This is the second time this year I have been at the Park Plaza for business. Both times, the hotel has been the selection of the organizers of the business event, not mine.
I wouldn't choose this hotel for business people. Plain and simple. It doesn't have the amenities that are expected for that type of visit.
The rooms are very small. For this visit, I paid $40 additional for two full beds because my marketing person was staying with me for a couple nights of my visit. Instead of the tiny room I had for my stay in May, I got a very small room (i.e., a hair bigger). For $40 on top of an already expensive (standard) "hotel in a big city" rate, I'd appreciate a bit more than 20 extra square feet.
The amenities in the room are spare. There is no luggage rack for a suitcase. All the cups for water and coffee are paper or plastic. There is one dresser with two small drawers and one larger cabinet-type drawer. For a two person room, this is hardly enough space to put your clothes. The desk is tiny and there are no plugs up top to use (like in the lamp or similar, like most business hotels have). Instead, you must crawl under the desk to plug your device into whatever plug is available on the power strip. The only other outlet in the room is behind the beds and you have to pull out the power strip from under the nightstand. The rooms are fairly dim because the two lamps in the room don't put out quite enough light.
In terms of the bathroom, it is small, like others have said. You have to move out of the way to close the door, which just barely clears the very industrial style toilet. The tub is basic and the faucets are old, but the water pressure and temperature were good. I noted that they only gave us three towels for a two-bed room. It seemed stingy, considering two or more (up to four) people could sleep in the room.
Two items stood out in particular:
- when I arrived, the ceiling lamp in the entry area had two of the three lightbulbs out and I had to call the front desk to get someone up to fix it;
- more importantly, the heat didn't work in the room. I turned the thermostat up to 80 and the AC unit kept blowing cold air. I tried calling the front desk from the phone in my room and got an endless hold with a machine telling me how important my call was. In the end, I had to go the front desk and let them know in person. They said they would send someone up to fix it or give me a space heater. I am currently eating dinner at the restaurant downstairs but I fully expect to find a space heater in my room when I get back up. I'm not spending $300 a night with tax for a space heated room. I can get that in a rickety old hotel for a lot cheaper.
Despite the fact that the hotel is well located, I wouldn't choose this hotel for a business stay if I had my druthers. I likely wouldn't select it for pleasure, either, with my husband and two kids.
I fully intend to ask for the cost of my internet ($12.95/day) to be removed from my bill to make up for the two different service calls I had to make regarding my room.
To the hotel manager who I see responds to many of these ratings: I would prefer not to hear that you have shared my feedback with your team and that you are working to improve, etcetera etc etc. That's not why I wrote this review. I wrote it to give a comprehensive review of your property so others may be informed of what the Plaza is like when selecting from the many Back Bay hotels. I know you value my input. Thank you for that. For your information, I was in room 695, checking in on Saturday, November 2 and checking out on Wednesday, November 6.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of historic Back Bay, Boston Park Plaza is located only 3 miles from Logan International Airport and only 200 yards from the nation's first public parks, Boston Common & the Public Garden. The hotel is easily accessible to shopping along world renowned Newbury Street, Faneuil Hall Marketplace, the Theatre & Financial Districts and most historic landmarks. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Otel, Sabre Hospitality Solutions and TripOnline SA so you can book your Boston Park Plaza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Boston Park Plaza Hotel And Towers
- Boston Park Plaza Hotel