“Service that needs some work” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #70 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Cumberland, Rhode Island
“Service that needs some work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I stayed here overnight for a work conference recently. Given the disappointing experience I had a few yrs. ago, I was not eager to return. However, for the sake of convenience I did.

The hotel itself is in a good location a short distance from Back Bay train station and a short walk away from the Boston common. I felt safe walking around the neighborhood alone during the day. Exhale Spa is just across the street and they offer discounts to hotel guests. The staff and the experience were both wonderful at Exhale.

I had to spend the first night of my stay at a nearby hotel due to the fact that this hotel was full. While at the hotel to register for my conference the next day, I asked a check-in person to check to see if there was any availability for the following night. She seemed annoyed and told me they were full for that night as well. I checked online 2 hours later & there were multiple rooms available. For the sake of convenience, I booked one of them.

My room was on the towers level. This is a great option for solo travelers who don't enjoy dining alone. I like to make a light dinner of the evening hors d'oeuvres presentation. While the food was good, the service was definitely substandard. The bartender had a negative attitude and also did a poor job of setting out serving utensils. I had to grab tongs from the fruit station because there were none at the hot food section. There also was cheese but no utensil with which to cut it. I had to get a knife to use and then left it for other guests to use. When I asked for a napkin because there were none on the serving station, the annoyed response I got was, "You did not see any on the table?" It was annoying that he did a poor job of setting things up and then was rude to boot. I would expect a better level of service when I am paying extra money for these amenities. The poor service in the towers lounge continued at breakfast the next morning. I walked in and the woman working at the bar did not make eye contact or speak. When I cheerfully said, "Good morning". She gave me an irritated look and did not say it back to me. The offering of food was simple but good (fruits, pastries, & bagels). It was not a friendly or welcoming environment.

At the hotel's lounge restaurant, I also encountered poor service. I had a salad in the lounge. The server seemed very inconvenienced by having to wait on me despite the fact that the restaurant was pretty empty. I asked for ice water to go with my $20 salad. When he delivered the salad, he dropped it off & started to walk away from me. I had to ask him to fill my half empty water glass. He never bothered to check in to see if I needed anything else or was enjoying my meal, only returning to drop the check on the table before quickly heading back into the kitchen. I had to walk across the restaurant and have someone get him because he left me a receipt for hotel guests. Since I was not staying at the hotel until the next day, I could not pay that way. So, I had to stand there & wait for him to correct the error that would not have occurred if he had bothered to ask if I was staying in the hotel. Again, an unfriendly encounter with the hotel staff.

The room itself was small but quiet, clean, and nicely decorated. It was nice to be on the top floor to hear less noise from the busy streets below. The bottled water that comes with towers level rooms was waiting for me in the room and much appreciated. It was a bit cramped in the small bathroom but this is common in older hotels such as this one.

Check out time at the hotel is 12:00. I returned to my room during a conference break at about 11:30 to find that housekeeping had already cleaned and prepared it for the next guest. This was despite the fact that I had given no indication that I was no longer using my room. I felt uncomfortable opening a new bar of soap until I remembered that I had paid for the room until noon. When I left the room, I called to let them know that I was done with the room. It seemed in poor taste that they were trying to reclaim the room before I had checked out.

All in all, an okay stay. It's worth staying here for a conference in the hotel for the sake of convenience. Other than that, I would prefer to stay elsewhere where I can get better service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
BobW-GeneralMgr, General Manager at Boston Park Plaza, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear carolgb328,

Thank you for your feedback. We are terribly sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your second stay wth us. Your comments regarding our service has been noted and our Director of Food & Beverage and Director of Front Office have been notified. Many apologies if you felt the service was laking in friendliness as we strive to offer wonderful customer service. In regards to your being able to book rooms online 2 hours after our agent told you that we were sold out: it is possible that potential guests canceled their reservation after your discussion, which is how room availability opened up. Please be assured if our agent had known of any availability when speaking with you, she would've been thrilled to help you reserve your room. We would also like to apologize if our housekeeper made you feel rushed. Due to human error, it's possible they mixed up your check-out date and thought you were staying another day, which is why they went ahead and cleaned your room while you were gone. Thank you again for your genuine input about your visit and we hope that you will consider staying with us again during your next conference.

The Boston Park Plaza Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (759)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Reykjavik, Iceland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Park Plaza September 4 - 10th and actually we got more than we expected. Thanks to the hotel's marketing coordinator Vanessa Kuo.
In June I made a reservation through hotwire.com without knowing where we would stay until I had paid our bill. After having read some remarks I was a bit worried about the quality of the hotel, sent an e-mail to the manager and asked for a large room if possible. Vanessa Kuo replied and we got a deluxe king room type with a view, clean and nice. Everything fulfilled our dreams.
When I look for a hotel central location comes first to mind. Safety and cleanliness are priorities. I'm not buying the place, just staying there for a short time. I don't want to spend too much money for a room as I don't live in it 24/7. Everything can be criticized but normally one gets what he pays for. This time we got much more.
The location of the Park Plaza is great. The room was clean and big enough, the staff was very friendly and helpful and Vanessa pointed out some very good restaurants in the area. If I was in the travelling business I would certainly want to have her aboard.
Steinthor Gudbjartsson

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Steinthor,

Thank you for sharing your stay with us! We are pleased to hear that above all else, service is what truly stood out on your stay with us, and we are happy that Vanessa was able to enhance your experience. Thank you again for your feedback; we hope to have you back as our guest very soon!

