“Good service but old hotel with small rooms ” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #70 of 77 hotels in Boston
Arlington, VA
“Good service but old hotel with small rooms ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is the second time this year I have been at the Park Plaza for business. Both times, the hotel has been the selection of the organizers of the business event, not mine.

I wouldn't choose this hotel for business people. Plain and simple. It doesn't have the amenities that are expected for that type of visit.

The rooms are very small. For this visit, I paid $40 additional for two full beds because my marketing person was staying with me for a couple nights of my visit. Instead of the tiny room I had for my stay in May, I got a very small room (i.e., a hair bigger). For $40 on top of an already expensive (standard) "hotel in a big city" rate, I'd appreciate a bit more than 20 extra square feet.

The amenities in the room are spare. There is no luggage rack for a suitcase. All the cups for water and coffee are paper or plastic. There is one dresser with two small drawers and one larger cabinet-type drawer. For a two person room, this is hardly enough space to put your clothes. The desk is tiny and there are no plugs up top to use (like in the lamp or similar, like most business hotels have). Instead, you must crawl under the desk to plug your device into whatever plug is available on the power strip. The only other outlet in the room is behind the beds and you have to pull out the power strip from under the nightstand. The rooms are fairly dim because the two lamps in the room don't put out quite enough light.

In terms of the bathroom, it is small, like others have said. You have to move out of the way to close the door, which just barely clears the very industrial style toilet. The tub is basic and the faucets are old, but the water pressure and temperature were good. I noted that they only gave us three towels for a two-bed room. It seemed stingy, considering two or more (up to four) people could sleep in the room.

Two items stood out in particular:
- when I arrived, the ceiling lamp in the entry area had two of the three lightbulbs out and I had to call the front desk to get someone up to fix it;
- more importantly, the heat didn't work in the room. I turned the thermostat up to 80 and the AC unit kept blowing cold air. I tried calling the front desk from the phone in my room and got an endless hold with a machine telling me how important my call was. In the end, I had to go the front desk and let them know in person. They said they would send someone up to fix it or give me a space heater. I am currently eating dinner at the restaurant downstairs but I fully expect to find a space heater in my room when I get back up. I'm not spending $300 a night with tax for a space heated room. I can get that in a rickety old hotel for a lot cheaper.

Despite the fact that the hotel is well located, I wouldn't choose this hotel for a business stay if I had my druthers. I likely wouldn't select it for pleasure, either, with my husband and two kids.

I fully intend to ask for the cost of my internet ($12.95/day) to be removed from my bill to make up for the two different service calls I had to make regarding my room.

To the hotel manager who I see responds to many of these ratings: I would prefer not to hear that you have shared my feedback with your team and that you are working to improve, etcetera etc etc. That's not why I wrote this review. I wrote it to give a comprehensive review of your property so others may be informed of what the Plaza is like when selecting from the many Back Bay hotels. I know you value my input. Thank you for that. For your information, I was in room 695, checking in on Saturday, November 2 and checking out on Wednesday, November 6.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
JuneM-GeneralMgr, General Manager at Boston Park Plaza, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear Sandra_Alboum,

Thank you for your comments. Many apologies for the experience you had with us. We do realize that some of our guestrooms need renovating and we have been actively working on a plan to remodel them. There will be major changes coming within the next few years and we're positive they'll make a huge difference to the quality of stay for each guest. Thank you again for commenting. We wish you safe travels.

3,590 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is a large hotel in a good central location in Boston city. Two mins walk from the common (park) and the Cheers Bar. Valet parking available which you can book within your room rate. Booked a kingsize delux room, room was big, view was not good. Nice clean room and bathroom, a bit dated but all fine. In room safe provided. Hotel has a restaurant and good bar, checkin was efficient and helpful, bell hops good and quick and valet parking was fine. Overall if you want a good full service hotel in central Boston, you could do worse than this place. Would stay again if I went back to Boston. There are several very good restaurants within a couple of minutes walk. Recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view on check-in
Dear davebryant,

Thank you for your feedback; we greatly appreciate your comments. Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!

tel aviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

we stayed 3 nights in 2 rooms
the location is perfect for walking tour in Boston.
the room was spacious and clean
the bed was comfortable
the service and check in and check out were very good
I do not believe that we could get better hotel for this price in Boston

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear zguby,

Thank you for taking the time out to write your positive review about our hotel. We are elated that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to many more future visits from you!

