“A good 3 star it is and the price does not justify the service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
TripAdvisor Exclusive
Ranked #71 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Oslo
“A good 3 star it is and the price does not justify the service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed here because this was the venue for the 4-days long conference i was attending. And I will NOT recommend this hotel to others (for the price you pay, I am sure you get better service and rooms at other hotels).

LOCATION: The location of the hotel is great. Arlington T (subway) station is just 20 secs away from the front door of the hotel. There are plenty of nice restaurants and a great food court nearby. Theater district, Chinatown, Boston Park, the Freedom Trail and many other Boston attractions are all in walking distance.

SERVICE: Simply terrible. Check-in took ages. Daily room clean up was not satisfying.

ROOM: Size of the room was ok. I had a room with king sized bed. There is a HDTV and coffee making facility in the room. Bathroom is OK and simple bathroom amenities are included. Shower pressure is OK.

SLEEP QUALITY: Terrible. I could hear people walking in the hallway and the traffic outside. Their air-con makes terrible noise. I had to turn it off to get some sleep. So no good noise isolation.

All in all, if this was not my conference hotel, I would have checked out the second day. Would not stay here again!

Room Tip: I had room on 7th floor and could clearly hear the traffic outside. So go for rooms on higher floors...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mark_Anderson-GM, General Manager at Boston Park Plaza, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear lightonthestreet,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your feedback. We sincerely apologize that your stay did not turn out as expected. It is very disappointing and embarrassing to hear about the multiple issues you experienced, as our staff takes a lot of pride in the service we provide on a daily basis. Your experience has been shared with our Hotel Operations Team to ensure that our staff receives additional training. While there is never a second chance to make a good first impression, we thank you for your genuine input about your visit and hope that you will consider staying with us again during your next trip to Boston. Should you like to discuss this matter further, we invite you to contact our Executive Office so that we can be of further assistance.

The Park Plaza Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (830)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Winchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights in this hotel. The first room I was given was dirty, claustraphobic and with a view of and ouside wall. I asked to change room and was given one which the receptionist said had an 'excellent view', basically it was the same view except this one had the window in the middle rather than the corner. I was very tired so gave in and went to bed. The rooms are extremely small and very claustraphobic, even for a single traveller, they are also very dated and not particularly clean, especially the bathrooms. I tried room service one night, it took an hour and a half, was stone cold and virtually inedible, with wine it cost 75 USD, a little excessive even for Boston. Never again will I stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel, the staff are not bothered about you as a guest.
Dear jed1906,

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. It was very disheartening to read and we must apologize for the discomfort you experienced while with us. We thank you for giving us the opportunity to use your review as a guideline for service and communication improvement and hope that you'll allow us another chance in the future to make amends.

Penang
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The receptionist attempted to re-authorise my credit card every single day I was there. Eventually blew the limit off as I was being authorised 10 times as much as the cost of my stay. Had to call the bank and rectify this. They were still unapologetic suggesting that this is usually done in the states. A very unhappy European customer!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Mark_Anderson-GM, General Manager at Boston Park Plaza, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Meelin,

On behalf of the Park Plaza, please accept our apologies for the confusion with your credit card. We invite you to contact our Executive Office and reference this review so that we can further investigate the circumstances of your visit.

Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The location was excellent, hotel was beautiful with one big drawback...our room smelled AWFUL! It was absolutely disgusting. When we asked the front desk if we could change rooms they pretty much told us to just deal with it. No free wifi in rooms, which was unfortunate as I was there on business.

Room Tip: Avoid the 8th floor
Dear kayteemcg,

Thank you for bringing your experience at the Park Plaza to our attention. Your feedback provides us unfettered insight, and thus affords us a better understanding of your stay. We apologize that your experience was not what you expected from the Park Plaza and we would love the opportunity to welcome you back and be able to "wow" you next time. Thank you again for commenting.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

With the exception of the valet, the service here is terrible. I just get in after traveling 8 hours just to hear my room isnt ready (at 2:30) and check in is at 3 BUT she couldnt tell me when it would be ready. Her answer: "It could be one hour, it could be 3". No, I'm sorry, we'll get to it as soon as we can. Her best offer was to give me a downgraded room. After that, I head to the cafe right off the lobby. The service staff didnt even acknowledge me until I asked (and she walked by me twice). She finally offers a table but asks me to wait while she sets it up. I have three giant bags in my hand + a jacket and she wants me to wait? I told her I was going to sit down anyway. It takes the waiter over 5 minutes to acknowledge me. It's clear it is really busy here but that's not my fault. I totally understand and would normally just deal with it but they are incredibly non-apologetic. When you know you are busy and people are waiting, simply apologizing goes a long way. When an establishment like this cant even acknowledge it and quite frankly doesnt care, they will never get my business again. I'm so annoyed I had to go online and write a review. Tip to management: every business has its moments but it's how you handle it that makes a difference. You guys get a "D" on this one and that's only because the valet was so nice. Step it up people.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear AngelaSanfilippo,

Thank you for posting your feedback. We hope that you'll allow us to extend multiple apologies for the guestroom and restaurant service shortfalls. In no way does this reflect the service culture we strive to foster at the Park Plaza; please rest assured that our Executive Team has been notified. It's our mission to deliver world-class service during your stay, and we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again so that we can "wow" you.

Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed here a few years back. Very nice place. Great Location. Room had a great view of Downtown Boston and hotel was beside everywhere we wanted to go to. the bar in the lobby did some great drink and food deals. It was quite expensive tho for what we got.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear rockfist,

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and our central downtown Boston location. Thank you for your feedback, and hopefully you will choose to stay with us again should your travels bring you back to our fair city.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I'm torn whether this is supposed to be modern retro or just outdated. I decided a little of both. The lobby is reminiscent of an older time, but is still sleek. It had a great buzz as we entered, but I realized that's because it was filled with guests trying to use free wi-fi since that's the only place it's free.

Check-in was a mess. There's no clear line and people just lined up wherever. It happened each day we were there, so it's nothing out of the ordinary.

The rooms were dated and can widely vary. One had an antique bathtub and odd dual shower-head. The other had a modern shower with an outdated sink and floor tiles. The TV was oddly situated in the room, but there was no other place to put it since it was about a foot smaller than it should have been. I will say the beds were quite comfortable although there was hair on the spare blanket in the closet.

As others have noted the rooms can be loud. I heard the people next door talking late at night and traffic noise can be a problem on some sides of the hotel.

The service fees are outrageous. $25 each for breakfast, $46 to park overnight and the list goes on. For $150-$200 a night, some amenities should be included.

Boston's a competitive place and I'm staying elsewhere next time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mark_Anderson-GM, General Manager at Boston Park Plaza, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear travelbuddy24,

On behalf of the Park Plaza family, please accept our sincerest apologies for the poor experience you had during your recent stay with us. Our guests, and providing them with an experience above and beyond their expectations, is the top priority for us, and we obviously failed to meet that standard. Your feedback has been shared with our Hotel Operations team, and we have taken corrective measures to ensure that we will work through these issues. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at the hotel.

The Park Plaza Management Team

Been to Boston Park Plaza? Share your experiences!