforementioned issues lead me to believe the room is massively overpriced for the amenities. The staff was wonderful however. At every turn, absolutely friendly and hospitable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear S_travels4fun,

Please let us take this opportunity to express our remorse for your recent visit to the Boston Park Plaza. We hope that you will give the Boston Park Plaza another opportunity to show you the fine service and accommodations we are capable of providing and that you'll think of us the next time you visit Boston.

Weston, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

we stayed here for 3 nights, the location is great, close to Boston common and other main tourist attractions, all within walking distance.
the hotel exterior and lobby is very nice, however the rooms are very small, the bathroom was also small, the room was nothing out of the ordinary for a 4 star hotel, it was very disappointing. the night front desk staff was rude and were not helpful at all with our requests. One of the nights the fire alarm when off and we had to evacuate the building at 2 am and did not get a single explanation or apology from the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear karlines99,

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good service experience with our evening Front Desk staff. Your feedback has been forwarded to our Front Office Manager for immediate follow-up, as this behavior is not acceptable. We also want to apologize for the fire alarm challenge you experienced during your stay and want to assure you that your comments are shared with our Executive Office to avoid similar service issues in the future. Thank you for taking the time to comments.

Arlington, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is the second time this year I have been at the Park Plaza for business. Both times, the hotel has been the selection of the organizers of the business event, not mine.

I wouldn't choose this hotel for business people. Plain and simple. It doesn't have the amenities that are expected for that type of visit.

The rooms are very small. For this visit, I paid $40 additional for two full beds because my marketing person was staying with me for a couple nights of my visit. Instead of the tiny room I had for my stay in May, I got a very small room (i.e., a hair bigger). For $40 on top of an already expensive (standard) "hotel in a big city" rate, I'd appreciate a bit more than 20 extra square feet.

The amenities in the room are spare. There is no luggage rack for a suitcase. All the cups for water and coffee are paper or plastic. There is one dresser with two small drawers and one larger cabinet-type drawer. For a two person room, this is hardly enough space to put your clothes. The desk is tiny and there are no plugs up top to use (like in the lamp or similar, like most business hotels have). Instead, you must crawl under the desk to plug your device into whatever plug is available on the power strip. The only other outlet in the room is behind the beds and you have to pull out the power strip from under the nightstand. The rooms are fairly dim because the two lamps in the room don't put out quite enough light.

In terms of the bathroom, it is small, like others have said. You have to move out of the way to close the door, which just barely clears the very industrial style toilet. The tub is basic and the faucets are old, but the water pressure and temperature were good. I noted that they only gave us three towels for a two-bed room. It seemed stingy, considering two or more (up to four) people could sleep in the room.

Two items stood out in particular:
- when I arrived, the ceiling lamp in the entry area had two of the three lightbulbs out and I had to call the front desk to get someone up to fix it;
- more importantly, the heat didn't work in the room. I turned the thermostat up to 80 and the AC unit kept blowing cold air. I tried calling the front desk from the phone in my room and got an endless hold with a machine telling me how important my call was. In the end, I had to go the front desk and let them know in person. They said they would send someone up to fix it or give me a space heater. I am currently eating dinner at the restaurant downstairs but I fully expect to find a space heater in my room when I get back up. I'm not spending $300 a night with tax for a space heated room. I can get that in a rickety old hotel for a lot cheaper.

Despite the fact that the hotel is well located, I wouldn't choose this hotel for a business stay if I had my druthers. I likely wouldn't select it for pleasure, either, with my husband and two kids.

I fully intend to ask for the cost of my internet ($12.95/day) to be removed from my bill to make up for the two different service calls I had to make regarding my room.

To the hotel manager who I see responds to many of these ratings: I would prefer not to hear that you have shared my feedback with your team and that you are working to improve, etcetera etc etc. That's not why I wrote this review. I wrote it to give a comprehensive review of your property so others may be informed of what the Plaza is like when selecting from the many Back Bay hotels. I know you value my input. Thank you for that. For your information, I was in room 695, checking in on Saturday, November 2 and checking out on Wednesday, November 6.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
JuneM-GeneralMgr, General Manager at Boston Park Plaza, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear Sandra_Alboum,

Thank you for your comments. Many apologies for the experience you had with us. We do realize that some of our guestrooms need renovating and we have been actively working on a plan to remodel them. There will be major changes coming within the next few years and we're positive they'll make a huge difference to the quality of stay for each guest. Thank you again for commenting. We wish you safe travels.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is a large hotel in a good central location in Boston city. Two mins walk from the common (park) and the Cheers Bar. Valet parking available which you can book within your room rate. Booked a kingsize delux room, room was big, view was not good. Nice clean room and bathroom, a bit dated but all fine. In room safe provided. Hotel has a restaurant and good bar, checkin was efficient and helpful, bell hops good and quick and valet parking was fine. Overall if you want a good full service hotel in central Boston, you could do worse than this place. Would stay again if I went back to Boston. There are several very good restaurants within a couple of minutes walk. Recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view on check-in
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear davebryant,

Thank you for your feedback; we greatly appreciate your comments. Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!

June McDougall

Been to Boston Park Plaza? Share your experiences!