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I recently stayed at the Boston Park Plaza and had a wonderful time. Check-in was efficient and friendly and the old charm of the hotel was a nice change from the usual familiar hotels. I was on the sixth floor and my room overlooked Park Plaza and Arlington St. We had a room with 2 double beds and I found it just right for the two of us and the beds were very comfortable. Some reviews stated the bathrooms were small and inadequate but I don't lounge in my hotel bathroom nor do I take long hot baths in hotel bathrooms either. If you are very overweight perhaps you would find the bathroom small. I have travelled around Europe and the rooms are so much smaller over there so I think it is an American complaint. The location is simply perfect and within walking distance to Boston Common and Arlington subway station for easy access anywhere you want to go. Next door is a nice pub called MJ O'Connors and Au Bon Pain if you want a quick bite to eat. I had a drink in the hotel lounge and it was a nice atmosphere with sports game on tv and friendly bartenders. I received a voucher for a take-away breakfast and each morning they set up a coffee shop that serves Starbucks coffee, juices, milk, assorted pastries, bagels and oatmeal and fruit. I was allowed 3 items. This was a bonus I was not expecting. Parking is a little different and initially when I drove up to the hotel there was no parking outside whatsoever and left my vehicle in a tow zone in order to check in. I had to then drive around the corner where the valet was located. They take your car to a lot a block away so make sure you take everything you need from your car. This didn't bother me since I didn't need my car anyway. Check out is 12pm but you are allowed to leave your car until 2pm. I wanted to see the Red Sox parade and I was easily accommodated as they kept my luggage in storage until 2pm. The only downfall during my entire stay was lack of free Wi-Fi in the hotel rooms. Many people hang out in the lobby and some even conduct business meetings in order to use Wi-Fi. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will be staying here again!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Kat1325,

Thank you for your review. Your satisfaction is paramount to the success of our business, and we want to let you know that we value you and your patronage very much. This is the culture of service that we strive to foster, each and every day. We are thrilled that you had a lovely stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed for one night on a quick trip to Boston - hotel had availability when most other properties in the city were fully booked. The staff upgraded us to a spacious room on the top floor, which was much appreciated. The bathroom was a good size, with great water pressure and nice amenities. Location is very convenient to the Public Gardens and Boston Commons. Room service was fast and delicious. It definately has the feel of an older hotel, but in all the best ways - meaning that it is stately and graceful and a terrific place to stay.

Dear schroederjt,

We, at the Boston Park Plaza, would like to thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. It is always a pleasure to receive such a great review and we appreciate your 4 star "kudos" regarding our service. Our guests are our top priority and our staff is always available to help make your stay a truly world-class experience. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again soon to Boston!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed at the BPPH for the beginning of our trip to the States. Arrived late and checked in straight away. The receptionist was polite and offered us free WiFi which was fast and reliable.

We stayed on the 14th floor and had a view over the back of the property. The room was spacious and clean. The room had two queen beds, a decent TV with a good range of cable channels and a coffee making machine. A free newpaper was also avaliable from the lobby each morning.

The location of this hotel is excellent, literally a stones throw away from the Public Gardens and the Cheers Bar. Would highly recommend this hotel and if we returned to Boston would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Good views from the rooms.
Dear Craig,

Thank you kindly for your review of the Boston Park Plaza. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to hosting you again soon!

Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I was in town for a business event at the nearby State Room. I had an early flight the next morning and I knew I would have a late night celebrating with colleagues – so I chose to stay at Boston Park Plaza instead of our official company hotel. The hotel is a good value for downtown Boston and its close proximity to the airport.

This is an older hotel. Seems like it might be from the 1920s or 30s with some art deco influence. The rooms are small and no-frills but mine was clean and I slept well. All the staff I encountered were helpful and friendly. There is valet parking.

This is not a luxury or destination hotel but it is just fine for those traveling on a budget or are just passing through.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear BoulderWorldTraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that your stay exceeded your expectations. We look forward to your next visit!

June McDougall

Been to Boston Park Plaza? Share your experiences!