New York, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed at the Boston Park Plaza for two nights. Comfortable beds, strange room configuration - bed almost up against bathroom door. But fine. Looked out over nothing, but we weren't there to do anything but sleep. The lobby was great though. Fun people watching. It would be nice if they had free WiFi in the rooms, but the don't. Great location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
BobW-GeneralMgr, General Manager at Boston Park Plaza, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear audlor,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share feedback from your stay at the Boston Park Plaza. Our guest feedback is important to us as often times it may pinpoint an area of needed focus and attention. We appreciate your feedback and we understand that you have many options to choose from when making your travel plans. We would love the opportunity to welcome you back and deliver the level of service you have every right to expect from the Boston Park Plaza. Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

The Park Plaza was clearly built back when all that people expected was a room and a bathroom, no amenities and no luxuries. There was a queen-sized bed (we were told no kings existed or were available, can't remember which) and it took up most of the room. There was one dresser, one desk, and one chair -- nowhere else to sit except on the bed. The bathroom was tiny and there was only room for one person to use it at a time. There was only a narrow shelf for toiletries for two people. Cleaning wasn't bad, but there was dust, price tags (from previous guests), and vacuum cleaner parts (!) under the bed. Cleaners sometimes didn't get to us until 3 in the afternoon -- which usually didn't matter, because the rooms were so cramped that we didn't spend much time in them. There's no refrigerator or honor bar. Walls were thin -- bring your earplugs. The Internet access was complimentary because we were there for a conference, but it was annoying to use -- one had to log back in every single time, not just once a day or once per visit. (I'm sure it was expensive to use if one didn't have access included in the booking.) The lobby is dark and noisy -- lots of hard surfaces. The only real plus of this hotel was its location, just a couple of blocks from the Boston Public Garden, the Swan Boats, and barely a block from the nearest "T" stop. I'd stay here again only if I couldn't afford something better -- the Four Seasons is across the street.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear BakerNomi,

Thank you for your feedback. We were disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your stay, nor did you enjoy any of the amenities we have to offer in our guestrooms. Please allow us to assure you that we indeed offer King guestroom options but want to apologize for the fact that they were all booked when you visited us. We value all guest comments and utilize them to help better our hotel so thank you again for sharing this information with us. All the best.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I booked this hotel through Priceline and shows up today with my dad and brother for a long -awaited guys trip. I had called 3 weeks ago, based on all the negative feedback on tripadvisor, to make sure we had 2 double beds in the room. The guy told me he entered it in the system and were all set. We show up today, and the girl at check-in says we have a room with one Murphy bed!! I told her we needed to switch to the room I requested, and she says they are all out. Meanwhile, the guy next to me had reserved a room with a king bed, and they were trying to switch him to a Murphy bed room, also. He was irate, and rightly so, as was I. I asked for a manager who came out and said she could find me a double bed room, but it would cost $40/night more because it was so much larger. I was furious and felt completely ripped off...as well as deceived because I had specifically requested a double bed room to start. We get to the room, and it is TINY!! i would have loved to have seen the size of the Murphy bed room.
I HOPE A MANAGER READS THIS WHILE I AM HERE AND DOES SOMETHING ABOUT THE COST AND REPRIMANDS THE RUDE STAFF.

Clary Groen

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
BobW-GeneralMgr, General Manager at Boston Park Plaza, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Clary,

Thank you for commenting. We are terribly sorry for any inconveniences we may have cuased you and would very much like to discuss things further with you. We welcome you to please contact our Executive Office and reference this review so that we may assist you.

Fort Bragg, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I had made reservations with the hotel a month prior to arrival. Our flight got into Boston in the evening and upon checking in we found out that someone with a similar name had earlier taken our room. The front desk apologized for the mistake but the room we were given was not to our expectations. The next morning I resolved that the problem would either be resolved or we would move to another hotel. That's when we met Vanessa at the front desk. She immediately assessed the situation, proposed an upgrade without being asked, compensated us for the internet fees already expended and turned what was becoming a disaster into a minor inconvenience. I want to publicly recognize Vanessa for her ability to gauge accurately an evolving problem, figure out a solution that made money for her employer and most importantly, made her customer happy. Thanks Vanessa.

Mr. and Mrs. David Patterson

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
BobW-GeneralMgr, Manager at Boston Park Plaza, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Mr. and Mrs. David Patterson,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We apologize for the confusion you encountered at check-in but are pleased that you were happy with your accommodations Vanessa was able to provide you. We are currently undergoing a training program for our staff to enhance our service quality. Your comments are duly noted and will be shared during our training sessions. We appreciate the feedback and it will assist us in better serving all our guests in the future.

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights Sept 8-10. The room was on theTower level, a bit small but the bed was great. Bathroom is very tiny also. Cleanliness and service was good.

Just a warning,do not leave anything valuable in the room if you stay at this hotel.

I came back in the room around lunch time, the door was not fully closed so I went in. There was a maintenance guy standing in the room and said to me: 'I was fixing the towel rack' and walked out. I said ok but few seconds later, I clearly remember using the rack that morning and there was no issue. I went in and check, nothing seems abnormal. No sign of wood dust or sign that any work was done to that door or rack. The guy had no tool in his hands. Weird. I checked my stuff. Somebody from the staff had decided to put their hands into my toilettrie pouch and stole a spray perfume bottle. Luckily, it was nothing expensive so i did not make a scene with it. I was just happy that I had the reflex that morning to lock my luggage and stored my macair and ipad in the safe. Maybe the guy was there just to take a break from his job but that should not happen.

Of course , I will not go back to this hotel. Hotel staff can go in and out of any room anytime and if they are dishonest, this is not an experience that a tourist or client would want to go through while away of their home.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear kddfam,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please accept our apologies for the inconviniences you experienced; we would like to investigate your the circumstances of your review further. Would you please contact our Executive Office and reference this review so that we may assist you? Thank you again for your comments.

The Boston Park Plaza Management Team

Been to Boston Park Plaza? Share your experiences!